AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok under the specs it says the component supports 1080p.

It does not say ANYTHING about what the HDMI supports.

So I called Samsung. The first person I talked to said yes this model supports HDMI at what ever the component outlets will support.

I call back.. next person says.. no it will not support 1080p in HDMI, only 1080i.. and "may" upscale it to 1080p.

I call back again.. next person says yes it will depending on the source. aka blu ray plays 1080p in HDMI.. it will.

I tell the tech that some HDMI's like the old TV I have .. only does 1080i. and I am wondering if this is because of the Tv itself that supports only 1080i or if SOME HDMI outlets only do up to 1080i. She says.. I'm not sure HDMI can be tricky.

Her advice was to hook up my ps3 and do each setting that works and if 1080p looks right or good on it.. then it is playing it.

I ask her.. what if the PS3 is sending it as 1080p and then the TV is downscaling it to 1080i.??

Shes says hrm I dunno.

I then talk to her about how there is no way on the LNS4695D to look in the menu and see what resolution you are at... exept for in the pc mode when you have it hooked up to a pc..

So the question is... How do I know if I am getting a true 1080p signal to my TV from the HDMI...?

Especially since it can be downscalled to 1080i and I cant view what res the TV is showing through a menu!!!! AND because even though the PS3 or different blu ray may be saying the blu ray or ps3 is sending it in 1080p but the tv might be downscaling it to 1080i.......

I am very angry that these techs do not know about thier product.

I do not have it yet I have it on delivery but I was thinking of switching to the Sharp AQUOS LC46D62U . But the Banding talk scares me.

I dont know what to do, or how to figure out what the Samsung is REALLY doing.

I need help.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A 1080p TV like the 4695 will display ALL signals in 1080P. What it does with 1080p input signals is another question. It could convert them to 1080i and then convert it to the sets native 1080p or it could convert it to 1080p + 2% overscan or to 1:1 1080p. In the HDMI input handshaking occures between the set and the source which could cause the source to change to 1080i without your knowing it. That won't happen on the component input since there isn't any handshaking. I would think it rare if the HDMI input would not accept 1080p if the component does accept it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 4096, which should apply to your 4695, but mine does show the incoming signal over HDMI when you hit the info button on the remote. Right now I only have my Dish network 622 box connected to my 4096, but it shows a 1920x1080i at 60hz incoming signal, which is what the 622 is outputting.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.