AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this HDTV new in January, and have loved its performance (while it was working). But after a month or so, the backlight started failing. As in would go out completely and the system would need to be powered off for a while before turning it back on would restore the backlight. (The longer it's off, the longer it stays on after power cycle.)

The first failure usually comes around 30 minutes, with rapid (i.e., off for like 10-20 seconds) power cycling, the next outage occurs in 12-15, and so on, until it goes out about every 2-3 minutes (with 20 seconds or so in between to power off, wait, power on).

It does not make a difference which inputs are being used, not how many active, connected and off, disconnected, etc.

Picture is still there (checked with bright lights to see images still there), and sound continues to be processed.

Of course I called in warranty repairs, and they have been out twice.

1st time replaced power supply (and controller) and controller boards.

2nd time they replaced the panel itself.

Still broken.

There is a third (and final as I am at the end of my patience) visit scheduled to replace a connector cable between the power supply and the panel.

Has anyone else seen anything remotely like this, or have ideas as to what's causing it? I'd love to hear ideas.

Regards,

Ivan

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I recommended and helped install 2 B640s, so I look for any word on them. Check out the B640 thread and reviews on Best Buy, although I don't recall reading about a problem like this one. In general, everyone is very happy with the set.

If the set was completely shutting down and coming back on by itself, I would have recommend making sure the power cord is pressed in firmly on the back of the set.... I had that problem once on my own A860. I think you simply have a problem that needs to be tracked down and fixed. Since your set is still quite new, if they can't fix it soon, press Best Buy first, and then Samsung, for a replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp /forum/post/18304589

I recommended and helped install 2 B640s, so I look for any word on them. Check out the B640 thread and reviews on Best Buy, although I don't recall reading about a problem like this one. In general, everyone is very happy with the set.

If the set was completely shutting down and coming back on by itself, I would have recommend making sure the power cord is pressed in firmly on the back of the set.... I had that problem once on my own A860. I think you simply have a problem that needs to be tracked down and fixed. Since your set is still quite new, if they can't fix it soon, press Best Buy first, and then Samsung, for a replacement. Good luck.

i think they will give him a new tv if the third time wont fix it

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
If I'm correct, the "3 strikes" policy only applies to an "in store" (purchased) extended warranty, not a manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think the B640 is a Best Buy exclusive, so he probably picked it up there, maybe with an in-store extended warranty.

If not, he's got the Samsung 1-year warranty, and, if he registers online at the Samsung website, he'll get another 3 months. Also, if he bought with a credit card that has a "warranty manager" service, he'll get an additional year warranty thru the card.

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
Return policy is 30 days. After that... you have to depend on the manufacturers's, extended or credit card warranty for repair/replacement. His set is beyond the "return" timeframe and since his set was purchased in January, the manufacturer's warranty should not be a problem.

Getting a "replacement" may take a lot of phone calls and finesse.

Not always as simple as it sounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did get it at BestBuy (after a lot of research, and the price couldn't be beat!). I am very happy with the set (when it's working) from straight TV/TiVo to gaming, and Blu-Ray.

It is past the "return to store" option, so I am working with Samsung Warranty directly. They have an authorized repair center near my home, and have sent repair folks out (twice), and this (hopefully) last time cable swap should do it.

I have talked to the manager at the repair shop, and after several conversations, if this does not fix the problem, then he will mark the tv as "unrepairable" and then I believe it will be replaced.

TRYING to be patient.

Thank you all for the responses.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the cable is ordered and they should be out Mon or Tue. I'll post back with results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Service company showed up late yesterday afternoon.

They replaced the following:

- Controller board (this would be the second replacement)

- Power supply (also the second replacement)

- Communication cable between power supply and panel

Had a reduced test window due to other plans, but the system stayed on for over two hours during initial test. I think we may have a solution. This still doesn't definitively say the cable fixed it, as they replace the other boards and while small, there is a chance the first replacement boards were bad as well. Either way I don't care, as I have picture back.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after testing everything out, it looks like the backlight issue is solved.

However, now it seems as though when I select the TV input (straight from coax wall connection to TV), and turn on my BluRay/Surround sound system (connected with fiber digital cable), and put the channel on an HD station (like 5-1), the video signal gets completely chopped up and full of blocky trash. Unviewable. Previously, it would just pipe the audio out without issue. Could this be related to the repairs, or do I have something set wrong now, that I am just missing?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think something got reconnected wrong or a setting got turned on wrong.

I want to be clear, are you saying you connected a cable from optical digital out on the TV to optical digital in on the bluray/surround? If so, this should pass 5.1 thru the surround OK when using the TVs internal tuner (but not external boxes for which it will pass only stereo).

Is the bluray/surround system connected to the TV via HDMI for watching blu-rays? If so, a CEC feature (called Anynet for Samsung products) tries to provide a simple one remote access to control both bluray and TV. It probably is trying to take control when the bluray is turned on and is changing the "Source" on the TV back to the HDMI input connected between the bluray and TV. Check to see by using the Source button on the remote to re-select "TV" and see if your picture comes back. If that works, then shut off Anynet (or CEC) in the bluray.

If not, let me know, and tell me what's hooked up and how.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Samsung just replaced my son's ln55b640..he said they the repairman tryed to fix it gave up and brought him a brand new tv ...he told me it just quit playing..one day..i don't no how long it took for the replacement but the way he sounds it didn't take long

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Am surprised when u all say the repairmen come out repeat to fix sumthing. Repairmen these days must be paid minimum wage 'coz in the ole days, it's just not economical to do that, they rather give u a refurb TV and take the broken TV back to the shop and have those guys spend whatever time they want with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem solved.

They had reconnected the HDMI connection to HDMI input 1 (which also shares the DVI channel). Swapping to HDMI Input 3, and everything is normal now. Not sure exactly why that would cause that issue (I'm assuming there is some additional communication going on there, or attempts at synchronization.)

As for the repair shop coming out three times, I believe (after extended discussions with the shop manager) that they may have even lost money on my warranty repair based on negotiated pricing with Samsung. However, I think the manager wanted to provide the best service they could (go figure) for possible referrals or repeat business. Also if this repair had NOT fixed the issue, that manager would have marked the unit as "unrepairable" and pursued a new replacement for me. So I guess it worked, as I will use them for other if I need it.

Hopefully this is a happy ending to the story.

;-0

EDIT: @dfp

It was not changing the source input to the blu-ray player, source remained on the TV (direct cable connection) input. It just came up as trash (like a really bad satellite picture that looks like it just isn't rendering properly). Not sure if there are other implications regarding HDMI Input 1 though. The original unrepaired unit probably also did that, but I had blu-ray on input 3 then as well, so never would have seen it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts