Get deep into your games with the ultimate immersive gaming monitor. The 49" Samsung Odyssey G9 QLED Ultra-Wide, fully G-SYNC & Freesync-compatible gaming monitor is a noteworthy showcase of Samsung's display technology. The ultra-wide viewpoint provides a tactical advantage while the brilliant QLED picture quality makes you feel like you're in the game.

The 49" Odyssey G9's aspect ratio is 32:9, which is like having two 27" 16:9 displays side-by-side. The 1000R curvature ensures it optimally wraps around you for full immersion. A blazing-fast 240 Hz maximum refresh rate plus NVIDIA G-SYNC guarantee this ultra-wide monitor provides viewers a lifelike perspective when playing video games. With a native resolution of 5120x1440 (dual QHD), this monitor also doubles as a phenomenal productivity tool when working with multiple windows in a PC desktop environment.

The huge desktop area provided by the Odyssey G9 lets you open multiple windows at once and view them all

As a Samsung QLED display, the Odyssey G9 offers brilliant color and 1000-nit HDR highlights. This monitor covers 95% of DCI-P3 space used in commercial cinema (and 125% of sRGB) with the help of quantum dots. Static contrast is rated at 2500:1 and gets a boost from edgelit local dimming.

Aesthetically, the Odyssey G9 is a stunner. It looks like it belongs on a starship and the Infinity Core Lighting (customizable LED accent lighting) adds to the sci-fi effect.

Even when viewed from the rear the design of the G9 is striking. Note the neat cable management.

Features and Specifications

Check out Samsung's website for the full specs on this monitor.

Key Features
  • Samsung QLED display
  • 5120 x 1440 resolution
  • 240 Hz refresh rate
  • 108.97 PPI pixel density
  • Fully G-SYNC and Freesync compatible
  • 1000R curved screen
  • 125% sRGB gamut
  • Factory calibrated
  • 1000-nit HDR highlights
  • 300-nit (minimum) full-screen brightness (420-nit typical)
  • 32:9 aspect ratio
  • 1ms "grey to grey" response
  • HDMI 2.0
  • DisplayPort 1.4
  • Color modes: High-Brightness/Custom/FPS/RTS/RPG/sRGB/AOS/Cinema/Dynamic contrast
  • Picture-in-Picture and Picture-by-Picture modes
  • 2X USB 3 ports
  • 1 HDMI port
  • 2 DisplayPort ports
  • Headphone jack
Unpacking and Setup

Samsung pays a lot of attention to the design of its products and that comes through in the Odyssey G9. Assembly takes just a minute or two and involves zero loose screws. The stand provides for adjustment and optimal placement of this huge screen, with tilt, rotation and height adjustment (120mm range). Integrated cable management (in the stem of the base) keeps everything looking neat, even if you have multiple sources attached to this monitor.

The first thing you notice after turning on the Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor is a crisp, highly accurate picture that "pops" off the screen. The factory calibration/tuning pays off here, a lot of monitors don't look this good even after calibration.

The key to getting the best experience with the Odyssey G9 is proper placement and seating position. You'll want to be relatively close, so the screen fills your field of view and the curve is wrapping around your head. That happens to be fairly close to the monitor, but thanks to its high resolution and sharp graphics, you can easily read small text on this monitor.

Dual QHD resolution is 7.37 million pixels, as compared to 8.29 million for 4K. That means a PC graphics card needs to be quite powerful to get the most out of this monitor. I drove it with a GTX 1660 Ti. which is a midrange card that offers good bang-for-the-buck but is not able to "max out" this display. With careful tweaking of game settings and using G-SYNC it's possible to enjoy smooth, high frame rate, high-resolution PC gaming.

Hands-On

I find ultra-wide monitors very appealing, they immerse you when you are gaming and when you are working, they provide a seamless ultra-wide desktop that's a more efficient use of space than two discrete monitors placed side-by-side. The flexibility offered by an ultra-wide desktop is a legitimate plus for anyone who works with multiple windows.

