AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BB has a nice deal on this unit, $49 after rebate ($99 out the door, I have a 12% coupon as well)

I'm just been looking for something portable, that I can take between vehicles and bring into Work and the Home to listen too at times.

Does anyone have any expereice with this unit?

And I read somewhere that XM has an unadvertised deal...something like $66 year rate when you call and ask? Anyone verify this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
not sure about the unadvertised deal, but i've had my nexxus since christmas, and i like the portability. goes from car to home to office. also acts as a light mp3 player for recorded xm and your own music. my only complaint, no portable sat radio service, like the inno by pioneer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had one since just before xmas as well... Which kit (home or car) does that come with? I got mine from woot for cheap, like $39 or something, with a free month and free activation, and the home kit. I'm using it mostly in my vehicle now, so bought a car kit.

I have a few complaints, the biggest being that (as far as I can tell) it has to have external power to receive XM. It can't do it off of the battery. The navigation is a little clunky, not bad, but I'd like number buttons to direct tune. Overall I'm very happy with it, though. Bought a couple, gave them out as xmas gifts and kept the one for myself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I guess i am way behind on this one, we just ordered one for $19 from XM on a deal, anyway.

With the home kit, is the actual unit required to be plugged in if the minituner card is installed in the Nexus/minituner cradle and the receiver (Yamaha RXV-659) is XM capable or should i just go spend the $30 and get the minituner cradle?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I believe the Nexus is required for the home kit. the minituner cradle is the replacement for the old "connect and play", and will allow your receiver to tune XM while the nexus is still in your car or backpack.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSteeler /forum/post/0

but I envy some of XM's equipment.

IMO, Mel Karmazin agrees with you. I think that's why he has been pushing for a merger since shortly after he joined Sirius.

I only wish that they would put some of that recording technology into their automotive OEM equipment. I wouldn't think that allowing for timed recording, even when the car is turned off, would require enough of a draw from the car's battery to cause a problem.

Unfortunately, since the inception of the "XM2go" products, it's been apparent that the thought process behind these products is to allow for recording of music, so that playback is possible in places with no satellite reception. They didn't consider that it would be useful for talk programming.

It would be really nice if a car unit could be used to time-shift morning programming so that someone doesn't have to get up at 6am in order to listen to a morning show from the beginning.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Nexxus? Why bother? I just bought a brand new (not refurb) Samsung Helix from an amazon vendor for $98!
The Nexus can be had for $50 then you get a $50 mail in rebate making the cost $0.00, even if I don't like it, it is worth checking out and holding me over until some of the new cooler products come later this year.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick /forum/post/0

It would be really nice if a car unit could be used to time-shift morning programming so that someone doesn't have to get up at 6am in order to listen to a morning show from the beginning.

It's not an integrated unit, but I do this every morning with my SkyFi3. I have a standing 5.5 hour recording set up to catch the O&A show. I can definitely see this functionality start to show up in OEM units in a few years, since they've started adding HDDs for MP3s already...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.