AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Got to step up my plans to buy a Samsung 51F5300.
60f5300 here that's the real TV in the house the rest are LCD I'm sure you will enjoy the 51 lot of folks like it !
OTOH if you can swing the 60 and the pentile screen is not an issue for you ( no prob. here ) nothing wrong with going bigger if you have the room !

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Your suggestion is the same as the one that customer service at the AVS store recommended. They do, in fact, have an open-box available for $6500 right now. What's unfortunate for me is that I'm not purchasing until probably the beginning of December. The MSRP on the projector is $13k. Apparently I also will need a special lens or Lumagen Video Processor (though I am still trying to figure out what that does). So that does put me back up to the $15k window. This is all without the screen too, but I've seen plenty of high-quality solutions for screens at very reasonable prices, especially over at Da-lite.

I am hopeful though that since there is a projector available at 50% off for an open-box now, that I'll be able to shop around online and find a similar price when the time comes.
I assume your 15K is coming from paying 13k instead of the 6500 that they are selling for now? is there no chance of buying early? to save over 6grand, I'd buy it now. if, you in fact decide it's what you want.

who knows what the going rate will be for LED projectors next year. maybe it'll come down enough?

the other option, is you just buy a jvc for 4k and replace the bulb every year. there's no reason why you CAN'T use the projector for 14hrs a day if you want to. it's just that most ppl save them for movies so they don't have to pay extra for bulbs. but spending 13k on an LED projector just to save $300 a year on bulbs doesn't really add up either. at school we use bulb based projectors, and they are on for around 6-7hrs a day. there's really no issue with that. I think there's more on an issue if you only want to turn them on for 2mins at a time, as they do take a while to warm up and get going.

if I'm not mistaken, there's a few other projectors that are pretty much the same design as the cine 1000. I can't remember what they are, but do a little research and you might find a couple more options to bargain hunt for. maybe even buy one used

·
Registered
903 Posts
I don't know how much difference there is between a low budget plasma and a 8500,but the low budget I've here has a few too many quirks,from low voltage discoloration which really damages the image,lack of light filter,extremely difficult for everyday person too adjust.Those are just 3 things but they're huge for image quality.I'm fairly satisfied with it but it's been endless adjusting.A lot of people don't have $2000 for an 8500 which will have at least some of the same problems,the cablebox,the high monthly cable tv cost.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I don't know how much difference there is between a low budget plasma and a 8500,but the low budget I've here has a few too many quirks,from low voltage discoloration which really damages the image,lack of light filter,extremely difficult for everyday person too adjust.Those are just 3 things but they're huge for image quality.I'm fairly satisfied with it but it's been endless adjusting.A lot of people don't have $2000 for an 8500 which will have at least some of the same problems,the cablebox,the high monthly cable tv cost.
Someyimes in bright rooms am LCD might be a reasonable choice

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
regardless of the tech used, there's a big difference between a cheap tv and a high end tv.

as much as I am a plasma lover, I'd still take a high end lcd over a cheap plasma.

this the difference between my f8500(using default settings no less) vs my 'cheap' plasma it replaced(that was diy calibrated)

I've experienced no uniformity issues, it's the best screen filter I've seen on ANY tv(not that I've seen them all by any means), and the stock picture presets, while not perfect, still deliver a better image than most of the TV's on the market today are even capable of. basically, the f8500 'at its worst' is still better than most others 'at their best'. so even if it were impossible to calibrate, I'd choose it over some cheap tv that was easy to calibrate.

I have no idea what cable tv costs has to do with the f8500. are you getting free cable with another tv?

anyway, the question is not what's the difference between a good tv and a cheap tv, the question that matters is if you notice the difference between a cheap tv and an expensive one. the differences are there, and substantial if you notice them. not everybody does I guess. it's pretty obvious to me

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I think we are being told what to buy, since Plasma is less profitable. This annoys me.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
regardless of the tech used, there's a big difference between a cheap tv and a high end tv.

as much as I am a plasma lover, I'd still take a high end lcd over a cheap plasma.
Define "cheap". I would take a sub $700 60F5300 over 99% of lcds. The blacks aren't much worse than your F8500.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Define "cheap". I would take a sub $700 60F5300 over 99% of lcds. The blacks aren't much worse than your F8500.
I define cheap based on quality, not price ;)

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I define cheap based on quality, not price ;)
I'm not sure I would agree. I would probably take even an LG plasma over everything but something like a 4K Vizio P or Reference series. I can't get over the lcd deficiencies, even the expensive ones. The only lcd I've ever seen that I thought looked good was the Sharp Elite, and that was only from dead center.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I'm not sure I would agree. I would probably take even an LG plasma over everything but something like a 4K Vizio P or Reference series. I can't get over the lcd deficiencies, even the expensive ones. The only lcd I've ever seen that I thought looked good was the Sharp Elite, and that was only from dead center.
For $8000 you can buy the Sony 65X950B, which can match the Sharp Elite, but not a $3000 64F8500. :grin:

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
my statement is based off the fact my LN40D630 has better blacks(MUCH better in fact), better motion, and equally good color as my PN50B530.

I'm slightly tainted because I specifically bought that b530 based on the 'fact' plasmas had better blacks, and then it in fact had the worst blacks of just about every tv I've owned :(. after that point I accepted that it wasn't just a matter of plasma or lcd, it was mostly a matter of quality. I'm quite sure a f5300 is a higher quality plasma than the b530 I purchased. even though I paid 1000bux for mine, the more expensive price doesn't make it a higher quality display.

