AVS Forum banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
It's true that there are no more 2013 TV sets in their distribution chain, but various boards and other parts are still available from Panasonic's consumer and pro parts departments (including various new and factory-refurbished boards) but like every year for the past 15 years, this inventory eventually gets depleted. Panasonic's parts department is still open for business. And if new or refurbished boards are no longer available from Panasonic, there are a number of independent parts suppliers that not only have new or used or refurbished boards available, some also have a service where you (or the service center you're dealing with) can send your boards in to be diagnosed and repaired then shipped back to you. Sadly, more and more service centers are not interested in or capable of doing their own in-house board diagnosis or repair, and some are even incapable and/or unwilling to diagnose the actual TV to see which board has failed - choosing instead to just ham-fist it and replace boards until the TV starts working again.

As for the plasma panel portion, some years back when the prices of the TVs were high (like $2000-$4000) they did have spare panel modules available after end of production as it was still economical to replace a $1,000 panel under warranty, but starting about 4 years ago when the price of the TVs had become much lower it became more economical to simply replace the TV as opposed to providing an expensive panel then also incurring the high cost to ship that panel to the service center then also pay the labor costs to replace said panel, so they stopped stockpiling spare panels and instead withheld some new TVs in stock for factory warranty replacement.

Samsung actually was more likely to replace the whole TV under warranty than Panasonic was since Panasonic TVs have more replaceable boards while Samsung saves cost by building their boards into the panel module itself, so if a driver board goes bad, they would have had to replace the whole panel since the board is not removable. Panasonic panel modules have less on-board electronics than the Samsungs do.
Good info, thanks for sharing. I have one question related to your comment about independent parts suppliers carrying boards in addition to the manufacturer's supply. I got my F5300 from Sears and purchased an extended warranty through them. Let's say a few years from now my set needs to be repaired (non-panel or driver board issue) and neither Sears nor Samsung have the board in question left in their supply. Would they check with these independent part suppliers or would they just determine the set cannot be repaired?

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
I've been noticing over the past few months that on a white or gray uniform screen (or any pale, grayish color), there is a blue-green line in the bottom on the panel, from the extreme left edge to the extreme right edge. It was always there to some extent but it seems to be getting more visible/saturated gradually over time. In addition, a pink tint seems to be building above that line, though still in the lowest third of the panel, vertically speaking.

At the moment, I don't think the issue is visible enough with most content to warrant a service request (also I understand most F5300s, at least a models, have some discoloration somewhere on the screen... especially with pink tint on 60" models); however, with Samsung making no more panels or sets after November 30, I wonder how long panels for my PN515300(AFXZA) model will be available. Of course, I would not accept a refurbished panel for a TV purchased as new, so I'm only interested in new ones.

Does anyone know how long I can expect new panels to be available for my model once Samsung stops PDP production entirely? If the issue described above continues to get worse, I might need to file a service request and hopefully get a new panel replacement. The annoying part is odds are by the time this issue has progressed to a state warranting repair, both Samsung will have stopped making PDPs and my factory warranty from Samsung will have expired (though Sears will cover my set for 4 more years starting January 2015).

I found this site (http://www.samsungparts.com/partslist.aspx?Catalog=Parts_and_Accessories&Category=PN51F5300AFXZA), which apparently is the official source (distributor/reseller) for Samsung parts (at least for Samsung consumers, not companies like Sears). They even seem to have LCD panels for LCD TVs I have from 2005 and 2009, which was surprising to me. However, I assume the latter is true because they can still make LCD panels for old models on demand, whereas once all PDP manufacturing facilities are shut the only new panels available will be what's left and the rest probably refurbished.

This site also mentions they sell only new parts (directly from Samsung).

Anyone know more about this matter than I do and can predict how long new panels for my a model 51" F5300 will remain available? At least from Samsung directly or from Sears?

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
Also, how accurate are parts sites like this and SearsPartsDirect.com? For the S60 I had last year, the Sears site still said the panel was available through home service for months after the Sears tech and Panasonic lady stated no panels were available. So are such sites updated infrequently and can say a panel is still available when it no longer is and will never be?

101 - 103 of 103 Posts