AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I returned my Panny 42s1 plasma the other day and have come to the conclusion that I want LCD. So I went to BB and two LCD's caught my eye: Samsung LN40B640 and the Sony 40XBR7. The Sammy is only sold at BB so I can't get that many reviews or opinions about it but to me it was the best looking tv in the whole store (at that price range). The Sony's PQ was near identical but the Sammy just seemed to be more vibrant. Does anybody know if the Sammy's panel is 10 bit? Also what is the response time on the Sony XBR7?

The Sammy would be about 1200 out the door , while I can get the XBR7 from crutchfield for 1099 including a free HiDef transmitter/receiver system!! (Worth 499 supposedly)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Samsung LED-DLP set and just ordered a Sammy 40lnb630 LCD set for the bedroom, so believe me when I say I love their TVs, and I think you would enjoy the b640 very much (basically the same sets as I understand it, but the 640 has the ultra-clear screen and the gray/square design vs. the red TOC with the curved design).

HOWEVER - knowing how TVs can look very different (usually better) once they get set up at your home and adjusted to your tastes and lighting conditions, and knowing that the b640 is a BB exclusive model, I would be *very* skeptical of any in-store comparisons.

For all we know, they cranked the contrast, etc. sky-high on the 640 and didn't do jack to any of the settings on any of the other TVs. I'm not saying the 640 won't look great, I'm saying trying to compare it to anything else in the store can be tricky - especially since there's probably a greater economic interest in the 640 for BB than the Sony.

Read the reviews, look at the specs, check the prices, return policies, warranties, etc. and then go with what you think is the best deal for you and don't look back. Get the remotes and play around with the picture settings in the store if you have to.

Having bought a lot of electronics over the years, I can honestly say that buying an HDTV was one of the *few* times I didn't experience some kind of buyer's remorse and/or that sinking feeling of "holy crap I just spend a load of $$$ - I sure hope it's worth it."

You will probably be very happy with either one - good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wound up going with the Samsung LN40B640. I got them to put on a BluRay movie and while the sony looked good, the Samsung blew me away. It looked very close the LED underneath it. I checked the settings and it was on the "standard" setting with none of the adjustments cranked up.

On a side note, one of the main reason I decided to buy the Samsung today is because BestBuy JUST stopped their $400 off promotion on the B640. The rep's were nice though and I just explained to them that I had been thinking about buying the tv for a while and they gladly honored the $400 off promotion. So if you were on the edge about buying one, you might want to get it quick!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts