AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

Samsung LN-S4051D 40-IN. LCD vs Sony KDL-40S2000 40-IN. BRAVIA LCD

1461 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Guy Legend
Which is the better choice? Both are available for about the same price right now and are probably my final selections.

Both have a 8ms response time, the Samsung has a better brightness and contrast ratio, but the Sony has a QAM tuner (which I'm debating whether or not this is a big deal). Both also have a max. resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. I think both are capable of 1080i.

Any opinions of this? Thanks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
i had both the samsung 4041 and the Sony in my house. the sony's still here.

the black levels were much, much better on the Sony, text was more crisp, and the design was better suited to my taste.

I also found that i didnt have to adjust the settings after the first time with the Sony, where the Samsung was never quite right when i moved from source to source.

i know it isnt the 4051, but even for a bit of a step up ( some couldnt tell the 2 apart, pq wise ) the samsungs wouldnt have done it for me. I dont have any brand loyalty here - i bought the samsung first expecting to keep it.
Avoid the Samsung 4051D , the Bravia is the better unit .

------- Jason
Seems like nobody likes the Samsung....

I'm going to go compare them again side by side, but I don't think I could go wrong with either. I like the exterior looks of the Samsung and the fact that the brightness numbers are a lot higher. However, the Sony does have the QAM tuner - I think.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input.
Well, after checking out the TVs in store myself.....I will probably end up going with the Samsung.

The picture was great on both TVs, but the Samsung's exterior looks seal the deal. The specs are almost identical, except for the Samsung's higher brightness. Both are top tier manufacturers, so the quality and reliability of both should be comparable.

And for what it's worth (very little ;) ), the Best Buy guys were proclaiming the Samsung to be the better unit.
The Samsung is definitely the better choice. 2 HDMI and a 92% color reproduction vs. 74% on the Sony, color saturation is much better and the colors have more of a pop. For those who were complaining about the settings of the set, put the picture mode to "Movie" and the color temperature to "Warm 2" and you will have a TV that almost matches the 6500K spectrum (aka videophile quality picture). Be sure to select "Low" on the energy savings menu to really get the set to show off its impressive contrast and black levels. Best Buy guys don't usually know much, but in this case they are correct.
Matro, the 4041 is basically the same TV as the KDL-40S2000, in fact they use the exact same panel. Granted out of the box settings are way off on both set , the Sony's picture is more appealing to most consumers (at least in terms of skin tones). However, after calibration, you would probably end up with the 4041. Granted the cabinet of the 4041 is clearly not as appealing as the 4051, the black frame will help the set have a better perceived contrast. That is one of the reasons that Sony slightly modified their Bravia line and relaunched is as the KDL-40S2010 with a darker frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfanatic
The Samsung is definitely the better choice. 2 HDMI and a 92% color reproduction vs. 74% on the Sony, color saturation is much better and the colors have more of a pop. For those who were complaining about the settings of the set, put the picture mode to "Movie" and the color temperature to "Warm 2" and you will have a TV that almost matches the 6500K spectrum (aka videophile quality picture). Be sure to select "Low" on the energy savings menu to really get the set to show off its impressive contrast and black levels. Best Buy guys don't usually know much, but in this case they are correct.
Thanks for the post. :cool:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.