AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am confused why these two are practically the same price, yet the 55 is the newer model (b650) and also that it is 3 inches larger in diameter? is the 55" the better buy?

just in general samsung's pricing confuses me. their 46" version of the same model is $1700 while the 55" is $2000. why would anyone not spend $300 more for 9 inches?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Because of my vast (ahem) experience, and even wo (actually a little) read about the differences between the Sammys A and B, I will conclude... there are NO appreciable functional differences between and 2, and B is actually a newer run of the same TV, using cheaper materials (from another post), but "supposedly" function the same. The same pricing says the market has voted and they saying, no difference between the 2.

U apparently think the two models are exactly equal except for size. OK I assume you are right. Maybe the 46" is more popular due that it fits most cabinets while the 55" not such a good seller because ppl have more trouble fitting it into their rooms; or the Sony's SD upfill algorithm starts to break down after 46 inches, and SD material don't look so good on bigger than 46... so the vendor price them accordingly. A wild, really wild guess.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck /forum/post/16977298

i am confused why these two are practically the same price, yet the 55 is the newer model (b650) and also that it is 3 inches larger in diameter? is the 55" the better buy?

just in general samsung's pricing confuses me. their 46" version of the same model is $1700 while the 55" is $2000. why would anyone not spend $300 more for 9 inches?

Because they are in fact completely different LCD panels, one high quality (the 46" and 52" ones), made by Samsung, with all the "S-PVA" angle of viewing touted by Samsung, and the other (the 55") a much lesser panel made by CMO. (which are the initials of some company, but who cares, not Samsung).

I know this first hand, from experiencing both at home, watching the SAME movie with my family on both sets -and from myriads of posts about it in this forum.

I too wondered about the price differences. Now I know. As always, "if it seems too good to be true..." grrr... Now what do I get if I want a 55" screen??

·
Banned
407 Posts
Don't forget AUO. I'm staying AWAY from Samsung from now on. Even Sony's S-MVA panel is superior to Samsung; in terms of higher CR (3000:1 vs 2000:1 est.) And the fact that Samsung can be using more 8-bit panels than 10-bit.

I shouldn't gamble on panels. I'll be going to Sony or Panasonic for good quality control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.