AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Samsung LN40A550, but after seeing a friend's Panasonic plasma, I'm wondering if I should return the LCD and save a few bucks by going with the slightly larger (2") Panasonic TH-42PX80U.

I sit about 9-10' away from the TV, so the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't a big deal. The room has little to no direct sunlight and low ambient light, so glare isn't a big issue. My only concern is the potential for burn in because I do some gaming, although not a lot.

So, should I return the LCD and go with the Plasma?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am deciding between the same exact two TVs. Is there a glare issue with the plasma? I am leaning toward the plasma but I have a fairly bright room. Also I like the Samsung's lighted remote but it's not worth $200 more for that small feature (970 vs 767) on Amazon. I think either would be awesome compared to my old (1997) Mitsubishi 31" tube tv, but is there a clear advantage to one of them? Both companies offer excellent service. I see no great advantage to 1080 for my viewing preferences. I watch a lot of sports but reviews I've seen say the Samsung LCD has no discernible problem with fast moving action. I've been stuck fence sitting between these two excellent TVs for a month now!

Anyone have anything to contribute to our decisions? Many thanks!

·
Registered
16,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice727 /forum/post/15440718

I recently purchased the Samsung LN40A550, but after seeing a friend's Panasonic plasma, I'm wondering if I should return the LCD and save a few bucks by going with the slightly larger (2") Panasonic TH-42PX80U.

I sit about 9-10' away from the TV, so the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't a big deal. The room has little to no direct sunlight and low ambient light, so glare isn't a big issue. My only concern is the potential for burn in because I do some gaming, although not a lot.

So, should I return the LCD and go with the Plasma?

At 9-10' away, I would encourage you to consider a 50" display. With no ambient light, at 50", I would recommend a 1080p plasma.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan607 /forum/post/15586038

I am deciding between the same exact two TVs. Is there a glare issue with the plasma? I am leaning toward the plasma but I have a fairly bright room. Also I like the Samsung's lighted remote but it's not worth $200 more for that small feature (970 vs 767) on Amazon. I think either would be awesome compared to my old (1997) Mitsubishi 31" tube tv, but is there a clear advantage to one of them? Both companies offer excellent service. I see no great advantage to 1080 for my viewing preferences. I watch a lot of sports but reviews I've seen say the Samsung LCD has no discernible problem with fast moving action. I've been stuck fence sitting between these two excellent TVs for a month now!

Anyone have anything to contribute to our decisions? Many thanks!

If you cannot control the ambient light, go with LCD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.