Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this web page:

http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainmen..._article_1.asp

Samsung is not the only manufacturer who will be introducing new DLP RPTVs.

They also menitioned Zenith, which I didn't know about. Here's the list of "confirmed" manufacturers:

HD1

-------------

Hitachi

Mitsubishi

Panasonic

HD2

-----------------

Samsung

Vestel

Zenith

Optoma

Acording to the web page these manufacturers are looking at it:

Loewe

LG Electonics

-phil

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
That's a sexy ad page they have there. I'm having an easy time imagining a 50" DLP in my house. :)

I'm not sure if I can hold out long enough to benefit from the competition, but it sounds like we're going to have plenty of it!

I'd really like to find out more about these sets. I believe TPV mentioned at least some of these sets in there CES 2002 coverage.

Maybe this will encourage all of the vendors to get their brochures up on the web.

Ken

·
Registered
399 Posts
I checked the Zenith website and we may have to wait for their 52" DLP, it said 2003.

DLP™ Rear-Projection HDTV. Zenith is previewing its first DLP™ rear-projection HDTV monitor at CES 2002. This high-brightness, high-contrast 52-inch widescreen HDTV monitor, slated for 2003 introduction, delivers an impressive 700:1 contrast ratio and a brightness rating of 450 cd/m2. The Zenith 52W DLP™ rear-projector is designed to deliver stunning, giant-screen high-definition images in a compact package. This advanced DLP™ rear-projection display, developed with Texas Instruments and Zenith’s parent company, LG Electronics, is well suited for business, educational and commercial applications. It complements Zenith’s broad family of digital display products, including plasma display panels, LCD and CRT direct-view HDTVs, and CRT and LCD projection units.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This all equals some bad news. The Hitachi, being based on the older DMD, is not that exciting. As good as that technology can look, it's destroyed once you see dark scenes.

Loewe was supposed to be a committed builder, and they appear not to be, according to the above. With the Zenith shipping in 2003, the only bets for the U.S. are Samsung, Vestel and Optoma. I've never heard of the third, and Vestel is a Turkish co. with no U.S. presence at all. Not that bullish.

That leads Samsung, the kings of TV vaporware, as the sole real, quasi-mass-market hope for 2002. I hope they ship something this summer, as planned, but I am not so optimisitc.

Mark

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Working models of the Samsung have been seen as recently as in the last month. They had one at the TI 1st quarter analyst meeting. I've got a feeling that after the lost revenue and face of the FLCD sets, I would imaging that Samsung is very motivated to make sure the DLP sets don't fall flat.

-phil

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I see on the DLP webpage a breakdown of available DMD chips and they are showing the HD2/Mustang (?) 16:9 1280 x 720 chip having a 12 degree mirror tilt as opposed to the HD1 with 10 degree . Does anyone know which chips are in the Samsung ?

Scott..................:confused:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Phil:

Quote:
.......to make sure the DLP sets don't fall flat.
Very punny. Hee hee hee. Had to have been an accident.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"I would imaging that Samsung is very motivated to make sure the DLP sets don't fall flat."

I really think you ought to speak to some reps at Samsung Electronics. This division is clueless. The engineers mock up countless products and ship them to marketing, which appears to test market demand for them while the engineers then -- and only then -- determine if they can build the product at a profit.

That's what happened with the fLCD. It's what has happened with their 63" plasma. It's what is happening with their DVR/DVD player.

They do this crap all the time. With no other manufacturer apparently getting ready to bring tabletop DLPs to market, it will be easy for Samsung to delay/cancel these products. I am not saying they are going to do so, but it wouldn't stun me one iota. The sudden appearance of multiple models at each size is not good news, it's more chaos.

Mark

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Samsung is one of 4-9 manufacturers bringing DLRP to market. (according to Phil's info here)

Maybe it's a combo of an extra good mockup and a super marketing team, but it appears that Samsung is the closest. This represents a window of opportunity for Samsung to operate with the best margins - at least while they are alone. They will get to supply the pent up demand of early adapters at a premium.

The longer they are the only DLRP in town the more $$$ for them.

Their financial motivation is to get this out ASAP.

Another factor in our/Samsung's favor is that the excellent excellent engineers at TI are pretty much guaranteeing success. Samsung didn't get this help with the fLCD's.

Ken

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rogo,

Optoma has alread announced two HD2 based RPTVs which they will be introducing at Infocomm the middle of next month. Samsung isn't the only game in town.

-phil

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There are seven manufacturers committed according to TI. We can safely assume that people who TI lists as "evaluating" the technology are not going to be shipping it anytime soon -- certainly not in 2002.

