AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this P2770HD TV at Costco for around $300. I'm looking for a good smaller TV. This seems to be a television/monitor hybrid but I would only need it as a TV. It seems to have come out in 2009.

The newer Samsung UN26D4003 LED HDTV is also an option. It's $50 more available at Best Buy and PC Richard & Son. It is not a monitor, and came out in 2011.

I don't care about price, the 1" size difference, or the fact that one is LED and one is just LCD. Which is the better TV? Are there drawbacks to using a tv/monitor hybrid?

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
I believe, you made the right choice.....nothing like full 1080P (1920 x 1080 native resolution).

These new thin units have pretty small speakers.

The good news is that Samsung provides a pretty good solution.

Open menu and go to sound modes and select standard.

There, you'll find a sound effects section that, among other options, has a 5 band equalizer, that will make the small speakers really sing.

BTW......I also have a 46" Samsung connected to a very nice 5.1 home theater system and yet, 80% of the time, I use the internal speakers and I don't bother turning on the external audio system.

Another possibility is that there are some pretty good 2.1 PC speaker systems (e.g. small left/right speakers & sub woofer). I found a Altec Lansing system (VS2621) on sale for $19.95 (MSRP around $59) on sale at Staples.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/20818363

I believe, you made the right choice.....nothing like full 1080P (1920 x 1080 native resolution).

These new thin units have pretty small speakers.

The good news is that Samsung provides a pretty good solution.

Open menu and go to sound modes and select standard.

There, you'll find a sound effects section that, among other options, has a 5 band equalizer, that will make the small speakers really sing.

BTW......I also have a 46" Samsung connected to a very nice 5.1 home theater system and yet, 80% of the time, I use the internal speakers and I don't bother turning on the external audio system.

Another possibility is that there are some pretty good 2.1 PC speaker systems (e.g. small left/right speakers & sub woofer). I found a Altec Lansing system (VS2621) on sale for $19.95 (MSRP around $59) on sale at Staples.

Thanks using the equalizer really did help remove some of the tin sound. Odd that they didn't have better default settings! Even with the 1080p on this unit though, it doesn't look as good as I thought. I'm going to buy the Samsung TV and compare them, and bring one back. I think it's the only way to be sure!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados /forum/post/20822174

Thanks using the equalizer really did help remove some of the tin sound. Odd that they didn't have better default settings! Even with the 1080p on this unit though, it doesn't look as good as I thought. I'm going to buy the Samsung TV and compare them, and bring one back. I think it's the only way to be sure!

That's what happens when you try to save a buck or two. Too bad we can't bring brand new cars home, drive them for a few days, and then take them back if we don't like them.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados /forum/post/20822174

I always found that the Samsung monitor/HDTV combos to have excellent image quality.

If what you're seeing as a HDTV is not the best, it could well be the quality of your signal source.

In monitor mode, make the computer graphic's setting is set to 1920x1080. Additionally, if your connection is HDMI, some folks claim renaming (i.e. editing) that port from HDMI/DVI to PC.

The UN26D4003 is a 720P HDTV (1366 x 768 native resolution) which I found not to be as good when used as a monitor (e.g. not as sharp, less vertical screen fill etc.). It's stand does not tilt as well.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20823188

That's what happens when you try to save a buck or two. Too bad we can't bring brand new cars home, drive them for a few days, and then take them back if we don't like them.

I believe with the recent auto difficulties, some dealers (brand? models?) are offering a cold feet escape clause, but am sure there are lots of fine prints, re-stocking fees etc.

Once I wanted a Miata, there was an outfit in town that rented sports cars, I took one out. At the end of the day, I was sweating, the clutch was hard, it was also waaaay into the firewall so I had to move my seat extra forward like am kissing the windshield and not lay back as I used to. Fun car? wasn't for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.