Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Professor Dave
Looks very cool

I wonder what the the cost will be of the 54 LCD?
We'll probably find out 'round Cedia '04 at best and CES '05 at worst, and you won't see one in your neighborhood CC till Q2 '05. Still, In the spirit of Price Is Right (tm) I say 12,500 buckaroos and not a cent more. The 52" LGs will be cheaper methinks.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, I suppose if it doesn't ship until Q2 2005 I'd believe the price at $12,500. I would hope the shipping was sooner, even if the price was higher.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It is depressing that these things will not be out until 2005.

On a happier note, I just found out that Sharp has some goodies up its sleeves for 2004.

I cannot get specific, as my source asked for this info to be kept confidential.

Unfortunatley, they will not make it out for the Holidays and no they will not be putting out a 42" LCD........think a little larger (to Start).

Rest assured, the Japanese are in the game and do not seem ready to give up their title as "LCD CHAMPION OF THE WOOORLD"!!!!!!!~! :D

Mark

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sharp accelerates ramp of LCD TV production facility

By Yoshiko Hara

EE Times

January 10, 2003 (6:21 p.m. ET)

TOKYO — Sharp Corp. is accelerating its plans to bring a fabrication facility for LCD TVs online and said the plant will be able to make systems with displays larger than 40-inches. The company is therefore dropping PDP TVs from its product portfolio.

"We have cleared technical difficulties, which will enable us to build 40- to 50-inch LCD TVs [in volume] early next year. Once we can make 40-inch and larger TVs, it is efficient to concentrate on LCD TVs," said Sharp president Katsushiko Machida. Sharp has been building and selling PDP TVs using PDP panels purchased from outside suppliers.

Sharp is stepping up construction of a fab in Kameyama, Japan that will produce which will produce large LCD TV panels using 1,500 x 1,800-mm glass substrates. Originally scheduled to begin operation in May 2004, Sharp has accelerated that schedule by four months, and now plans to begin volume production there next January.

Sharp has also increased its projection of LCD demand to 5.5 million units worldwide in 2004, up from 4.5 million units, and to 8 million units in 2005, up from 6 million units. The forecasts of market research firm DisplaySearch is more bullish: 7.5 million units in 2004, and 13 million in 2005. Such strong expectation motivated Sharp's decision to accelerate the operation of its fab.

Sharp is currently the world's top LCD TV player with 50 percent share of the world market, according to DisplaySearch, but is not as strong as other players in large-sized screens. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. showed a prototype 54-inch LCD TV at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, and has offered a 40-inch LCD TV since the middle of last year.

"Such a large size is possible at an experimental level, but can such panels really be made in volume?" Machida asked. "Sharp is the most advanced in establishing real volume production of large TVs. Only Sharp is selling the large sized TV in volume."

The largest LCD TV currently sold by Sharp has a 37-inch screen. The fab currently under construction will enable 60-inch panels, Machida said. "In 2004, when Kameyama begins operation, Sharp will operate with the largest substrate," he said.

Samsung, LG Philips and Au Optoronics are planning to launch so-called seventh-generation LCD lines able to produce 1,800 x 2,100-mm substrates in 2004, but those lines aren't expected to enter volume operation until 2005. Many competitors are currently operating fabs that make fifth-generation substrates measuring about 1,000 x 1,250 mm.

Machida acknowledged that Japanese display makers will face harsh competition from suppliers in Korea, Taiwan and China, but said Japanese companies have an advantage in terms of intellectual property. Japan has 13,000 to 15,000 patents related to LCD technologies, while Korea has about 1,000 and Taiwan has 30, he said.

"In terms of technology, there is a big gap between Japan and its competitors. We are going to strongly urge them to respect intellectual properties," Machida said. Sharp struck a licensing deal with CPT last month in an effort to assert its intellectual property.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So along the lines of the Samsung and Q2 2005, I want to point out that the mindshare battle that Samsung is fighting with LG is wonderful, but also easy to deceive.

So many here were jumping up and down over the Samsung after CES and those who were skeptical it was really a product and would really ship when they claimed (Q1 2004) were right to be skeptical.

It is nearly two years to Q2 2005, and the selection matrix will be radically altered by then. As is the case with today's overpriced 40" LCDs, it might well be true that you are facing a $4000-6000, 50" plasma or a $12500 54" LCD at that point. And they might both be branded Samsung.

It's also possible that one of the many "third technologies" might be on the market by then.

Hard to make purchasing choices beyond what is available now -- or what is most definitively known about what's coming soon.

Mark

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMR
It is depressing that these things will not be out until 2005.

On a happier note, I just found out that Sharp has some goodies up its sleeves for 2004.

I cannot get specific, as my source asked for this info to be kept confidential.

Unfortunatley, they will not make it out for the Holidays and no they will not be putting out a 42" LCD........think a little larger (to Start).

Rest assured, the Japanese are in the game and do not seem ready to give up their title as "LCD CHAMPION OF THE WOOORLD"!!!!!!!~! :D

Mark
Amen.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is exactly why I personally purchased the new Panasonic 50" :D....I am tired of waiting and quite honestly, they are priced pretty good for this technology.

Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
So along the lines of the Samsung and Q2 2005, I want to point out that the mindshare battle that Samsung is fighting with LG is wonderful, but also easy to deceive.

So many here were jumping up and down over the Samsung after CES and those who were skeptical it was really a product and would really ship when they claimed (Q1 2004) were right to be skeptical.

It is nearly two years to Q2 2005, and the selection matrix will be radically altered by then. As is the case with today's overpriced 40" LCDs, it might well be true that you are facing a $4000-6000, 50" plasma or a $12500 54" LCD at that point. And they might both be branded Samsung.

It's also possible that one of the many "third technologies" might be on the market by then.

Hard to make purchasing choices beyond what is available now -- or what is most definitively known about what's coming soon.

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I think you will very much enjoy that Panasonic.

On a slightly related topic, there was an article in the New York Times about how -- at last -- some LCDs can match the color gamut of CRTs. Apparently, the LED backlit prototypes can sometimes do better.

So the future is bright for LCD -- as we all know. But the large size flat panel present -- and probably future too when you are talking big panels -- is quite bright indeed for plasma.

I am wishing I could re-take the plunge on a 50", but alas that will have to wait....

Mark of CMR, Enjoy! and keep on keeping us up to date on what you know.

Mark (Rogo)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks Rogo, will Do!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.