AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LN46A860 purchased in March 2009.

It's hooked to analog cable but they do give us the digital channels on local stations.

Every so often while tuned to 32-1 it will randomly change to 5. (Both happen to be local stations.) I've only noticed it on this station but that doesn't mean it might not happen on others if left there long enough. But so far only this one.

It does not seem to be a spurious signal from the remote. And pressing the previous channel button while on 5 does not take me back to 32-1 but to the channel it was on before that.

Is this a known issue on some Sammies? Would a firmware update--if there is one--help? Otherwise the set is great--beautiful picture.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmteknik /forum/post/16932213

LN46A860 purchased in March 2009.

It's hooked to analog cable but they do give us the digital channels on local stations.

Every so often while tuned to 32-1 it will randomly change to 5. (Both happen to be local stations.) I've only noticed it on this station but that doesn't mean it might not happen on others if left there long enough. But so far only this one.

It does not seem to be a spurious signal from the remote. And pressing the previous channel button while on 5 does not take me back to 32-1 but to the channel it was on before that.

Is this a known issue on some Sammies? Would a firmware update--if there is one--help? Otherwise the set is great--beautiful picture.

Sometimes on OTA channels are duplicated...I know on my Mits if I change to say 88-5 it will go to channel 5 because this is also the same channel...try rescanning...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not about duplicate channels. The TV randomly changes to a completely different station.

Previously I'd not been looking at the screen when its happened but now I have: I'll be on 32-1 and suddenly "5" will appear on the on-screen channel display as it would appear when you key the remote and then a moment later it flips to 5. Thus far I've only seen it do it with these channels. When it does it it can be counted on to do it again maybe a half hour later. It does not appear to be a spurious signal from the remote (and if it was then pressing the Previous Channel button would put it back but it doesn't.)

I guess I need to put in a service request.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It could be a IR spurious signal from a CFL light bulb or a dimmer switch or some other device capable of emiting IR.

Try covering the IR receiver on the TV with something to prevent it from receiving any IR signal.

Also the cable company cable out of your wall has both analog and digitaal channels on it. It is the tuner you are using that determines what you receive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem with my samsung LN46A550 that I just recently purchased. I will have it on 32-1 and it will randomly swith to 5. It has happened to me on the previous 2 sundays while I was watching football. It has always happened when I was away from the tv and I come back and it is on a different channel. It doesnt seem to be some stray IR signal because when I press previous channel on the remote it wont change, (as if I had never been watching another channel).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtackler76 /forum/post/17297285

It doesnt seem to be some stray IR signal because when I press previous channel on the remote it wont change, (as if I had never been watching another channel).

This is crucial bit of information. It means that IR receiver WAS NOT triggered by anything.... anyone. The trigger arrived thru PCB tracks as a result of interference - design flaw. If someone could post the circuit diagram - I'll be able to tell (much) more.

Boky

·
Registered
3 Posts
I contacted samsung and just got a standard respose to auto program my channels. I dont believe this will fix my problem as I also believe it is a design flaw of some kind that is causing the issues. I am going to continue to bug samsung about this issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
omg, my samsung 46a530 is doing the exact same thing. last 2 sundays during the bears game it randomly switches from 32-1 to channel 5. it also happens multiple times during the game for me. this drives me absolutely crazy-if i try to go back to 32-1 sometimes it takes a few minutes, its like the station has disappeared completely. of course my tv is now out of warranty-wonderful to see i am not the only one with this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This also happened to me durring the bears game. It only happened to me 2 times this weekend. I do not watch 32-1 much other than for football, have you ever had this happen to you any other times or with any other channels?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnpei /forum/post/17301803

omg, my samsung 46b530 is doing the exact same thing. last 2 sundays during the bears game it randomly switches from 32-1 to channel 5. it also happens multiple times during the game for me. this drives me absolutely crazy-if i try to go back to 32-1 sometimes it takes a few minutes, its like the station has disappeared completely. of course my tv is now out of warranty-wonderful to see i am not the only one with this problem.

If these Samsungs always switch to same channel - channel 5, it seems that this is default channel after tanner memory is erased... in other words, there must be something wrong with the PCB - tuner and AV processor board. Once again, if someone can share the circuit diagram I may be able to point-out the chip / possible causes

This is 4th...5th time I saw people reported this same problem and I bet Samsung knows about the problem, but will never admit the problem is related to bad design / circuit layout

Boky

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/17305690

If these Samsungs always switch to same channel - channel 5, it seems that this is default channel after tanner memory is erased... in other words, there must be something wrong with the PCB - tuner and AV processor board. Once again, if someone can share the circuit diagram I may be able to point-out the chip / possible causes

This is 4th...5th time I saw people reported this same problem and I bet Samsung knows about the problem, but will never admit the problem is related to bad design / circuit layout

Boky

i have no idea how to share the circuit diagram with you-not that techie-sorry. i did email samsung about the problem and will see what, if anything they say. i also was wrong on my model-it is the 46a530 not b530.

this is pretty frustrating as i am babying a samsung 46" dlp that randomly shuts off and now this tv is acting up-no more samsungs i guess for me!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It may help to see if the problem can be localized since if it can something in the content may be causing the problem.

For each of you with the problem:

Did the problem occure while watching a game in HD from Fox or from another program?

What is you program souce, OTA, Cable, or Satellite?

What city are you located in?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What model digital STB do you have from Comcast. Unless your cable line is also hooked to the analog tuner input on your TV it is the STB that is switching to analog channel 5 and not the TV.

I saw a simliar problem reported with CBS football games this past weekend

I have a hunch that the satellite tranmission from the stadiums to the networks is momentarily being dropped and that then causes the signal gets to be dropped to your STB. This is turn causes the PVR to switch to its default channel.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Well that destroys my PVR hunch.

So the common thread appears to be a football game being recieved over clear QAM to a Samsung TV

And so far we know it occurs for one user with Comcast near Chicago. We don't know provider and location of the other users.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed this problem with my LN46A850 since I bought this television last January. It is driving me insane and it seems to be such a ridiculous problem to have. I too live in a suburb of Chicago and have Comcast cable.

The television is hooked directly to the wall, no cable box.

Only Fox HD channel 32-1 will switch to NBC HD channel 5-1 (both are local HD stations) and only in this manner. The other channels are fine.

I am very certain that the switch happens during commercials 90% of the time. I'll quickly grab a snack or use the bathroom during commercial break only to discover the TV changed the channel on me. Before I noticed this problem, I would return and wonder wtf am I watching?

In addition, both 32-1 and 5-1 were set as Favorites on my Samsung and when this crazy channel flip happens, both channels (and sometimes more channels on my Favorites list) are removed from the Favorites list. It's totally annoying because now I have to reenter the missing channels.

Before my warranty expires, Samsung will be hearing from me concerning this issue. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It appears that there is something in the Chicago Comcast Fox-HD Content that is causing the problem to occure.

I suggest that you check the local Chicago AVS-Forum to see if others are reporting the pproblem and if not I suggest you start a thread there about this problem. Probably Comcast and Samsung engineers will have to work together to resolve it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts