AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, any owners of these televisions?? I am looking for a 40 inch 1080p reliable set (not Vizio, my previous set (VP322HDTV10A) which I returned after complaining with fellow AVS'ers)...

So I've been in store @ Wal-Mart side by side comparision and they seem the same. The Sony KDL40S5100 seems sharper but when watching Ice Age I saw the colors smoothly blend in and on the Sony you can see a outline of each color shift (if that makes any sense to you?). But maybe a bad calibration on the set?? The Samsung seemed a tad bit blurry compared to the Sony...

My third option is the KDL-40S4100, only cause its cheaper like the Samsung, haven't seen it in store but you can buy it online and ship it...

Side note: My uncle is tech-savvy and was telling me to get a plasma cause the picture quality is great but I think Plasma is on its way out anyways so its a 4th option down the road...

I'm using the HDTV for gaming and movie watching via PS3. Too cheap for cable (apartment in college) and I might hook my Mac up to it once in a while. Don't know if this paragraph is that much relevant......

So lemme hear your thoughts!

Thanks!!!

EDIT: And the speakers on the set don't matter because I have a 5.1 setup. Thanks!

Another EDIT: PS3 is gonna be hooked up via HDMI

·
Registered
659 Posts
Don't discount plasma so easily my friend ....its true their are less been made but this is ecconomic rather than quality based outcome (LCD is just far cheeper to manufacture) but that said they still have lots to offer and companies have o make spart parts for a number of years after production stops its the law. So as long as you get a decent pannel i.e 1080p television, decent array of inputs, good SD processing with all the mod cons it will serve you just as long and as well as any LCD. Check out the models from Samsung & panasonic for great plasmas. If you can find one, the pioneer Kuro is the way forward, quite simply the best picture I have ever seen over alot of 1080p televisions viewed & orditioned. If you were to go for the LCD then you can't go wrong with sony, all the TVs you list are capable of great things.

Cheers,

Jiff

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Perhaps the Samsung ln40B630 for $999 at Best Buy? Besides the good PQ and Matte screen, it can play .mkv, .mp4, .vob, .avi, etc straight off the usb ports. Not too many people know about the mediaplay capability.

JiffOrange has a good guide for converting Blurays to MKVs. Imagine having bluray movies accessed thru the 2 terabyte hdd you got hooked up to the TV from the 2 usb ports.

Having to only turn on your tv to access hundreds of movies is totally worth it.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_america_117 /forum/post/16910896

Thanks for the input man. I appreciate it!!

No worries mate ...glad I could help.

Cheers,

Jiff

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertha /forum/post/16911686

Perhaps the Samsung ln40B630 for $999 at Best Buy? Besides the good PQ and Matte screen, it can play .mkv, .mp4, .vob, .avi, etc straight off the usb ports. Not too many people know about the mediaplay capability.

JiffOrange has a good guide for converting Blurays to MKVs. Imagine having bluray movies accessed thru the 2 terabyte hdd you got hooked up to the TV from the 2 usb ports.

Having to only turn on your tv to access hundreds of movies is totally worth it.

I didn't know about that ....that pretty much removes the need for a HTPC for your shinny 1080p televisions, that really quite usefull (I'll bet that it just works aswell, no more messing with programs/drivers etc to get true 24 fps with 1080p content). My sony has a USB slot but only for pictures
that would be so much more usefull. I may look into getting one of these for my den
...now will the wife let me

Cheers,

Jiff

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you need a good 1080p LCD without breaking the bank so ln40b530 fit the bill...PC powerpoints, Sony PS3 and Blu-Ray discs all look great, and the brightness is good for daytime use in well lit rooms.

·
Banned
407 Posts
If your MKV formats have subs - trust me, many MKV files are encoded differently and the subtitles are always different formats.

The subtitles, audio changing, or any navigation on MKV files especially DO NOT WORK
It's just better to use VGA and a computer...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.