AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. Having done my research and having looked at several options, I've decided to to go with the Samsung DLP. Finally saw one in person yesterday and I was hooked. (I saw an HLN 5065W at BestBuy.)

However, while I know the HLN's are the newer models, I am still confused by the difference between the HLN 507W and the HLN 5065W.

What is the difference between these two products?

Thanks much.

Holly :confused:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Only slight cosmetic differences, charcoal bezel on the HLNXX7s and different marketing badges (DCDi) even though the XX65 models have the same chip/processing they just don't advertise it on the TV itself. The internals of all the HLN sets are the same. The Tantus models will have a slightly newer firmware when they debut next month.

This thread has some useful information in it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=244489

this one is also a good one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=227068

note that the first post has been updated since it was first posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've researched the 507 and 5065. the big difference is (and it is big)the 3:2 pulldown chip and scaler. The 507 has the Faroudja DCDi video processor and

Faroudja patented 3:2 pull down and the 5065 does not. This is a big difference when viewing wide scaled media from 4:3 format from any source!

If you can sport the extra bucks go with the 507. Best Buy does not carry that model. However, your upscale a/v retailers do. IE. Sound Advice...Circuit City....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Houston,

I don't blame you for being confused about this. I'm sure even the most careful research would suggest that the XX65 models do not have DNIe or the FLI 2300 chip. However, the XX65 models do indeed have the same internals as all the other HLN models. Across the board, the only differences among the HLN models are cosmetic. I got this straight from Steve Panosian, the Sr. Marketing Manager at Samsung.

Why did they do this? I'm not really clear on that, but I guess it has to do with having different products for different retail outlets.

Hope this clears things up for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm glad I am not the only one who is confused! Because I too thought the difference was the FLI 2300 chip. I believe I read here or on another board that the 5065 did NOT have the upgraded chip, only a "normal" processor. So before I plunked down my hard-earned money, I wanted to get that point nailed down.

This is even more interesting in that in shopping around on the net, it appears 507's are just a shade LESS expensive, which was making things even more confusing, i.e., if it had the better Faroudja chip, then why were they less expensive?

It would help if Samsung would update their darn website!

-Holly

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure even the most careful research would suggest that the XX65 models do not have DNIe or the FLI 2300 chip. However, the XX65 models do indeed have the same internals as all the other HLN models. Across the board, the only differences among the HLN models are cosmetic. I got this straight from Steve Panosian, the Sr. Marketing Manager at Samsung.

Hate to burst your bubble but, the differences aren't only cosmetic. Notice the big price difference between the two models? That should clue you in that it is more than just cosmetic.

·
Registered
856 Posts
But what bothers me the most is, why Samsung is making so many model changes and differences for vendors. Why do they insist in confusing the heck out of the consumer?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Resist
But what bothers me the most is, why Samsung is making so many model changes and differences for vendors. Why do they insist in confusing the heck out of the consumer?
My bet it's a marketing ploy- upscale and downscale, like Honda vs. Acura, Infinity vs. Nissan, Lexus vs. Toyota.

·
Registered
413 Posts
HLN4365 and HLN437 - 3,699

HLN5065 and HLN507 - 4,499

HLN617 - 5,499

HLN467 - 3,999

HLN567 - 4,999

Resist, please point out this huge price difference you speak of. To me it looks like the only price difference is due to size. And I wasn't making it up when I said I got my info straight from the Sr. Marketing Mgr. of Samsung.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just received a HLN4365W (from TVAuthority (very knowledgable btw and a good price. Thanks guys.). A couple of points:

1) The HLN4365W has 3:2 Pulldown. It is not labelled "Farjouda", but when you check the service menu it references the FLI2300 (the "Farjouda" chip). The older HLM4365W did not have 3:2 pulldown.

2) The HLN4365W also has DNIe.

3) The manual included with the set covers: HLN4365W/HLN5065W/HLN437W/HLN507W/HLN617W. There is no mention of any feature differences amongst the models. The only referenced differences are in location of controls and side inputs).

4) I'm not aware of any extra features that the HLN437W has that are not in the HLN4365W.

5) I don't think the discrete codes issue has been addressed on this particular set (manufactured in December, 2002).

If users are interested, I can do my best to answer questions about the set. I just got it so I haven't explored much.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
HLN4365 and HLN437 - 3,699

HLN5065 and HLN507 - 4,499

HLN617 - 5,499

HLN467 - 3,999

HLN567 - 4,999

You do realize these numbers are inflated? The 617 can be had for $4500 from reliable sources. Tweeters online has it for $5100. So $5499 is way off.

The HLN5065 is $3999 at BB.

So I can get a 617 for around $600 more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
siyang, one missing feature is the double screen. the 4digit number models don't have double window pip and dcdi.

enjoy your great tv......

I'm waiting for 567..........

·
Registered
84 Posts
resist, I think you saw the HLM-617 , not the 'HLN' .

3 digit HLN's are not out in the market yet, only 4 digit number' HLN' models are.

vermonster, 4 digit HLN models are $200 less than 3 digit HLN models.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just checked. It does actually support side by side PIP. You're correct that the DCDi logo does not appear on the bezel of the TV; however, based on the fact that the FLI2300 chip is in the set, it is my understanding that the same technology is being used for 3:2 pulldown (even though it is not "branded").

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was at the BB, last sunday and it didn't support double window pip.

I should go and check again. (if it does, only the difference is cosmetic upgrade and no reason to pay more to get 3 digit HLN's)

·
Registered
413 Posts
"You do realize these numbers are inflated? The 617 can be had for $4500 from reliable sources. Tweeters online has it for $5100. So $5499 is way off."

Resist,

I'm not sure what your point is here. Just to keep us on topic, you said:

"Notice the big price difference between the two models? That should clue you in that it is more than just cosmetic."

I don't care what the online prices are, I was just trying to let you know that there was no price difference and that the differences are in fact just cosmetic. Argue the point if you want, but you'd be arguing against Samsung, not me. I'm just reporting what I heard from the horse's mouth.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Resist
You do realize these numbers are inflated? The 617 can be had for $4500 from reliable sources. Tweeters online has it for $5100. So $5499 is way off.

The HLN5065 is $3999 at BB.

So I can get a 617 for around $600 more.
The numbers you characterize as inflated are the expected manufacturers suggested retail prices.

Then there are street prices and for those with a sense of adventure, Internet prices. Even lower than Internet prices are Internet prices from vendors who never seem to get the item in stock after it has been ordered.

Samsung's representatives claim that all HLN and some later HLM sets have the same internals. As far as I know, everyone who has examined the SM of these sets has found Samsung representatives to be providing good information.

One of our best contacts with Samsung reported here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=227068

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
I spent about 30 minutes this morning on the phone with my Samsung POC getting UPDATED information about their HLN Series of sets. Here are the details:

HLN4365, 5065: Branded as Non-Tantus Series

Same bezel as today (Silver)

DNIe replaces 82860 (Video Enhancement)

3:2 Pulldown

Non-specific Genesis family of video processing solutions for de-interlacing and scaling

Video Input Labeling

Digital Noise Reduction Circuit

Available at the end of April 2003

Available at Sears, Best Buy, etc.

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee
"Non-specific Genesis family of video processing solutions for de-interlacing and scaling "

Is this info wrong? Did Samsung ditch the non-specific Genesis processor and just through the Farjouda in there?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.