AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Samsung LN46A580 and hooked it up in place of my hitachi plasma. I have HD cable through comcast. Its connected to my Onkyo TX-SR674 receiver via HDMI and the receiver is attached to the TV via HDMI.


When I press info the TV says its running at resolution [email protected] hz, which I believe is 720p. If I connect the cable box (via HDMI) directly to the TV it says ([email protected]) which I believe to be correct. One odd thing is that visually its hard to tell the difference. So my first thought was that my receiver is somehow downgrading the signal. So I hooked my upcoverting Onkyo DVD player to the same HDMI input on the receiver the cable box was using. The TV says its running at [email protected] So that confuses me, if the receiver were downgrading the signal, it should be doing that for any signal coming through, yet its not. Has anyone run across something like this before? I dont know if there is a problem with my TV or my receiver. Is it possible that the TV is misreporting the resolution when the cable signal is coming from my cable box?


This has me a bit baffled.

Thanks for any replies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
I can't tell you for sure about your receiver, but pressing the info button for your tv will give you the resolution of the incoming signal, not what your tv is displaying. Your 1080p tv always displays 1080p. So I think you may need to go into the settings menu of your Comcast box and check the resolution selected for the HD line. It may be 720p, but if it's 1080i your tv may just be reporting what the particular broadcaster is sending out at the moment.


Have you checked CBS, it's always 1080i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoward2372 /forum/post/15535999


I just got a Samsung LN46A580 and hooked it up in place of my hitachi plasma. I have HD cable through comcast. Its connected to my Onkyo TX-SR674 receiver via HDMI and the receiver is attached to the TV via HDMI.

When I press info the TV says its running at resolution [email protected] hz, which I believe is 720p. If I connect the cable box (via HDMI) directly to the TV it says ([email protected]) which I believe to be correct. One odd thing is that visually its hard to tell the difference. So my first thought was that my receiver is somehow downgrading the signal. So I hooked my upcoverting Onkyo DVD player to the same HDMI input on the receiver the cable box was using. The TV says its running at [email protected] So that confuses me, if the receiver were downgrading the signal, it should be doing that for any signal coming through, yet its not. Has anyone run across something like this before? I dont know if there is a problem with my TV or my receiver. Is it possible that the TV is misreporting the resolution when the cable signal is coming from my cable box?


This has me a bit baffled.

Thanks for any replies.

You sure you were watching the same channel? Some are 720p while others are 1080i. Just tossing a possibility out there, I don't know if cable boxes global scale everything to 1 resolution or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta /forum/post/15537642


You sure you were watching the same channel? Some are 720p while others are 1080i. Just tossing a possibility out there, I don't know if cable boxes global scale everything to 1 resolution or not.

Yeah I put it on ESPN on an NFL game so that I would have the same baseline for the comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/15537473


I can't tell you for sure about your receiver, but pressing the info button for your tv will give you the resolution of the incoming signal, not what your tv is displaying. Your 1080p tv always displays 1080p. So I think you may need to go into the settings menu of your Comcast box and check the resolution selected for the HD line. It may be 720p, but if it's 1080i your tv may just be reporting what the particular broadcaster is sending out at the moment.


Have you checked CBS, it's always 1080i.


I've tried it on Espn and Discovery HD Theater. THose were both in 1080i.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top