AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm biased, because I own one Samsung LED-DLP set and just ordered the 40lnb630, so take my comments in that context.

Looking at the CNET review for the Vizio which notes a "different" method for achieving 240Hz and some picture quality issues, and considering that most people can't tell a huge difference (at least not a difference worth the extra $$$, in my opinion) between 120Hz and 240Hz to begin with, I would go with the Samsung.

Some people don't like the subtle coloring and/or styling of the b630, but I think it looks fine and tend to pay closer attention to price/performance ratios than "looks." But to each their own - if you don't mind a slightly smaller set and the styling isn't an issue, it seems like the Sammy would give you a little better overall picture in terms of uniformity, etc.

Not sure about SD vs. HD performance for either TV, but I can tell you that my parents have a 52lna650, and SD looks very good (obviously not as good as HD, but certainly watchable/enjoyable) through the DirecTV source - especially with some of the 120Hz and AutoMotion Plus features at work.

EDIT: A friend of mine has a Vizio that is around 47", and it looks very nice and I believe is a 60Hz model. If reliability is less of a concern (you said it's going in the bedroom so I'm assuming it won't get the same use as a living room TV) and relatively minor PQ issues can be tolerated because you find a heck of a bargain, then the Vizio might be just as reasonable a choice.

Good luck in your search! Be sure to update us if/when you make your decision.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ADHDTV, thank you for you comments.

I'm now thinking about the ln40b640 because of the styling of the 630. The 640 seems to be the same except for the red chin. Best buy had the 640 for only $100 more than the 630 this past weekend, but all the prices seem to have jumped up since Sunday.

Is my assumption that the 640 and 630 are practically the same tv except for the styling and the matte/glossy screen?

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's my understanding as well - same features, different cabinets and levels of glossiness on the screen (which, like the 650, also probably means a slight increase in dynamic contrast ratio for the 640 over the 630).

I like the glossy look on my wife's laptop and my 22" HP monitor; but tend to notice the reflections pretty quickly whenever there's a dark screen; given the lighting in my bedroom and the fact that TV tends to have darker pictures compared to browsing the internet on a computer, I went with the semi-matte.

If you're thinking of buying soon, you might haggle with the BB folks to see if they'll give you the price from this past Friday/Saturday - can't hurt to ask at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappat /forum/post/16935889

ADHDTV, thank you for you comments.

I'm now thinking about the ln40b640 because of the styling of the 630. The 640 seems to be the same except for the red chin. Best buy had the 640 for only $100 more than the 630 this past weekend, but all the prices seem to have jumped up since Sunday.

Is my assumption that the 640 and 640 are practically the same tv except for the styling and the matte/glossy screen?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats! Just got mine delivered today and am VERY pleased - set up quick and easy and picture looks great right out of the box.

I have a calibration disk coming later this week along with Planet Earth on Blu-Ray that I can't wait to check out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts