AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New LN46B750 conected to a Comcast Cable Scientific Explorer 8300HD DVR.

No isues - except I can not receive 4 particular channels. I will access the channel, bottom info bar appears, then black screen and no sound.

Rebooted box, tried a 2nd box I have that works with a Sony lcd and does get the chanells. No go. Even re routed the coax line from the Sony Bravia that gets the channels and still nothing,

Seems likethe TV. Comcast support was useless and samsung stated it was the cable compay.

Anyone?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
How is the box connected to the tv? (HDMI or component?) Is the box set to output all channels at an HD resolution or at their native scanrate? Which channels aren't coming in--are they HD or SD?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why would it be the TV? All the TV does is display what the box transmits to it.

Unless you're referring to an HDMI handshake issue, it's most likely a defective cable box. Just keep pressuring Comcast until hopefully they resolve the issue.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Do I understand that you have 2 identical Comcast STBs and that you have both a Sony and a Samsung HDTV and that one of the boxes apparently receives 4 more channels when connected to either TV then the other?

Is there possibly anything unique about the 4 channels such as restricted content, or separate subscription group? If yes then the boxes do not have the same prpogram and/or subscription download from your cable company or one of the boxes is defective.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two Identical cable boxes running off a spitter to a Samsung LCD and a Sony lcd. Both boxes set exactly the same. The Sony receives the channels fine.

The Samsung does not. The TV prior to the Samsung did receive.

1. Have swapped the boxes - no change

2. Have swapped the incoming cable from the splitter - no change

3. Both STB's connected to TV via HDMI

go figure! Was sure when I routed the cable from the Sony to the Samsung it would work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One after thought. BOTH STB's will receive the channels when connected to the Sony.

Both will not when connecte to the Samsund. Channels are not HD but are part of subscripton package. NBC from a different locale and some local stuff.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
OK so the only thing that is different is the TV, The HDMI cable, the cable to the STB and the STB are the same.

Does the Samsung have multiple HDMI connections? If yes have you tried each of them?

When connected to the Samsung Menu and no video, does the TV menu work and does the Info button on the Samsung remote display the correct incoming resolution?

If you try a different output resolution from the STB to the Samsung such as 480p can you get the video?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^^I think some Samsungs if not all won't accept 480i over HDMI--definitely try setting the box to upconvert SD content to an HD scanrate, rather than leaving it in "native". Alternatively try using component video instead of HDMI--pq loss for cable content is pretty much negligible when using component vs HDMI, just a little messier cable-wise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18135752

OK so the only thing that is different is the TV, The HDMI cable, the cable to the STB and the STB are the same.

Does the Samsung have multiple HDMI connections? If yes have you tried each of them?

When connected to the Samsung Menu and no video, does the TV menu work and does the Info button on the Samsung remote display the correct incoming resolution?

If you try a different output resolution from the STB to the Samsung such as 480p can you get the video?

Samsung has multiple HDMI - will try all.

The TV menu hows for 2 seconds then screen blank - have not looked at what STB desplays as resolution -will

STB set for 1080 only i'll try 480 since if I understand it wll upconvert.

Trying this tomorrow - to tired to look at this anymore tonight -

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18135808

^^^^I think some Samsungs if not all won't accept 480i over HDMI--definitely try setting the box to upconvert SD content to an HD scanrate, rather than leaving it in "native". Alternatively try using component video instead of HDMI--pq loss for cable content is pretty much negligible when using component vs HDMI, just a little messier cable-wise.

I'll try the non native. But I am pretty sure ( some local cablecast staions etc.,) which come in fine are 480i

Can't now - wife watching Olympics with her TV, I bought that doesn't work right!!!

Live in Ma and trying to get one of the NBC network stations from RI that broadcast the 3rd hour of the today show wich MA does not carry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is getting stranger.

1. Tried the other HDMI inputs - no change.

2. STB enabled All picture formats - A change!

Now the channel menu at the bottom of the screen comes on for a second as before. The video also does, gives a clear pictue with sound, but stays on for say 6 seconds, goes to a black screen for 2 seconds ad back to video. It repeats the process over and over.

STB states 480i for the channel. I laboriously chose each picture format individually in the STB menu, tsted and had the same result. When, I revert back to the simple setup 1080i the channel shows a menu briefly but no picture as when I started.

It's like the LCD can't lock in the picture.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^So you've eliminated incoming scanrate as a cause, which pretty much leaves HDMI handshake as the culprit. Try using component video connections between the box and the set.

Samsung sets are known for not "playing nice" with some cable boxes via HDMI, though usually the box in question is a Motorola. It could be that those 4 stations have copy protection enabled and somehow that's tripping things up.

My experience with Samsung HDMI behavior is limited to the sets at the Sears where I work. We have 2 Samsungs that are connected to Samsung BD players via HDMI instead of to the store demo feed. Startup procedure goes like this:

Turn tv and BD player on--BD player intro screen will appear for a few seconds, followed by black screen and "no signal" message on tv--wait another 10-20 seconds and BD player intro screen will reappear and all will work as normal. Occasionally this sequence of events will repeat itself a couple of times before everything stabilizes. We have Sonys and Sharps in similar configurations and they don't do this--there's a few seconds initial delay for the handshake and that's it. I have a 3 year old Sony SXRD at home with the HDMI routed thru a Pioneer receiver and it's HDMI handshake never takes more than 3 or 4 seconds.

Don't be too concerned about any sacrifice in pq if you have to use component, there usually is little to no visible degradation.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I suspect some sort of DRM problem which is unique to the 4 channels only on the Samsung.

Are the 4 channels that don't work on the Samsung part of the same subsciption package? If yes are there other channels in the subscription package that do work?

If yes are the 4 all network affilates from the same location or are they a mix of network affiliates and cable only channels?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, just have this stigma about using component since I paid $$$ and all you hear about is HDMI. The LCD PQ is fantastic and all is just fine. I can live without the channels, just like to figure out why it is happening. The 4 channels are part of the normal cable package. Never watch any except for 1 ( NBC Network from an adjacent state) and only when the local NBC affiliate over rides with their own programming.

Just weird. This weekend I'l try the component swap just to see ad maybe a different

hdmi cable. I truly appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Many users myself included notice absolutlky not degradation when using component instead of DVI or HDMI on my 55 inch 1080p LCD HDTV. Some users do notice a slight degradation of color quality but none notice any degradation of resolution detail. You may have been reading about poor PQ when using composite which is of course true.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since you're using a SARA 8300HD, i have a couple of suggestions (as i have the same unit over HDMI):

1. Turn the SARA off by hitting the power button - then press the guide and info buttons to enter the setup menu for the SARA and test / enable all the resolutions

2. in the SARA settings menu, set Upconvert 1 for the picture (that's what i use - though that link below also says you can use auto etc)

3. check the s/n ratio - how-to http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

that's the SARA setup/mess-with guide i use (specific to provider here, but a SARA's a SARA - without bloody web-enabled stuff...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.