I don't have much experience with LG plasmas, basically one of my friends has one and I've watched it at his place once. it looked good in all regards except blacks. I consider blacks the most important part, as it's the most obvious difference between TV's on the market today. I mean they all produce good colors when calibrated(theres few exceptions of course), they are all more than bright enough for me, they all look good from dead center(where I sit), they all have 1080p resolutions(available at least). the difference in blacks however is huge.

so that's where I'm coming from. I guess in simplest form what I'm saying is that it's still possible for a plasma to be made so poorly it's actually worse than an LCD. so even when I've decided 'plasma is better than lcd', I still want to make sure I'm buying a GOOD plasma, because I already made that mistake of thinking all plasmas are better than all lcd's.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
For $8000 you can buy the Sony 65X950B, which can match the Sharp Elite, but not a $3000 64F8500. :grin:
but I'm sure it'd be a better TV than the entry level plasmas from LG.

btw, if we toss VALUE into the equation, my previous statements don't stand. I'd rather spend more to get more, though. if you buy the best, you can buy less often. it works out in the long run imo.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
the more established players did not pull those stunts.either.
exactly

The minute the reputable dealers sold out of inventory.....the "others" raised their prices

They did the same thing on the Sharp elite LED...they will do the same on the F8500 when reputable retailers sell out

My question is....who is buying these units at above MSRP?

Warren

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
you might want to check your figures

I am pretty sure the Sharp Elite had a very close black level to the F8500....and I think it would actually get brighter than a F8500 as well

Towards the end end you could buy a new Sharp elite in a 70" at Best Buy for a little more than $3K...as I recall

At some point BB will likely has the F8500 at lower prices than today as well

I dont have anything to say about that Sony...IMO...they have gone backwards since they discontinued the HX950 FALD model

Warren

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
The Sharp Elite has significantly better and more stable blacks compared to the F8500, but it has color decoding issues as well as 'things' that can plague LEDs.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
you might want to check your figures

I am pretty sure the Sharp Elite had a very close black level to the F8500....and I think it would actually get brighter than a F8500 as well

Towards the end end you could buy a new Sharp elite in a 70" at Best Buy for a little more than $3K...as I recall

At some point BB will likely has the F8500 at lower prices than today as well

I dont have anything to say about that Sony...IMO...they have gone backwards since they discontinued the HX950 FALD model

Warren
The Sharp Elite has the cyan bug that was never fixed. DSE and poor off axis viewing on both the Elite and Sony X950B. So the Elite could match the F8500 in blacks, but nothing else. Obviously the future is not with plasma, so my point is moot. Hopefully in the near future these inherent issues with LED will be solved. Chad has a good review of the X950B and comparison with the Sharp Elite.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1530824-official-sony-x950b-owner-s-thread-26.html#post25318457

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
The Sharp Elite has significantly better and more stable blacks compared to the F8500, but it has color decoding issues as well as 'things' that can plague LEDs.
The Sharp Elite has the cyan bug that was never fixed. DSE and poor off axis viewing on both the Elite and Sony X950B. So the Elite could match the F8500 in blacks, but nothing else. Obviously the future is not with plasma, so my point is moot. Hopefully in the near future these inherent issues with LED will be solved. Chad has a good review of the X950B and comparison with the Sharp Elite.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1530824-official-sony-x950b-owner-s-thread-26.html#post25318457
as I thought...so better black levels and brighter than the F8500

I thought some of the color issues were solved with updates from Sharp?...then there is that 70" size capability

The Sharp Elite had the best off angle viewing capability I have ever seen on an LED,virtually no blooming and the active 3D was very good as well
In fact as I recall better 3D capability than my Panasonic Plasmas...thought not as good as either Samsung plasmas.C8000, F8500 that I own
Though, any of them are better than the passive 3D on the LG LM7600....
I came VERY close to buying a Sharp Elite LED...and I am a plasma guy. That is how good I thought it was

Interesting how Chad didn't use the last Sony FALD..HX950 in his comparison. He used the older HX929

Warren

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
exactly

The minute the reputable dealers sold out of inventory.....the "others" raised their prices

They did the same thing on the Sharp elite LED...they will do the same on the F8500 when reputable retailers sell out

My question is....who is buying these units at above MSRP?

Warren

who is buying from these retailers in the first place? I'm pretty sure any place that operated like that here wouldn't last a year. plenty of 'shady' electronics shops have come and gone, 'we don't take kindly to your kind around here', haha.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
who is buying from these retailers in the first place? I'm pretty sure any place that operated like that here wouldn't last a year. plenty of 'shady' electronics shops have come and gone, 'we don't take kindly to your kind around here', haha.
agreed and understood

However...some here and other places always try to talk about the new and resale values of the now discontinued and pretty much out of stock Panasonic VT/ZT series

They always use these type of price examples...from non reputable retailers on Ebay/Amazon at the litmus test for their point
That was my question...is anyone really going to buy that $5500 Panasonic ZT or that $7500 Sharp elite LED?...and in short order that $5000 or more Samsung F8500?

btw...I have seen those asking prices recently on the ZT and Sharp Elite and about laughed out of my chair....and the Sharp was used!!

Warren

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Oddly enough, BB lists an $8000 ZT60 on their marketplace inside their online store when you select plasma.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts