·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 LN40A450

vs.

LN32A650

Both are within my $1000 budget!

LN32A650 pros: 1080p, better contrast ratio, 6 series model which is the top of the line 32" model since the 7 series starts at 40" and up.

Cons: Not 120Hz like its larger models, 32" and 1080p................ is it worth it?

LN40A450 pros: 8" bigger, biggest and best model of the Samsung 4 series and is $2 cheaper than the 32A650

Cons: Not 1080p, for some reason doesn't seem like I'm buying the best due to it being categorized as Samsungs second lowest model series. It's just me, but it seems like I'm buying a Wal-Mart lcd.

Which one should I buy?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14168508

LN40A450

vs.

LN32A650

Both are within my $1000 budget!

LN32A650 pros: 1080p, better contrast ratio, 6 series model which is the top of the line 32" model since the 7 series starts at 40" and up.

Cons: Not 120Hz like its larger models, 32" and 1080p................ is it worth it?

LN40A450 pros: 8" bigger, biggest and best model of the Samsung 4 series and is $2 cheaper than the 32A650

Cons: Not 1080p, for some reason doesn't seem like I'm buying the best due to it being categorized as Samsungs second lowest model series. It's just me, but it seems like I'm buying a Wal-Mart lcd.

Which one should I buy?

Bigger is usually better...why don't you compromise and take the 550 series into account? Maybe a 37A550?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/14168535

Bigger is usually better...why don't you compromise and take the 550 series into account? Maybe a 37A550?

37A550 is over my $1000 budget, and I don't like the design of the 550 series models for some reason. If I'm going to get a lcd under 40" I at least want one of the top of the line models(6 series model).

Sorry I'm stubborn

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got the 40A450 and glad I did ! I wouldn't trade it for smaller now !

Think it is obvious though

Hum if 1o80p isn't that much important for you take the 40a450 and enjoy 40inch screen size

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14168896

I'm going to be using this lcd primarily for HD gaming, blu ray, and watching T.V.

HD gaming off of what, your PS3 or Xbox 360? If so you won't get any improvement from a 1080p set.

How far are you sitting away from the screen? If you plan on sitting 6-7ft or farther I wouldn't even consider the 1080p set.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both PS3 and 360 and I sit fairly close when playing video games for some odd reason. I sit a little farther back when watching a movie, or T.V., but this is on a smaller crt screen. I've never gamed on a screen over 30" much less an lcd so.......... I take it I should go with the 40", huh? What about technically, is the 32650 better than the 40450? I agree bigger is better, but I want the best bang for my buck!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reiterating what someone said above ... 1080p is not needed unless you plan on PC use. If not, buy the 40a450 and forget about it. The bulk of HD games are 720p, anyway, and HD/BD movies look great on just about anything you put them on.

Do yourself the favor and go big. There's just been TOO MANY people who went with smaller size sets, only to have "buyer's remorse" that they didn't go bigger when they could have.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I just bought the LN32A650 from the Big River. I haven't received it yet though. I did see that great deal at BB on it which surprised me that it was even lower than Big River but then Big River went to about $5 less and no tax and free shipping so I went with them. You do get the free portable DVD at BB though if that matters. I would think the 32A650 would have better picture (more pop, better colors etc.) because of the gloss screen.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjav /forum/post/14178126

Reiterating what someone said above ... 1080p is not needed unless you plan on PC use. If not, buy the 40a450 and forget about it. The bulk of HD games are 720p, anyway, and HD/BD movies look great on just about anything you put them on.

Do yourself the favor and go big. There's just been TOO MANY people who went with smaller size sets, only to have "buyer's remorse" that they didn't go bigger when they could have.

For PC use, going as big as you can may not be the best thing. I can afford both the 32" and 37" 1080p samsung 650. However, I am almost completely set on the 32" model. Why? Because it has a higher pixel density. That is important for PC use. My 20" 1680 x 1050 LCD monitor has a pixel density of around 100 PPI while I believe the 32" 1080p is around 70PPI.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveworms /forum/post/14179635

For PC use, going as big as you can may not be the best thing. I can afford both the 32" and 37" 1080p samsung 650. However, I am almost completely set on the 32" model. Why? Because it has a higher pixel density. That is important for PC use. My 20" 1680 x 1050 LCD monitor has a pixel density of around 100 PPI while I believe the 32" 1080p is around 70PPI.

I get that. That is why I said "1080p is not needed unless you plan on PC use". For someone intending to do significantly more HD gaming, HD movie viewing, HD cable/sat viewing, etc. than PC use (if any at all), bigger is better.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymud /forum/post/14182823

get the 40

1080 on anything less than a 47 inch is unneeded

or so I read...and it makes sense

False! False! False! Propagated by folks that are not educated in what 1080P truly is and what's being streamed in those HD signals and perhaps can excuse a lower budget for a weenie size home theater. Please folks go study the five part series in my signature block on the Importance of 1080P before you spout off this baloney.

Considering 1.5 times the number of pixels can never be anything less than better that math is very easy. Also, for those too lazy to read the article understand that within every Broadcast Master amd Film there is a perfect 1080P at 24fps folded within that can be passed through to the panel to get the BEST possible PQ. Reward yourself though and save more for a 40"> panel if you plan on viewing for a number of years and remember that 32" will become a weenie 26" when doing SD.

I can attest with owning four LCD TV's from a 23" in the kitchen, a 32" in an armoire that wil be replaced by a 40" soon and a 45" in a loft and a 57" Sharp as my HT that with each size increase the viewing got friggin better and everything became better with the bigger size. I'll tell you what for those non-believers place a 1:1 panel that is native fixed pixel of 1080P with ten bit processing or> next to a 720P and the 1080P QUALITY panel will blow away the 720P even at 32" as long as it's not a POS off brand rebadger - the 650/750 Samsung is at the top of the LCD Hill IMO.

Now if you were to buy an average off-brand panel that is 8 bit and 1080P and place it next to a 720P Sony 40S3000 at 720P that was ten bit with ten bit processing IT will win hands down from the ten bit factor as ten/ten bit quadruples the details in PQ the 8 bit panel cannot provide. My point is don't buy the 8 bit panel and if your going to go 720P buy a ten bit panel.

From SonyStyle:

"10-bit Processing and 10-bit Display

While it's great to state that a TV is capable of creating billions of colors it's a whole lot better when you have a display that can actually display them. That's the logic behind Sony's 10-bit processor and 10-bit display. Sony follows 10-bit processing with a 10-bit panel, allowing 64 times the levels of color expression than an 8-bit panel. What that translates to is smoother transitions from color to color and subtle color changes faithfully reproduced."

Conventional panel with 8-bit processing: Colour gradient is rough (Per JVC LCD)

True 10-bit Panel with 10-bit processing (BELOW): Colour spectrum has increased by 64-fold compared to an 8-bit processing, reproducing very smooth colour gradient as shown here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I should just save up for a 1080p 40" Samsung, huh? I can get the LN40A550 for $200 over my budget, which isn't all that bad seeing as how I can easily afford it. Although I can't stand that white trim at the bottom of the 550 series lcd's the 40A550 has been getting some good reviews. Thing is I didn't really want to spend over a grand for a T.V., but I guess you get what you pay for and at $1199 I guess you get quality with the 40A550.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts