Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I've been lurking for about 6 months, and investigating RPTVs for almost as long.

I was fairly convinced about a Samsung DLP set and took my wife to check out the HLN617W today. She was impressed with the picture, size of TV, and the whole weight advantage. The off axis vertical picture viewing was a put off.

After leaving the shop, we started talking about whether or not weight and depth really mattered.

So now I am back to square one. A friend recently acquired a Hitachi 57" RPTV and I thought the picture was pretty good, but I haven't spent enough time to really determine whether I like the picture or not.

DLP would be stretching the budget but possible, and dead pixels/burn-in have me concerned about LCD and plasma.

So it really comes down to CRT vs. DLP. I am hoping to lean on the expertise of the members of this forum to give me a decent starting point as a reference.

Viewing distance from the TV would be about 12 feet. I am really concentrating on 57/61/65 inch sets, although I would consider the right 50 inch TV. There are enough windows in the room that glare can be a problem. My viewing patterns today are probably 70% standard definition TV, 30% DVD. That mix should include HDTV once I actually buy an RPTV :) So stretch modes are reasonably important, as well as number and type of inputs.

I've gathered enough from the forum so far that Mitsubishi, Hitachi, and Samsung are well regarded in general as far as CRT and DLP go.

For those of you who have made similar comparisons, what made the difference for you?

Is there any website that provides an objective review of inputs and technical specs for comparison?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Since standard definition is 70% of your viewing, you really should concentrate on how these sets perform in standard definition.

My limited experience has been that the Samsung DLP, which looks great on Hi Def, did not look as sharp as the Panny LCD for SD. But then for what a 50" LCD cost, you can get a Mits 65413 that's 65" and has better blacks, better gray scale and a better SD picture quality with change to spare.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fuse
The off axis vertical picture viewing was a put off.
This will be the case with any RPTV. You may want to look at a direct view CRT, LCD, or PLASMA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.