AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an LN40B530 (C Panel) from Best Buy roughly 2 weeks ago. I have noticed recently that whenever the image is panning the background details seem to dim and flicker as well as blur slightly. As soon as the image becomes stationary, if even for a fraction of a second, the scene brightens (especially the whites)and the image sharpens back up. This issue is most prevalent while watching sports sch as hockey/football, it almost looks as if the ambient light goes out over the crowd and background, ie whites gray out and detail is lost. The subjects in the foreground are sharp and well lit though. This issue is ocurring both with HD Broadcasts as well as DVD Playback.

Is this a settings issue?

I have noticed the issue in standard mode;

Contrast = 90

Backlight = 7

most other main settings near 50,

White Balance: Factory

Black level = Dark

Dynamic contrast = low/medium

EE= on

Gamma = -1

Is this a common issue? Also any ideas how to cure it?

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino /forum/post/18141349

I recently purchased an LN40B530 (C Panel) from Best Buy roughly 2 weeks ago. I have noticed recently that whenever the image is panning the background details seem to dim and flicker as well as blur slightly. As soon as the image becomes stationary, if even for a fraction of a second, the scene brightens (especially the whites)and the image sharpens back up.

I noticed something similar to what you described, when I was looking at some B530s last week at a couple of retailers. Sam's Club had a video feed that included a plane flying over a landscape, with the trees and stuff on the ground slowly panning down and under the camera. The dark green/black trees were kind of pulsating on the 40B as the plane flew past, like combination of what people call judder with some mild brightness change thrown in. It was an odd effect, sort of like a flickering combined with gaps in the motion. This effect did not occur on the Vizio SV420M situated right next to the Samsung. I attributed the difference to the Vizio's 120hz and perhaps image processing software.

Later I noticed a similar thing at Walmart, this time when comparing a Samsung 47B530 to a Vizio SV470XVT. There were a few camera pans, where on the Samsung, the background had a judder effect, like there were frames missing, while the Vizio panned background was smooth. I played around a bit with the Vizio image processing to see if I could re-create the Samsung effect on the Vizio, but ran out of time.

What I would like to do is compare a Samsung B530 directly against another 60hz set with same image feed, to see if the same effect takes place on both sets. Up till now I was never a fan of the image processing available on some 120hz sets, but at least in the case of the images I was watching, if it was the processing that cleaned up the camera pans, it was not bad. Meaning I didn't see any noticeable artifacts or weird soap opera look.

Sorry I don't have an answer on how to address the effect, but after noticing it last week in the retail displays, it made enough of an impression that I brought it up a few days ago on another thread on this site.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 /forum/post/18141591

Sorry I don't have an answer on how to address the effect, but after noticing it last week in the retail displays, it made enough of an impression that I brought it up a few days ago on another thread on this site.

No problem, Thanks for mentioningyour experience, Thats my exact issue, I'm just glad to hear that its not my set alone. Can you post a link to the thread you mentioned? I'd like to reead up on what people had to say about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I played around with the calibration last night, and saw a small reduction in the pulsating/flickering, and motion blur, but unfortunately it's still present. I was watching the olympics in HD and saw noticable judder/blur of the background while panning. The detail on the boards of the ice rink was well smudged. THankfully there was no artifacting or ghosting.

Heres the odd part; later I started watching a on demand PBS HD show on wolves, and it was super sharp with only a very slight motion blur during the very fast motion scenes, and none of the pulsating/flicker issue at all...

So could it be the broadcast quality itself causing the motion blur issues?

Unfortunately I do not have a Blu-Ray player to see how 1080p performs, and my DVD player is somewhat aged and only displays in 480i, so thats no help either.

Settings now are:

Cable STB:

Aspect Ration: 16x9

Resolution: 1080i (720p was no improvement)

Sharpness: 1

TV:

Move Mode:

Backlight: 8

Contrast: 94

Brightness: 43

Sharpness: 0

Color: 48

G/R: 50/50

White Balance: Factory

Black Level: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

DNR: Off

EE: Off

Film Mode: Auto

HDMI Black Level: Off (Not Selectable)

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino /forum/post/18142518

Can you post a link to the thread you mentioned? I'd like to read up on what people had to say about it.

I mentioned the judder/flashing effect during pans, in the following thread, item number 4 in my quick review of the 46B530 compared to some other TVs, mainly a Vizio:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...149100&page=10

But there wasn't much discussion regarding the judder/flashing effect. The guy I was discussing with, ended up purchasing the Samsung. Didn't seem like he encountered the effect.

If I have a chance to return to Walmart this week or weekend, I plan to play around with the Samsung controls, and try to eliminate this effect. I will post back here on the results.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Hey people, its not only you guys, i have the exact same effect on my LN37B550, its kind of annoying but i only notice it sometimes when watching cable tv, i almost never notice it when playing xbox 360, i never noticed it while watching bluray, it must be something with the cable feed and the tv's processing i guess, i am also glad im not the only as i was thinkin i had a defective tv but appearntley not
otherwise the tv has an amazing HD picture

I am going to buy another one, probably an LN 37 C550 or 40 C550.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It's not the tv in most cases. I have seen it on my 40B650 and my Sony 40Z4100. I haven't really noticed it on my Samsung lnt4071f(2007 model) but that could be because I sit further back when watching that tv, it's in my bedroom. It's usually related to the poor broadcast quality. Also some channels are better than others. That can play a big factor for the pulsating and why 120hz doesn't always work or look good on some channels.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler /forum/post/18456585

It's not the tv in most cases. I have seen it on my 40B650 and my Sony 40Z4100. I haven't really noticed it on my Samsung lnt4071f(2007 model) but that could be because I sit further back when watching that tv, it's in my bedroom. It's usually related to the poor broadcast quality. Also some channels are better than others. That can play a big factor for the pulsating and why 120hz doesn't always work or look good on some channels.

Oh i see, i bet that i wouldnt be able to see that effect if i was sitting farther because right now im sitting close as the tv is my bedroom, something like 4ft.. if i was like 10 ft away i think i wouldnt notice it.. but ya its really annoying, i see it the most on TBS HD, and i hate that effect , its mostly visible in Dark areas of the movie

·
Registered
860 Posts
I also have issues with TBS and TNT at times. Neither channel seems to like 120hz or it is just has poor quality. I don't have it all the time but its been there for at least 2 years and still nothing has ever been done.

I would adjust your setting. Your current setting is crushing your black level. No tone or DC is best. Gamma is usually best at 0 and backlight to 4. Everyone does see things different but it may help playing with your settings more.

Btw, it's best that you be 6-8 ft back for optimal viewing of a 40" tv. If you sit 4 ft. or closer, you can see a less detailed picture because you are not meant to be so close.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyano /forum/post/18484433

Same thing happened on my Old 37 inch B530

I sold it...it had way too many issues.

so annoying, i think im just going to give the b550 to my parents and ill buy myself a C550 , the C550 wouldnt have the same problem does it?

·
Registered
860 Posts
No one could tell you that it won't have the same problem. Sometimes you can have 2 ppl get the same tv and one will have problems and the other won't. Its just the luck of the draw. I don't believe the problems in this thread are related to the tvs, at least not always. Ive seen it to many times in other tvs to say its 100% the tvs fault. It might be just a combination of things thats causing the problem but I still put most of the blame simply on poor quality of broadcast signals,dvds and even some bluray discs.

Adjusting your settings may help but if you tried that already or enumerous times then there's not much you can do other than try and see what a new tv can do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.