AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks for any advice.

I have a Sammy 5064 with a DISH HD and a soundbar setup.

Right now I have HDMI from SAT to TV and Toslink from SAT to soundbar.

Everything is fine except some channels are much louder than others for some reason and it has become annoying...

So my option was to run the Toslink from the Sammy to the soundbar which is where I found out in the manual that Samsung Toslink only sends stereo when HDMI is being used?

Is this correct??

The reason I want to run it this way is to take advantage of the sound control the sammy provides when channel surfing...

It seems as though my best option now is to go component from the SAT to TV then Toslink from TV to soundbar...

Any advice on this is appreciated...The soundbar only has RCA and Digital in for the sound...

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/14189753

So my option was to run the Toslink from the Sammy to the soundbar which is where I found out in the manual that Samsung Toslink only sends stereo when HDMI is being used?

Is this correct??

Unfortunately this is correct. HDMI w/HDCP will disable the optical digital audio out connection from TV to AVR.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/14189753

Hi and thanks for any advice.

I have a Sammy 5064 with a DISH HD and a soundbar setup.

Right now I have HDMI from SAT to TV and Toslink from SAT to soundbar.

Everything is fine except some channels are much louder than others for some reason and it has become annoying...

Is this correct??

The reason I want to run it this way is to take advantage of the sound control the sammy provides when channel surfing...

It seems as though my best option now is to go component from the SAT to TV then Toslink from TV to soundbar...

Any advice on this is appreciated...The soundbar only has RCA and Digital in for the sound...

Thanks.

That's right, all TVs (that I'm aware of) only send stereo out of the optical port when fed an HDMI signal. I believe that passing through the 5.1 signal is forbidden by HDCP.

Have you tried running HDMI to the TV and optical directly from the sat receiver to the sound bar? Most devices allow both HDMI and optical to be active at the same time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys ...

Chris...To answer your ?, I am running HDMI froim SAT to TV then Optical from the SAT to the sound bar but the changes in volume when surfing channels is really dramatic (Example: going from a HD 5.1 signal to a SD stereo signal)

This is why I wanted to use the optical from the TV as Samsung has a volume control option which keeps volumes the same when changing channels..

SO my question is...

If I run components from SAT to the TV will the Optical Audio from the TV now send the correct/high quality Dolby signals when available?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/14189888

Thanks guys ...

Chris...To answer your ?, I am running HDMI froim SAT to TV then Optical from the SAT to the sound bar but the changes in volume when surfing channels is really dramatic (Example: going from a HD 5.1 signal to a SD stereo signal)

This is why I wanted to use the optical from the TV as Samsung has a volume control option which keeps volumes the same when changing channels..

SO my question is...

If I run components from SAT to the TV will the Optical Audio from the TV now send the correct/high quality Dolby signals when available?

Component doesn't carry audio signals so you'd have to run optical straight from the sat receiver to the soundbar (as you're already doing).

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/14189888

No. The only way you're TV's optical audio digital out interface will pass DD is with unencrypted OTA broadcasts and/or if your SAT provider will pass unencrypted digital audio.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to bother again but....

Is the drastic change in volume using the Optical Audio from the SATto my surround sound just something I am going to have to live with for now?

Is there any solutions I am missing??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/14191246

Sorry to bother again but....

Is the drastic change in volume using the Optical Audio from the SATto my surround sound just something I am going to have to live with for now?

Is there any solutions I am missing??

Thanks

Dig around the satelite receiver's audio menus. It may have its own audio leveling feature.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/14191529

Dig around the satelite receiver's audio menus. It may have its own audio leveling feature.

Correct, if it's there try the "narrow" versus the "wide" audio out option.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was going to run the Optical out from my HDTV to my Receiver also because of lack of enough Optical Ports on my Receiver, but then Notice on my Receiver showing up as ProCompII Instead of Dolby Digital THX Cinema. So I had to go back to how I had it. I may end up getting a HDMI switcher with the Optical Ports so I have more that way, but for now I'm ok. Dam I hate HDCP. What a load of BS. It makes ZERO since to restrict that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts