AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on this 40" LCD (LTM405W)? I find the lack of any mention of this unit puzzling. Furthermore, would anyone know the difference between it and the SyncMaster 400T other than the lack of any onboard tuner in the latter? Is there any reason it could not be used as an HT monitor. Samsung's stock descriptions never mention (conspicuously) its potential use in the home, but I can't find anything in the spec's which would preclude this. Also, I've heard about a nextgen model to the 405, the LTN406W due in June. Any word on what enhancements, if any, this model will include over that of the 405?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Hmm... I think the 405 may lack DVI/HDCP. The 406 will definitely have it.

Also, I hate the scaling in the 405 and do expect at least some improvements in thre 406.

As for your question about the 400T, it oughtta work in the home, but boy you are right that info is hard to come by.

Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
I saw both the 405 and the 406 at CES. The 406 is the intended replacement for th 405, but has substantially more of it's parts manufactured by Samsung. Since the 406 was being demoed as a finished unit before the 405 was even shipping in any (even small) volume, it wouldn' t be a surprise if the 405 just isn't going to be produced at all (other than for the Asian market).

I have the same opinion as Mark on the 2 units, the 405 didn't look great, and the 406 demo unit they showed looked a lot better.

b.t.w. it's unclear if the 400T (or 403T) is based upon the 405 or 406... I haven't been able to find out anything substantial about the unit.

-dwx

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The 400T has been shipping for awhile in the commecial markets. I bet it's the same basic panel as the 405.

Mark

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just noticed this nearly identical thread to one I started a week or so later.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=Samsung+400T

The main problem here is the lack of information from the manufacturer. Though I have been slamming Sharp often and loudly in this forum for their total lack of technical support, Samsung has obviously dropped the ball on the 400T. I swear it used to at least appear on the Samsung web site (monitor section) and they have since pulled it off.

Continued trouble trying to interface a PC to the Sharp LC-37HV4U have caused us to pick the 400T as our next best option. I am assuming there we should not be concerned with negative remarks about the 400T's scalar since we are expecting to drive it direct as a monitor only. Please let me know if there are any other negatives we should be aware of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.