AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just got a 50" samsung plasma. I used to have a Sammy DLP. I am trying to set up my cable remote, who knew it would be this hard! I have WOW cable, midwest cable company, Im in Michigan. So here is the deal, I can't get the tv and both the cable box off or on at the same time. The customer service for WOW gave me the code and it shuts off the cable and the tv goes blank, but the read light is not on, it seems like its shut off on stand by. The wow guy said this is how plasmas work, well I called Samsung, and they were no help and said it should have the red dot on the tv when powered off. Anyone have any tips on what to do, I don't want to be using 5 remotes ha!! Thanks guys!!! Sorry for the newb question!

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
What's the make/model of the remote?

Do you have the manual for the remote?

Most remotes have more than one pre-programmed "code" for a device.

Most remotes will "auto search" if the provided codes don't work properly.

OTOH... if the TV goes into "standby", the remote is working.

If the TV and STB power off and/or on... (whether standby or not), is there really an issue?

Refer to manuals for more info.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I am able to turn the cable box off, and the tv goes off, but I think its a sleep mode of some sort, still need to read more on it. Because when I turn the tv off with the Samsung remote, it has a red dot shine on the lower right side and when I turn it on after that it has that little music. I am going to look for the manual for the remote, but its so damn old I may go to a universal remote.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts