AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this yesterday and the PQ with Xbox games with DVDs through the Xbox isn't exactly stellar. I was just wondering if anyone can share their PQ settings after calibrating the display. Even Xbox games on 480p look pretty bad (lots of jaggies and near-blurry image).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmayxl
Just got this yesterday and the PQ with Xbox games with DVDs through the Xbox isn't exactly stellar. I was just wondering if anyone can share their PQ settings after calibrating the display. Even Xbox games on 480p look pretty bad (lots of jaggies and near-blurry image).

I have this set and play xbox on it. I'll tell you my settings hopefully in a couple of hours after work.

·
Registered
309 Posts
O.k. I'm back from work. I have the lnr238w. I bought it mainly for next gen 360. All games will be in 720p wich will perfectly match this sets resolution. Regular games on this set on xbox look pretty crappy in 480p. Not much you can do about it. But the good news is that in 3 months we'll never have to look at 480p again on our 360s. Just hang in there. As far as settings set your contrast to around 76. set brightness to about 56. Set sharpness at 50,color,50 set tint to 50, put color tone normal, then turn dynamic contrast on, then turn off brightness sensor. Make sure it is set to widescreen as well.

Now the fun part. The best way to get a little taste of 720p and 360 graphics is buy for 19 bucks or rent soul caliber 2. A warning though, the developers cropped the edges of the screen because they could't get enough juice out of the current xbox. But that's ok because it's still gorgeous.

Now make sure you have componet cables hooked up, either monster cables like mine, or use the xbox HD-AV pack. Now once that's hooked up go into your xbox dashboard and enable widescreen. Then enable all your settings 480p,720p,1080i in the dashboard. Once those are all turned on, dim your lights and enjoy the best graphics you'll get on the current generation hardware. Make sure you watch the opening movie because it looks cool in 720p.

While playing your game you should be able to hit the input button on your remote and if everything is turned on properly your screen will say 1280x720 @60hz. If it says that your golden. But you'll know right away by the bright gorgeous graphics. It's a bummer they had to crop the edges but this is a known issue on HDTVArcade.com. Amped 2 is a pretty game as well and it is full widescreen no cropping and is 720p. The new OXM magazine has a new demo of the incredible hulk ultimate destruction and that is 720p as well. Once you play some 720p games you won't want to go back to 480p. And in a few short months we won't have to!! Hope this helps some. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I don't know what happened, but I reconnected my component cables and unchecked/rechecked 480p/720p/1080i on the Xbox dashboard and it looks AMAZING now, especially Amped 2. Can't wait for the 360 to come out myself. Do you watch DVDs through your Xbox? Would you recommend a DVD player with HMDI output?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Would you recommend a DVD player with HMDI output?
The Oppo OPDV971H is the best standalone DVD player for the price, and rivals Denon's 5910 in visual quality for over $2500 less.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
The Oppo OPDV971H is the best standalone DVD player for the price, and rivals Denon's 5910 in visual quality for over $2500 less.

Hey MSsmith, I remember you from previous threads. Your an lnr owner if I remember correctly? Anyways I have a standard Samsung dvd player some movies look better than others being that dvd's are only 480, but some movies that I've been pretty impressed with are monsters inc, and princess mononoke. I guess I've held out on spending the couple hundred bucks on an hdmi dvd player because bluray and hddvd should start hitting the scene within a few months. I'll just probably save that money and either get a ps3 with bluray or get a hddvd player around launch, which is supposed to be around this christmas. Then we'll get some true high def images, can't wait! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Ok. I don't know what happened, but I reconnected my component cables and unchecked/rechecked 480p/720p/1080i on the Xbox dashboard and it looks AMAZING now, especially Amped 2. Can't wait for the 360 to come out myself. Do you watch DVDs through your Xbox? Would you recommend a DVD player with HMDI output?
I don't watch movies through my xbox because the xbox only outputs movies in 480i, not even progressive. So either get a cheap dvd player that's progressive scan, or do like me and probably wait until blu ray or hddvd comes out around the corner. Oh and if you get a progressive scan dvd player make sure you go to the dvd players menu and ENABLE 480p, or whatever progresive scan number that is supported. (some dvd's output in 525p or something like that).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to buy this screen and i live in europe. some people are seeing tearing with the 26inch and 32 inch of the equivalent european model. Is this true for the american 23-inch model as well? Please help!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can anyone who tried this with soul caliber 2 on xbox help me please? Is there any tearing apparent at 720p like the EU models? Please help!

·
Registered
309 Posts
No, the U.S. version does NOT suffer the tearing that I've seen pictures in other threads. Soul Calibur 2 on this set looks quite stunning. I stuck my nose to the screen for about 15 minutes looking for any tearing or problems. This set is plain beautiful for 720p games. The best part is I've seen the lnr238w going as little as 650.00 online when I did a price grabber search. This set should be stunning for 360. Ghosting on this set is pretty minumum.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have my xbox 360 hooked up to this with through VGA and it looks amazing. But when I connect my pc to it though vga the color are way too extreme. The red push (and basically every color) is sooooo saturated. How can I get this fixed since the tv wont let you change the color setting when you use the vga input? I'm thinking of getting that device that allows you to use component cables so i can control the colors. OK these colors are now giving me a headache....help!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was trying to adjust color for my LN-R3228W (I'm guessing all these different screen size Samsung's are the same) from the PC input using my notebook display settings because of how the TV itself doesn't allow it.

Well, nothing happened so I don't have any idea what else to try. This is the ATI Radeon 9000 video card. I tried changing color profiles, too, and nothing changed. I do see a change at the notebook, though. I seldom ever connected this to a monitor via the VGA output but I thought it would affect monitors.

Anyone else have ideas? I could probably use a toned down red and orange here as well. I discovered my digital camera photos show my recent photo of this TV in my entertainment center has the wood color looking like it's made out of pumpkin. Definitely would be great to create a more realistic picture while on the computer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well im gonna end up returning this tv tomorrow, i thught it looked nice on 360 games with bright scenes. Then I tried playing condemned and king kong and damn the blacks were definitly not dark enough and it was ruining the games badly. I was using vga and also trying component and no go. Not my type I guess. I'm gonna stick my 17 inch CRT monitor for now until I get a SED or LED DLP this spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.