I grouped them above, I thought, but I'll try again.

Panasonic/Mitsu -- Already shipping with the HD1. Blacks suck. Cannot be improved with an HD-1 based system in my opinion.

Hitachi -- Adding to the chorus above. A yawner.

Zenith -- Has postponed product until 2003, according to Zenith.

Vestel -- No U.S. presence. Not likely to make a meaningful dent into the U.S. market anytime soon.

Optoma -- No U.S. presence (? -- not sure). I can bet dollars to donuts that will not have 1 model in solid distribution next month, let alone two.

Samsung -- Maybe, maybe, maybe. Very good U.S. distribution (including Best Buy). May have products coming out soon. The only HD2 game in town that is likely to do anything meaningful in the marketplace anytime soon.

Phil: You buying an Optoma? I've honestly never ever heard of the company.

Mark

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Optoma is a big player in the business projector business and one of the few OEMs of DLP light paths. If you've seen many DLP projectors, odds are that you've seen an optoma, you just didn't know it.

-phil

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Phil... Thanks, I have learned something today. I forget what the popular brand is around here, but it's not Optoma. And I admit I am not up on the projector market.

I am bullish on a display made my someone like Optoma, giventhat they have DLP experience. I am not, however, bullish on this display making any waves in the broader market. It will have zero retail presence in all likelihood. That's a shame.

Mark

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mark:

Quote:
It's what is happening with their DVR/DVD player
What is this? A DVD+RW? I didn't know samsung was in that market.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It's a brain-dead version of Tivo (a DVR, not what Tivo calls a PVR) combined with the DVD player. Like many a Samsung "product", it doesn't entirely exist in reality.

Mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
I called and emailed LG for UK/Europe roll out and got a flat, "DLP you say, what's that again?" from phone CS and email reply with "...no plans at this time known". I really hate these sodding magazine and online press releases with all this "We're proposing...and intend..." stuff turning out to be just that - paving way to hell. Your future today, not.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Encaser: Worse is Loewe, who as of January was apparently willing to be used by TI as a poster-child for these new sets but now is only evaluating the technology, according to TI. The lack of Toshiba, Sony, Thomson and JVC on the list, and the lukewarm enthusiasm from Matsushita suggests an opportunity for these other guys, but also a challenge. It is easier to sell something new when it is validated by bigger players, even if those guys will provide competition.

I will note that Thomson, Toshiba and JVC have all added lukewarm support for D-ILA/LCoS, but alas there are no products shipping.

Mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hear you there rogo. The UK is worse still in respects most tech stuff plays in US soil first (and last sometimes) before heading this way only to be charged more for a watered down version of it.

It would appear a large problem facing the 'new' developments is a keener and to some extent more discerning cohort research consumer who talk. Most everyone knows that kit has been developed and/or could be released but the dribs and drabs keep on coming, with those that have actually researched - than just ad target in the knows - asking either what is all this or why isn't this yet? For example, we know recordable dvd can work in various flavours with various sound outs, but are there definitive machines, no. Are there varying formats with visual and aural sound limitations and connections that needn't be, yes. Most people are only aware of Blue ray laser cause some of the big boys paniced and grouped up at the dreaded JVC HD D-VHS 'threat' to DVD so they said, "But wait, there's more...". Only to then later admit they weren't really 'ready' to spill out blue ray just yet! These really are weirdly annoying times with some dvd mags down-talking the virtues of blue ray to hold on to what is an 'inferior' product. Let's face it, 30 gigs capacity for data or 2 hours of serious HD recording, who'd want that?!

I'm not surprised that Panasonic aren't going for DLP in a full salute as they are still trying to turn a profit on plasma (at least in Europe) and pumping serious effort into this. And an affordable and workable DLP could a real thorne in plasma's side. One thing that has me thinking is whether a part in DLPs development downfall though is breaking the rainbow effect and the consequent eye strain/headache factor from the reconstruction necessary by the viewer. It would be interesting to know if any studies have been conducted on this and if there is a ball park figure for who may be ill-effected. I may be X-Files'ing this but if flashing lights can cause epileptic fits, could DLP?

At the end of the day, many techno products shipping or at least trying to, do rely on a kinda paradimatic breakout by one manufacturer saying I'm gonna do this and sod the rest of you who are still supporting a 'dying/dead' field. Examples being Philips with the DVD+RW and now maybe Samsung with their DLP...

I would mention Capitalism's greed but apathy has set in, baby I'm bored...

(this message was brought to you by Caffeine Inc.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.