AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both 40". Both Samsung. Both quality lcd's. Which one should I get?

I can get the LN40A450 for $997 and I can get the LN40A550 for $1199, a $200 differential. I can afford both, yet I really don't want to spend over a grand for a T.V.. Is the extra $200 worth an extra 1ms refresh rate, 20'000 extra contrast ratio and 1080p? Is 1080p at 40" noticeable?

LN40A450

LN40A550

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
what are you using it for? Cable? Satellite? DVD's? PS3? Xbox 360? PC Monitor?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I will spend the extra for the LN40A550 and get 1080P and a slightly higher feature set. Its not really that much more considering a TV is a long term investment.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14195491

Going to be using it for PS3/360, blu ray, and watching both standard and soon to be all high def cable.

if you're going to use it with a PS3, than get the 550, since the PS3 has a great Blu-ray player built-in and you can always pick up a HD DVD player (even though it's a dead format, there are still some great HD DVD's that haven't gone to Blu-ray yet) for about $50 or so. i don't know what you mean by all high def cable though...

·
Registered
156 Posts
You've asked the 720 vs 1080 question repeatedly now, and haven't listened to the advice already given. 720 looks beautiful, even at this size, but for your sake I recommend you splurge a little for the 550. You'll forget about the extra $200 you spent much more quickly then those ~360 lines you'd be "missing."

·
Registered
209 Posts
My .02 is I just returned a Sharp 720P set, it was a nice pic but the black levels were terrible. I debated between the Sammy LN40A550 and the Sony KDL-40V4100.

I had the store hook up Blu-Ray to each one vs the crappy feed. First of all, the Sammy SMOKED the pic of the Sony and to be honest, I had no pre-conceived notion as to which one to go with but the Sony to me clearly had a hazy sheen compared to the Sammy.

On to the 720P vs 1080P, for me, playing MGS4 on the PS3 on the Sammy 1080P it was a whole new experience and NO WAY would I ever go back to 720P.

Now, the ONLY negative for the Sammy compared to the Sharp, is the 8bit panel on the Sammy. The nice smooth gradiations on the Sharp are not there on the Sammy. I don't know if the 650 or 750 have a 10bit panel but since this is not the main living room tv I'm not jumping up in the line.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14194637

Both 40". Both Samsung. Both quality lcd's. Which one should I get?

I can get the LN40A450 for $997 and I can get the LN40A550 for $1199, a $200 differential. I can afford both, yet I really don't want to spend over a grand for a T.V.. Is the extra $200 worth an extra 1ms refresh rate, 20'000 extra contrast ratio and 1080p? Is 1080p at 40" noticeable?

LN40A450

LN40A550

i wouldn't base my choice on 1080p or 720p, i really doubt that you'll notice 1080p at 40 inches escpecially at over 5-6 feet........i really think that you should take a few minutes to view both in store and to see if you can see a difference between the 2 sets.....you could also purchase a surround sound system with the money you save.......

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I decided and I went with the LN40A............................................450, please don't hurt me!

I got it for $989 at hhgregg which was $210 less than the LN40A550. Both lcd's displayed some crap HD local channel feed. I had to badger the hell out of the sales clerk to hook up a blu-ray player to both the 450 and 550 which were next to each other, to compare. Both lcd's were hooked up through a HDMI cable to the blu ray player and when I looked at the picture I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two sets. Where's the 1080p, I asked. Looks the same to me!

The sales clerk of course said she saw a little tiny difference between the two, but after calling bs on her statement she finally came clean. She then said "honestly the 550 just sounds and looks better on paper compared to the 450, it all comes down to whether it's worth the extra $200." The extra 20,000 in dynamic contrast, 1ms less response time and extra resolution that I couldn't see wasn't worth the extra $210.

I even took a glance at the sammy's with 120Hz and couldn't tell the difference in picture quality. To be honest I think all this 1080p and 120Hz refresh rate crap is just a marketing gimmick. I am happy with my purchase. The best thing I like about my lcd and I guess all the other Samsung models compared to other brands are their black levels. Although the people on screen cloths, appeared to be darker their skin and facial features looked so clear and crisp.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14207843

I had to badger the hell out of the sales clerk to hook up a blu-ray player to both the 450 and 550 which were next to each other, to compare. Both lcd's were hooked up through a HDMI cable to the blu ray player and when I looked at the picture I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two sets. Where's the 1080p, I asked. Looks the same to me!

I need to ask... Were the settings the same for both sets & did you use a quality Blu-Ray movie using VC-1 compression? Was it the same movie in both running at the same time?

I would suggest The Bucket List = Fantastic looking!

I feel you made a mistake by not getting a 1080P LCD & one of the very best at this time in the 550.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14207843

I even took a glance at the sammy's with 120Hz and couldn't tell the difference in picture quality. To be honest I think all this 1080p and 120Hz refresh rate crap is just a marketing gimmick. I am happy with my purchase. The best thing I like about my lcd and I guess all the other Samsung models compared to other brands are their black levels. Although the people on screen cloths, appeared to be darker their skin and facial features looked so clear and crisp.

120Hz has nothing to do with "picture quality." Please don't call something "crap" and a "marketing gimmick" when you don't even know what it does. Not trying to be mean or anything, you just sound like you're a little uninformed (which is fine). Glad you enjoy your purchase, you have a fine set.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior /forum/post/14208198

I feel you made a mistake by not getting a 1080P LCD & one of the very best at this time in the 550.

A mistake in YOUR opinion. The benefits of 1080p are often hard to see, especially when the consumer is purchasing a 40" TV and sitting a decent distance away from their set. The 450 is a fantastic set as well. He is happy with his purchase, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooterz /forum/post/14211717

120Hz has nothing to do with "picture quality."

well i guess it kinda does, because less blurring, and smearing will enhance your viewing experiance, and the quality of your picture......personally i don't really notice or find the need of 120 hz........

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooterz /forum/post/14211718

A mistake in YOUR opinion. The benefits of 1080p are often hard to see, especially when the consumer is purchasing a 40" TV and sitting a decent distance away from their set.

Yeah... If you have bad eyesight also. From 8 Feet away I can see a far clearer picture on a 1080P 40" HDTV with the source material being 1080P, than 1080P material downgraded to a 720 native 40" HDTV.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazm899 /forum/post/14222149

well i guess it kinda does, because less blurring, and smearing will enhance your viewing experiance, and the quality of your picture......personally i don't really notice or find the need of 120 hz........

120hz can & will also look fake to many people (Soap Opera effect) & lose the affect of being a FILM when watching a movie.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay I'm starting to regret not having 1080p. Although I know that 1080p only sounds better and looks better on paper, but it's starting to sound a little to good. I'm also starting to get the feeling that 1080p would have been a much better investment for long term use. Not only that, but as a previous owner of the LNT3253H the LN40A450 doesn't seem to different in appearance, or specs. I feel like I bought just a larger model of last years model lcd.

I read an older article on cnet.com saying that contrast ratio is the #1 most important thing to look at when buying an lcd with resolution being a distant 4th thing to look at. The contrast on the 40a550 is much better than my 40a450.

I have up until next Thursday to return the lcd for an almost full refund(90% money back, 10% off for restocking fee). Should I return it and invest in the 40a550? I tell you one thing if I do then I will make for damn sure that I sit 1" away from it, so I can get the full benefit out of my extra $210!

Ugh I hate feeling regret and I hate the fact that I can't make up my mind.

·
UHD Addict
38,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14225093

I'm also starting to get the feeling that 1080p would have been a much better investment for long term use. .

That alone should have been reason enough to get the 1080P set.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergshorty /forum/post/14225093

Okay I'm starting to regret not having 1080p. Although I know that 1080p only sounds better and looks better on paper, but it's starting to sound a little to good. I'm also starting to get the feeling that 1080p would have been a much better investment for long term use. Not only that, but as a previous owner of the LNT3253H the LN40A450 doesn't seem to different in appearance, or specs. I feel like I bought just a larger model of last years model lcd.

I read an older article on cnet.com saying that contrast ratio is the #1 most important thing to look at when buying an lcd with resolution being a distant 4th thing to look at. The contrast on the 40a550 is much better than my 40a450.

I have up until next Thursday to return the lcd for an almost full refund(90% money back, 10% off for restocking fee). Should I return it and invest in the 40a550? I tell you one thing if I do then I will make for damn sure that I sit 1" away from it, so I can get the full benefit out of my extra $210!

Ugh I hate feeling regret and I hate the fact that I can't make up my mind.

Buyers remorse will haunt you continuously. Bottom line you have to decide based on your budget, with that said as the 1080P will only be a few hundred more I would strongly urge you to wait until you can afford the 1080P.

If you don't have a PS3, become friend's with someone that does and after changing the settings to clicq's settings, hook up the PS3, throw in MGS4 and then marvel at the 1080P goodness.

You've heard various opinions on 720P vs. 1080P, unless you have to wear coke bottle glasses you should have no problem seeing the difference with a QUALITY source. Pick up the 550 and report back with your findings. I would also strongly recommend buying from a dealer that does NOT charge a restocking fee.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts