AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey AVS, new member here. I've followed this site for about a year and finally joined.

I have a problem that I'm hoping I can get some insight on. I have a LN46A750 Sammy and yesterday it had it's first malfunction. The TV is about 15 months old and has been absolutely nothing shy of amazing since the day I received it.

The TV now turns on and off on its own, doesn't even stay on powered long enough for the picture to come on the screen. It just keeps doing it until I finally decided to "pull the plug" and let it rest

Have any of you experienced this? I did purchase a Squaretrade warranty during the purchase of the TV from Amazon and am hoping for a smooth process with them.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I JUST got this fixed last week on my Samsung LN-T466F

Your issue, which is common to samsungs made in midde to late 2007, are bad capacitors.

Its really not Samsung's fault, as there seems to have been a bad set of capacitors sent out from china in ate 2007.

The capacitors are on the power board on the back of your TV. IT will take longer and longer for your TV to turn on, until it will eventually stop.

The parts are cheap, and there is a YOUTUBE video on how to fix it yourself because samsung initially did not cover this.

Good news is that Samsung has just recognised this as a global issue and will cover the repair under warranty. Even if your set is out of warranty! Mine was well over the 12 month parts and labor, and the fixed it for free.

Call 1-800-Samsung, and they will sign you up to have a repair tech come out. He will remove the bad 10 volt capacitors and solder on new 25 volt capacitors. They should last the rest of your lifetime.

Dharman.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thank you so much for such a quick and detailed response.

How long did it take for Samsung to come out and fix the issue?

·
Registered
51 Posts
They have an SLA of 48 hours to have your appointment secheduled, and then it is up to how busy the installer was. I would think about a week. Mine went much faster than that. I had my set repaired 48 hours after I called, but I am sure that is not typical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that would be great if they're not too busy. I'll have to give them a call tonight. Do they need any specific information when I call? If I don't need any information off the set I could call now but I'm assuming they'll need some kind of a serial number or receipt date.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should probably register your TV on their website. they will ask for the model number and serial off the back of the TV. They did not ask me for a purchase date or a reciept.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately I'm having the same issue with my LN46A750! My has completely stopped turning on and goes into the endless clicking loop. I called Samsung today and spoke with a rep. My set was actually not flagged as one of the sets with this widespread issue. Mine was manufactured in May 2008 so I'm wondering if this could still be the same bad capacitor case or maybe faulty PS board. Any help is appreciated. I'll be opening it up tonight to take a look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to make the call tonight. Sorry hollywood, that stinks. But if it's the capacitor, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace.

If Sammy doesn't cover it, I'll be contacting Squaretrade.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just for kicks, check and make sure the power cord is firmly plugged into the back of the set. That fixed a similar problem on my 52A860 15 months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp /forum/post/18204393

Just for kicks, check and make sure the power cord is firmly plugged into the back of the set. That fixed a similar problem on my 52A860 15 months ago.

I tried with hope and no luck.

On the phone with Samsung now, I have a Samsung extended warranty (thought it was Squaretrade) through Dec of 2011.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

Samsung came out yesterday to swap out the Power supply. That ended up not being the problem and they also swapped out the motherboard.

Tv works great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts