AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right area. Its not a true HTPC question, so I figured I'd put it here. I want to connect my macbook to my Sammy LN46B610. Not as a permanent connection but for when I want to watch Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube on a larger screen. I've been searching but haven't found the answer I was looking for.

My set has 4 HDMI connections, one of them being listed as HDMI/DVI, and then I also have a PC input. My goal is to get the best picture quality possible. My Macbook is a coreduo Macbook from a few years back and I believe has the mini dvi port. Would it be better to connect it via the pc input or would it be better to connect it to the hdmi/dvi input?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For best quality, use a DVI to HDMI cable and set the MAC's resolution to 1920 x 1080 (B610's native resolution). Sound will have to come over the L/R audio cable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have my laptop connected via VGA cable (male-male DB15HD) to my samsung LCD series 6 40A650 without problems, the PC does not have HDMI or DVI output, so the VGA touch me, maybe at some point to build a HTPC HDMI out, but right now the VGA cable + extension cable has given me a great performance.

You could try with this cable, its very cheap, cost me 4 dollars / $7 in total with the VGA-extension 6 feet each), between 7 am and 8 feet for ps3 and movies to 5 feet. I use the laptop to play videos on the LCD 720p/1080i/1080p. Obviously, the DVI and HDMI will be better even more.

But remember that neither the DVI nor VGA will give you sound, so we will use an audio cable that are similar to the headphones. (Male-male), you plug the headphone connection on your Mac or your computer off desk, the speaker output to TV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts