1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
in all fairness. the idea of using anything other than a front projector for a 'theater' seems crazy to me too.

I just like the plasmas for all the casual viewing I do. cheap LCD's are just way too much of a step down, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to HAVE to spend a lot of money for high end dimming lcd's just so you can watch some tv shows without being annoyed about the black levels.

guess there's still LG, for now.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The firm plans to end all plasma display operations by November 30. So, when will prices start to rise? I believe Panasonic was quoted to end production in March 2014, and sets were hard to find starting in December; gone in January. Speculation on Samsung? Similar trend would mean last month to purchase safely would be July. And probably the end of any discounts within the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if the number of units in households is at saturation. Plasma TVs can last a long time, and in 2010 Panasonic shipped 19.1 million panels. ??

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
This was easy to predict the second Panasonic said it was getting out of plasma. LG will discontinue plasma within a year.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
For the people who want a plasma with LCD blacks?

I guess I need to get out and buy a 64" F8500 in the next few days.
haha. well, I've been noticing a lot more restaurants and bars have LG plasmas in them these days. guess the viewing angles are still important enough to justify going for plasma, even if it's not for the superior blacks/contrast.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
This was easy to predict the second Panasonic said it was getting out of plasma. LG will discontinue plasma within a year.
it was always a question of when.
the f8500 being carried over untouched was another sign of the end.

I guess we just all hoped, naively, that they'd keep making the f8500 (and h5000 as well i guess) as long as it kept selling

I'm sure LG will stop right away too, hopefully to put more into their oled line, the ONLY suitable replacement for plasma on the horizon. but if they could manufacture panels efficiently enough, it would be interesting if LG had a 'monopoly' on both plasma and oled. if you wanted a good value tv, go buy LG plasma. if you wanted the best pq on the market, go buy an lg oled. if every single plasma owner turned to LG, that might be enough demand to support one company...

Reactions: StinDaWg

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
it was always a question of when.
the f8500 being carried over untouched was another sign of the end.

I guess we just all hoped, naively, that they'd keep making the f8500 (and h5000 as well i guess) as long as it kept selling
On the bright side, we won't have to worry about anymore FW updates that do little if anything. Wonder if this will be the end of the EVO kit for the F8500 too?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
The firm plans to end all plasma display operations by November 30. So, when will prices start to rise. I believe Panasonic was quoted to end production in March 2014, and sets were hard to find starting in December; gone in January. Speculation on Samsung? Similar trend would mean last month to purchase safely would be July. And probably the end of any discounts within the next couple weeks.
does that actually happen at the retail level?
the Panasonics never went up in price in stores here. the st60, vt60, and zt60 were all heavily discounted until they were sold out

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
On the bright side, we won't have to worry about anymore FW updates that do little if anything. Wonder if this will be the end of the EVO kit for the F8500 too?
interesting question. I think they are still obligated to make evo kits until 2017.

they 'should' fulfill this promise, unless they give up on evo kits across the board. I mean, why on earth would I believe the claim of 5yrs of support for the evo kit on my new curved UHD led tv if they didn't do it for the earlier models.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I wonder if the number of units in households is at saturation. Plasma TVs can last a long time, and in 2010 Panasonic shipped 19.1 million panels. ??
maybe. do you think satisfaction level is higher with plasma? I mean, is somebody more likely to buy lcd's more often than plasma?

unfortunately, the market doesn't seem to be able to support quality products that last for several years anymore. not enough consumers are willing to buy one awesome tv for 5k ever 10yrs instead of buy one crappy $500 tv every year.

but to your point. I do feel I personally am in a stagnant state with regards to TV's. my bedroom lcd is 'good enough', plasma in the living room will likely last another 10yrs, plasma in the basement is the f8500 and I hope it'll last until I 'must have oled'(at which point it'll likely replace that living room plasma, which might replace my bedroom lcd...). basically, every tv I own right now is 'good enough' for it's purpose and working well. if/when I replace one, everything else will just get shifted down the line, so unless something major happens, i'll probably buy another tv in 4-5yrs, and only if it's much better than my f8500.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
does that actually happen at the retail level?
the Panasonics never went up in price in stores here. the st60, vt60, and zt60 were all heavily discounted until they were sold out

Unusual unless you are talking open box items. especially when you use the adjective heavily. This just did not occur. Prices were stable until the end of December (although quantities were very limited at Best Buy for example). No price reductions what so ever. Just the opposite when the calendar switched to 2014. But in fairness Samsung does not have the plasma rep of Panasonic, and many already purchased the Panasonic plasmas. So demand may be less.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Man oh man that sucks. Im not a videophile, but I am a dabbler and a gaming/technology geek. The 51" F4500 is the hands down the best TV I've personally watched a movie on, and its even better for gaming. This $400 set outperforms $1000+ LCDs. I have a 51" F5300 coming from BB tomorrow. Plasma is so superior to LCD for home viewing its not even funny, and its cheaper to boot.

Meanwhile crappy/useless 4K LCD displays are all the rage. Unbelievable.

Its such a shame most plasmas look like CRAP on brightly lit showroom floors side by side with LCDs, but look so stunning in a home setting. Even I was skeptical when I "took a chance" on the 4500 after seeing how dim it looked compared to LCDs. People just dont know.

Showrooms killed plasma. Myths about burn in didnt help either.:(

·
Premium Member
18,283 Posts
The firm plans to end all plasma display operations by November 30. So, when will prices start to rise? I believe Panasonic was quoted to end production in March 2014, and sets were hard to find starting in December; gone in January.
For the record, Panasonic never said it would end production in March 2014, the Japanese press got their facts wrong, mis-reported it, and everyone else parroted the error after that. March is the end of Panasonic's fiscal year and their plan was to dismantle all the plasma manufacturing plants and assembly plants before their fiscal year ended in March.

End of plasma production was always scheduled to end in December just as it had every year since 1999.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Unusual unless you are talking open box items. especially when you use the adjective heavily. This just did not occur. Prices were stable until the end of December (although quantities were very limited at Best Buy for example). No price reductions what so ever. Just the opposite when the calendar switched to 2014. But in fairness Samsung does not have the plasma rep of Panasonic, and many already purchased the Panasonic plasmas. So demand may be less.
wow that sucks. I've never seen a tv not go on sale when the new ones arrived.

the vt60 and zt60 were almost 2grand off at the end here(a month or two ago). I find it really shocking that in a retail setting they would raise prices above msrp.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
I find it really shocking that in a retail setting they would raise prices above msrp.
Supply and demand at work though the more established players did not pull those stunts. Places like Amazon didn't raise the prices at the end. I don't think Best Buy did either.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Supply and demand at work though the more established players did not pull those stunts. Places like Amazon didn't raise the prices at the end. I don't think Best Buy did either.
maybe part of it is that you basically can't operate here without offering a price match or price BEAT guarantee. seriously, if the store doesn't have one, it's going out of business in a year. so we don't really have a lot of those 'unauthorized' sellers still around.

so if a store has a 5% price beat(which is pretty standard here, the better stores offer an even higher percentage) and for example I saw one store selling the 65" for around 3500. if another store had it listed for 5k, you'd end up buying it for 3500 - (.05*1500), or 3425 anyway. pulling a stunt like that just wouldn't fly here. the highest they could hope to sell a product for is MSRP, and that only happens if they are the only one with stock(ie memoryexpress has the 60" zt60 for 4300 right now. possibly the last 2 out there in that location, but that's still about what they were selling for when released. it's not a jacked up price, it's just no longer on sale.

Reactions: tubetwister

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Like Panasonic previously, such sad and frustrating news to hear of the end of Samsung plasma. Anticipating this demise, I have just purchased 3 Samsung plasmas in the past month, all at bargain prices. I got a 51F4500 for $399, a 51F5300 for $529, and a 60F5300 for $679. Worked some overtime and the first two were paid for in cash. All models are excellent in their own distinctive style. I also have a 51E7000 and a 50ST60 from previous purchases. Currently I am actively using the 4500, 7000, and ST60 in 3 different rooms. The other 2 5300's are on hold for future use. And my mother has a 43F4500 in her bedroom. I am a plasma man all the way, and sorry to see the end coming near. But I am at least prepared to make it last for a while. And believe it or not, the lowest priced, entry level F4500 just may be my favorite out of them all, as the pic quality is excellent for local antenna and cable TV. Although the E7000 and ST60 are awesome for Blu-Ray movies.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts