AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new Samsung LNS-4692D LCD set. I've done many a forum reads, searches and Googles, but still can't find all or only incomplete info I need on this set, and I'm experiencing a few operational oddities (to me anyways) that I'd like to share and ask quesitons about.

I have a Colorfacts 5.0 Pro calibration software and the original colorimeter sensor so I plan on doing a calibration in the near future after I put a few hours on the set. Current sources/setup is TWC HD cable service using SA8300 HD-STB and an Onkyo 6-disc DVD-changer with HDMI upconversion to 720p/1080i. New Onkyo 604B receiver has been ordered to run/switch HDMI from both sources, but right now using component connections for both.

Any inputs/guidance/links/references on the following would be much appreciated:

- Disabling DNIe - looks like it can't be done on this set
However, based on some other threads on similar Samsung sets I tried the "Movie" as Mode setting and you almost can't see any DNIe processing/changes when you turn on DNIe Demo option. With the right paused picture and at just the right distance I believe I can see a very faint demarcation between the 2 screen halves, but many times I cannot. It is very observable with any other Mode setting. I don't see any obvious Service Menu option to disable - but any inputs here would be appreciated. Otherwise I recommend using Movie Mode.

- Can anyone share meaning to all the options/fields in the Service Menu (I would prefer not to have to buy a factory Service Manual for the couple of option definitions I need to know)? The Svc Menu main menu options are: Calibration, Option Byte, White Balance, W/B Movie, SVP-PX, LBE, SOUND (STV825x), Sub Micom Download, Check Sum, KS1406, KS1409, KS1410, Dynamic Contrast, EEPROM Access Count, and RESET

- I'll assume the White Balance is the main submenu I'll use to adjust the RGB Offset and Gain values, but there are 2 other fields in there: Sub Bright (LBE) and Sub Contrast (LBE) - what are these? Here is one of the oddities - it didn't matter what Mode I selected in the user menu nor what Energy Setting mode I selected - going into the service Menu after changing these and going to this submenu ALWAYS gave me the same RGB Offset and Gain values??!??

- Here is another operational oddity - everytime I go into the Service Menu and then leave (power off and the normal power back on) it resets the Picture Settings to Mode of Dynamic and Color Tone back to default rather than my settings before I went into the Service Mode (SM). Why?

- The "W/B Movie" submenu looks interesting and I can see the default settings in there for the "Movie" Mode setting, but what exactly is this W/B Movie option and what will happen if I turn the first sub-option menu item to W/B Movie "ON" instead of default "Off"??

- How do I change the Gamma curve - any direct setting in the SM? Or will it be a combination of Mode and Color Tone and/or Energy Saving settings?

- The user manual doesn't go into a lot of explanation over what exactly the setting options actually do. What exactly is activated when the user option of "Film Mode" is turned on (activates built in deinterlacing processing for automatic switching between Video and Film mode processing)?

- Looks like basic SM navigation is Up/Down keys for submenu selection, Enter key to go into the submenu options and for selecting an option, the Left/Right key to change a value, and the Menu button to exit up one level. I guess there is no Save key - just power off after changes and they're stored? Any other keys I need to know about??

- Noise/hum when you turn on Energy Saving. Last night after all spousal units and offspring were in bed asleep and all other household appliances turned off, I noticed a very descernable hum when any Power Saving mode of Low, Medium or High was selected. It completely goes away when you turn it "off" (set at its brightest) which I initially thought would have the opposite effect. Step down voltage transformer inserted when activated which hums? Note that during the day /evening with audio turned on and seated 12' away and the normal household noise floor exists this hum wasn't noticed. However, when dead silent it is easily heard - or is it just my set?

- For those who have had their 4692 or similar LCD set calibrated, what was the base-line user Picture and Energy Saving settings used (eg., Picture Mode, Colortone and Energy Saving)?

This is a good start - thanks in advance for any inputs/answers. (note to moderator - I debated putting this into the Calibration forum but thought that based on some mixed info/operational questions it might fit better here, but will move or duplicate it if required).

Thanks,

daggerNC

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John - yes I read thru that thread, and just reread it in case I missed anything. hdbrew has done a lot of good work with this TV in that thread, though to my eyes and on my set in my room I prefer different settings. Once I get the above questions answered I will do a proper calibration and will post my findings/settings. As well, most of my questions were not addressed in that thread as well as a few others I've found. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.