AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
agreed and understood

However...some here and other places always try to talk about the new and resale values of the now discontinued and pretty much out of stock Panasonic VT/ZT series

They always use these type of price examples...from non reputable retailers on Ebay/Amazon at the litmus test for their point
That was my question...is anyone really going to buy that $5500 Panasonic ZT or that $7500 Sharp elite LED?...and in short order that $5000 or more Samsung F8500?

btw...I have seen those asking prices recently on the ZT and Sharp Elite and about laughed out of my chair....and the Sharp was used!!

Warren

the problem is it only takes one or two ppl to pay those prices and ppl will start thinking that's the 'market value'. but it takes EVERYBODY to not pay those prices, for a long time, before the 'market value' will drop.

I haven't seen any zt's at BB(not sure they ever got them in Canada?) but the last a/v chain I saw with them had them on for about a grand off, and they just sold out finally around may I think(that's about the last time I saw them listed online anyway). the only place I've seen recently has a 60" for 4300, but it's more of a computer store than your typical home theater oriented electronics store. but if I could find another to pricematch to, they offer a 25% 'uber price beat'. haha. but honestly, I buy a lot from this store because of that price beat. it's actually better when their prices are super high, cause then I pay less ;) they seem to do a decent job of matching whatever the current lowest advertised price is though, but I'm getting off topic now...

but hey, if somebody wants to pay me 5k for my f8500 in a couple years, and I can get a new oled for that much, I'd almost definitely do that. that's why I don't think the prices will get that crazy. this time around, the replacement isn't drastically inferior, it's actually better in many ways already, and it's just beginning. I mean, kuro owners have been turning their noses up at the 'greys' that have been passing for black for years, but already oled has casually beaten that without even trying. if oled succeeds, the kuros, vt/zt, and f8500's won't skyrocket in value like they would if edgelit LED's were the only option on the market

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
fierce_gt wrote ,

But hey, if somebody wants to pay me 5k for my f8500 in a couple years, and I can get a new oled for that much, I'd almost definitely do that. that's why I don't think the prices will get that crazy. this time around, the replacement isn't drastically inferior, it's actually better in many ways already, and it's just beginning. I mean, kuro owners have been turning their noses up at the 'greys' that have been passing for black for years, but already oled has casually beaten that without even trying. if oled succeeds, the kuros, vt/zt, and f8500's won't skyrocket in value like they would if edgelit LED's were the only option on the market

Re tubtwister

TBH your logic is very sound and overall a very good argument regarding OLED you pretty much have the options covered. +1

IF Sammy Sony and Panasonic can't move the Plasma buyers into LCD either they will cede the OLED market to LG as they have now or possibly with the exception of Samsung (they can make them ) will buy LGD OLED panels .

I Think read Sony and maybe Panasonic might buy LGD OLED panels but don't count on my memory much longer than between the last meal and the next one ..............or was it the next one and the last one ?☺

·
Registered
8,694 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
regardless of the tech used, there's a big difference between a cheap tv and a high end tv.

as much as I am a plasma lover, I'd still take a high end lcd over a cheap plasma.

this the difference between my f8500(using default settings no less) vs my 'cheap' plasma it replaced(that was diy calibrated)

I've experienced no uniformity issues, it's the best screen filter I've seen on ANY tv(not that I've seen them all by any means), and the stock picture presets, while not perfect, still deliver a better image than most of the TV's on the market today are even capable of. basically, the f8500 'at its worst' is still better than most others 'at their best'. so even if it were impossible to calibrate, I'd choose it over some cheap tv that was easy to calibrate.

I have no idea what cable tv costs has to do with the f8500. are you getting free cable with another tv?

anyway, the question is not what's the difference between a good tv and a cheap tv, the question that matters is if you notice the difference between a cheap tv and an expensive one. the differences are there, and substantial if you notice them. not everybody does I guess. it's pretty obvious to me
I don't see it as making much of a difference. One has too much color, and could be toned down.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I don't see it as making much of a difference. One has too much color, and could be toned down.
Pictures are not going to show you much since they are limited by the performance of the camera.

Ian

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The brightness was too slight and the color was too high on the bottom one. The brightness controls the operational black level.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

here's an over-exposed version to show the difference(just in case you're viewing on a pc monitor that probably didn't show the vast difference in black levels)

top one is the f8500, day I bought it, using factory settings. the colors are very blue, and that's not what I'm commenting on.
the bottom one is the b530, and that's has black as it can possibly get, I've had several lcds that got blacker than it did :(

it's interesting that you though the brightness setting was too low...

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
So where are the ~65" UHD OLED TVs?
I'm not worried about it in the least ..................................... haven't learned how to print my own money yet :D

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

this the difference between my f8500(using default settings no less) vs my 'cheap' plasma it replaced(that was diy calibrated)

Hard to tell if there is a difference. Did you shoot those pictures with a 1990's flip phone or something?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Hard to tell if there is a difference. Did you shoot those pictures with a 1990's flip phone or something?
I didn't use my t3i, but if viewed on a quality display, the difference in black is clearly visible, and that was the only thing I intended to show.

Reactions: tubetwister

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I didn't use my t3i, but if viewed on a quality display, the difference in black is clearly visible, and that was the only thing I intended to show.
Difference in black is readily apparent on this calibrated IPS PC monitor those f8500 are good probably a lot more goodness with a pro calibration no convincing needed here ☺

f8500 CalMan 5 Calibration results and differences are also readily apparent in the before and after results imagic posted right here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1576401-masking-your-edgelit-lcd-tv-better-blacks-11.html#post25485138

Although lesser Samsung plasma ( my 60f5300 ) aren't bad compared to many of the better LCD not as good as f8500
by any means but not bad if you never saw an f8500 or VT/ ZT Panny .:D

PS are you going to get that that 85" $75,000 4K 3D Sony OLED when it comes out ☺☺☺
EDIT : or the new Sammy 4 K UHD OLED ?

Still having trouble printing those new 100's so I won't be getting one soon :D

The DOW (DJA) busted 17,000 again today (lots of short covering though overall market (including the DJA was down ) Imagine that ? Not a good time to be shorting ! OTOH there might be some downside opportunity ?:cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmm, since November 30 is the target date for Samsung to close down their plasma operations, I wonder if they are going to have a big Black Friday blowout. I would love to be able to snag an 8500 cheap. I wonder if I should start saving my pennies.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts