AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what's up with Samsung's LTN226W 22" LCD? Samsung's website will show me this TV on some visits, but not all. Seems like it's on one of the servers in their farm. I can't really seem to find much on the web about this TV, but it seems like a good size for my application.

Is this 'discontinued' or 'not yet released'? Very confusing as I saw some references from earlier this year.

Anyone know what's going on with Samsung's line? 17" is too small, and 32" is too big. 22" is good, and I even saw something about a 24", but I believe that TV was actually discontinued.

Also, are there any good dealers in NJ for Samsung? PC Richards had some of their 17" TV's, so did Circuit City, but they don't know what they are doing, and not one of them had a picture that was being properly displayed (to tall), plus it seemed like they only had the 17's.

Thanks,

Roveer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Roveer,

I am in the same boat as you man. the 22 is just coming out now the only one I have found offering it is J&R music world in NY. They dont have them in stock yet its a pre-order. I am also waiting for Samsung to release a 26inch version that is suppossed to be the LTN265W and hopefully that should be released in next few weeks. The one thing that I havent been able to confirm is I do not think the 22inch version will have Samsungs DNIe technology. Finally, as far as places in NJ that carry it I have been hard pressed too. The only place I have found that carries Samsungs and I am sure if you talk to them they will get it for you is Harvey Electronic stores. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was beginning to think I was talking in an empty room. Glad to see someone else is also looking at these displays. I couldn't seem to tell from all the searching I was doing if they were soon to be released, or never got to market. I like my Samsung 191T's that I use with my computer, hopefully the 22 will meet my expectations as well.

If I get any additional information I'll post here.

Thanks,

Roveer

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

OK. I have an LTM-225W so I've been keeping an eye on things regarding this TV.

At the Samsung USA site under LCD televisions there is an LTM-226W listed. This TV appears to be a successor to the LTM-225W. Same styling, almost same features as best I can tell, but ONE big change:

The DVI input is now HDCP.

It wasn't HDCP before.

How will this affect the TV to be used as a computer monitor?

What about the Pace cable box that is DVI but not HDCP?

I'm sure Samsung did this so that the Samsung HD931 DVD player would now be compatible with the set. I returned a HD931 because of the DVI/HDCP compatibility issue. I wonder if current LTM-225W can be retrofitted?

Brochure at:

http://www.samsungusa.com/SamsungUSA...24/ltn226w.pdf

I don't know if this means the LTN-223W is on hold or if Samsung has converted its remaining LTM-225W to DVI/HDCP.

Very interesting.

Full line brochure with LTN-223W:

http://www.samsungusa.com/pdf/FlatTVs.pdf

LTM-225W / LTM-226W mystery:

What I find interesting is that Samsung continues to specify that component 1 is for 480i while component 2 is for 480p/720p/1080i. I can run HDTV into both. Odd.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My wife has a Samsung LTN 1785W setting next to here computer monitor.

I hooked up a Sony HD100 to it and the PQ is unreal. I ask her was it too small and she said no, some times I have to move back a little. HD on these

tv monitors are amazing.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello Bobby,

The LTN1785W has a pretty good HD picture. Ultimately though the TV was returned because of artifacts and strange color shift issues with 480p signals (DVDs). Perhaps the sample was defective. HDTV when crammed into these small screens have a dense, seamless, photographic-like quality to the picture.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
21 Posts
Paul in response to your post you list the LTM series of LCD's all of these are on their way out. The new models are all listed as LTN. The problem with the new models is there is a bit of inconsistance with the numbering. the 22inch model is listed on their site as LTN226W. Yet if you look at the brochure on all of their LCD's its listed as LTN223W. Which really makes no sence. The other thing I have not been able to figure out is if the 22 inch model has the DNIe technology in it. I have been reading about it and think I would like to have that in the screen.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

Taking a look a the 2003 model year brochure, the LTN-223W is styled like the LTN-1785W. So I don't think there is confusion as to what model is what. No doubt the LTN series is the successor to the LTM series. The LTM-226W, in my opinion, is a stop-gap to clear the production lines / warehouses of LTM-225W parts. Perhaps the LTN-223W has been delayed so the hastily reconfigured LTM-225W/226W will stop people from returning the HD931. The whole DVI/HDCP situation for that set may have been a bit embarrassing to Samsung.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
21 Posts
So then where does the LTN226W come in that isnt listed as a model on the brochure yet its one that is starting distribution now. Did then change the model number from LTN223W to LTN226W and just not make the change on the brochure? I still can't tell if the LTN226W has DNIe or not either and its a bit dubious there.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

The Samsung 2003 product line brochure has been available for a while. The LTM-226W just sort of "showed up" on the Samsung site within the last few days. It caught me be surprise as I thought the LTN-223W was next in line. The LTM-225W had been removed from current models and placed in archived models so I figured the LTN-223W's release was going to be *very* soon. Then, all of the sudden the LTM-226W appeared....

Go figure.

Unless Samsung states otherwise elsewhere, the LTM-226W does not have DNIe. It certainly isn't stated as being present in both the LTM-226W or LTM-225W brochures. There are no menu settings on the LTM-225W for DNIe.

I believe the LTM-226W is exactly like the LTM-225W except for the DVI/HDCP.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I can see the samsungusa.com website is listing the LTN226W as their current 22". You keep referring to 226"M" Typo? I'm asking because they do have a LTM line which does look to be discontinued. What seems strange is:

1. Are these sets on the street? (the LTN's)

2. Why is the information on the internet so sparse? I've only found a few articals referring to them.

3. Why are the e-tailors not listing them? Only a few that I've seen

I'm waiting to hear back from my HT dealer who we work with who is supposidly a Samsung rep. Hopefully I'll get the straight story from him. Maybe. Whatever I hear, I'll share in this thread.

Strange also that I couldn't find any press releases on these sets, or dates when they are available.

I'll report back as soon as I've heard.

Roveer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
roveer that would be great if you can get that information. The "M" designation that you refer to do you mean the LTM? The LTM series was last years series and is alomost all gone from site and from retailers. The LTN line is its succesor but has been very slow in rolling out with all the models.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My bad. What I meant to say is your post at 3:33pm makes reference to LTM226W, not LTN226W. The M I was referring to is in the 3rd position. Just to verify, no such thing as an LTM226W correct? Samsungusa site refers to a LT"N"226W.

Roveer

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

My mistake as well. The Samsung website does refer to the new model as an "LTN226W". Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I figured I'd update this thread and see if anyone else had any input on these LCD's. My dealer says he has the LTN226W in stock, so apparently it's available. I've read a thread or two that indicates that regular cable (SD) content on these displays is not very good. This is troublesome, because at this time, all I have is CATV in SD. I do have a MYHD card in a computer that is supposed to supply HD in component out, but in the NYC area I only seem to get a single digital OTA channel (CBS). Cable company is in the dark ages, can't even bring me 2 way internet access, and DTV is an option.

So, anyone care to add to the tread in the following areas:

1. LTN226W or LTN265W picture quality or experience

2. OTA Digital/HD channels in the NYC/NJ area (did 9/11 take them out?)

3. When working with 22" LCD what would the SD dimensions be equivelent to? 15", 17"?. Or would you strech SD to WS? I always hated that look.

Any other comments welcome. Also, I saw Samsung's 24" computer display (looked like it was around 2800 bucks), but the resolutions were much higher. Anyone have any experience with these? TV Tuner cards in computers I got, so maybe it's another alternative.

Thanks,

Roveer

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am in NYC and I am very interested in seeing this display. Would you mind telling me who the dealer is in Northern NJ who has this unit in stock? Do you know if they have it on display? Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had purchased the LTM225W (this TV's predecessor) back in January for a cabin I was building. It sat in it's box for months, but I finally put it in service 3 weeks ago and was most impressed with it's video performance. In my opinion, SD broadcasts look like, well...SD broadcasts. On the other hand, the HD stuff (coming off DTV) looks simply stunning. As for using it as a video monitor, the horizontal resolution is 720 so that's likely going to limit you to running an 800x600 resolution with the standard fare of computer equipment out there. Now if you have a digital video card that can put up the 720, you'd be all set, but I was informed by Samsung that a number of cards do not support this. Actually I think the CSRs words were something to the effect of "good luck in finding one".

According to Samsung, the ONLY difference between this TV (LTN226W) and it's predecessor (the LTM225W) is the HDCP feature of the DVI. Of course this may not be important now, but in the future it could be so it's a big deal to me. Interestingly, the original LTM225W sales brochure from Samsung listed the DVI as being HDCP compliant. I actually have a copy of that old brochure and used it to guide my purchase. Shortly afterward (around March), Samsung realized the mistake and corrected the brochure; however, many web vendors that still have the LTM225W in stock list the DVI as being HDCP. Needless to say, my LTM225W went back and I'll have soon have a LTN226W. Once it's operational I'll post my impressions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.