But it's when you are gaming that this monitor really struts its stuff. The ultra-wide perspective lets you literally see more than someone with squarer display. This peripheral vision is handy for spotting enemies, or competing drivers, or whatever it is that someone with a 16:9 monitor cannot see. Moreover, for car racing as well as first-person games, the perspective offered by the monitor—when you are seated in the optimal viewing position—closely matches what your eyes can see, creating a wrap-around rendition of the game world that's just a step away from "VR without the glasses" in terms of immersion.

These days, if I'm going to spend time in a game, it's going to be Grand Theft Auto Online. It's a perfect example of how the Odyssey G9 expends your visual horizons, traveling through Los Santos in first person view is at once cinematic and realistic, adding to the sense of it being a world inhabited by characters and not just pixels. And crucially, when using the Odyssey G9, I'm able to play the game at a high level and win many car races against skilled opponents, something I find much more difficult to do on displays that have too much latency.

See more of the game world your character inhabits with the ultra-wide perspective of the 32:9 Samsung Odyssey G9 QLED  monitor
I booted Assassin's Creed Odyssey to check out what this monitor looks like when graphics quality is the priority. While in Explorer mode (which does not involve any action gameplay) I maxed out all the graphics settings, resulting in relatively low frame rate but an unbelievably detailed rendering of the game world. One of these days I'll build a gaming rig that can drive the Odyssey G9 to its outer performance limits, but that's quite an undertaking given its capabilities.

I wrapped up my PC gaming hands-on with some quality time spent in Forza Horizon (2018), a benchmark quality graphics experience in a dynamic, visually spectacular world that's also fun driving simulation and a fun way to race against strangers online. It has the HDR "pop" that's still missing from GTA Online and the result is some scenes look downright photo-realistic. Like Assassin's Creed, it made me wish I could crank the graphics settings to max and have super high frame rates at the same time and once again it's my PC that's the limiting factor, the Odyssey G9 is ready to go when I am.

In addition to gaming, I use a PC for photo and video editing plus music making. The Odyssey G9 proves to be a great choice for these tasks. For one, the curve lets you appreciate the full contrast offered by the QLED panel, from edge to edge. But more importantly, it give you tons of room to work with "standard" 16:9 images and video while providing tons of extra space for the program interface. And if you prefer the ergonomics of split screens, you can use Picture-by-Picture mode to emulate a dual-monitor setup where windows snap into the margins, etc.

For music production the extra-wide 32:9 display is fantastic for stretching out the timeline so an entire song is shown on screen at once. And for work, I can line up three or even four windows side-by-side and do some serious writing and spreadsheet work thanks to all the extra desktop workspace. The key point here is the Odyssey G9 is adaptable to more than just gaming and is a better form factor for use with a PC than a 4K 16:9 ratio TV.

Pros & Cons

Pros

Ultra immersive 32:9 aspect ratio
1000R curve complements the ultra-wide view
Brilliant colors from QLED display
Excellent anti-reflective qualities
Essentially non-existent input lag
FreeSync and G-SYNC compatibility
Highly adjustable stand
Easy assembly
HDMI and DisplayPort connections
Can also be used for productivity
Accurate colors from factory tuning
QLED means screen burn-in worries

Cons

Large (takes up a whole desk)
Pricey (costs as much as a premium TV)
Specialized design (not for use as a TV, or gaming consoles)
Edgelit LCD (limited local dimming capability)
Some people do not like the curved screen

Top Choice for Gamers

Samsung's focus on gaming the use of QLED technology in the Odyssey G9 pays big dividends in terms of performance and ergonomics. It is perhaps the finest single monitor I have had the pleasure to use, whether for games or for work. Granted, I said the same thing about its predecessor the CRG9, but that just shows how Samsung has managed to up its game with the addition of 240 Hz support, G-SYNC and the 1000R curve.

The easy assembly, saturated, accurate, vibrant color, factory calibration, high resolution with G-SYNCH and FreeSync, 240 Hz, and a stand that lets you position the monitor to suit your needs make the 49" Odyssey G9 worth getting. It's a Top Choice gaming monitor for 2020.

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here .