AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if Samsung caught up with the Chroma bug on this player yet. Compusa has it for 200 and I have the model below this and love it, aside from the fact that it has the chroma error...

Here's the CompUsa link
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=290422

Any impression on it would be welcome too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Samsung DVD P721 uses LSI Logic's new Ziva5 chip which does not have the chroma bug. It uses a Sage deinterlacer chip, so the progressive output quality should be quite good as well.

Samsung used their own navigator software on this player, so its playback capabilities and reliability should be similar to previous Samsung models (though the video quality and menu graphics should be a noticable step up).

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information, that's great news! So all in all, this is quite similar to the RP-56! Where did you get your information from?

I was thinking of holding out for the new Panasonic models, but this one has come out of nowhere as one of my top choices! Has anyone had some hands on with this player?

Thanks again Ian!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I work on the Ziva5 team at LSI Logic.

The player is good as far as the feature set for that price goes. Compared to, say, Sony players, Samsung players typically have a few more bugs on weird obscure DVDs, and a bit less mechanical reliability.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Sorry Ian, I just picked up the Samsung P-721M. There is no Faroudja chip inside. I took it apart and did find the Ziva5. From there it goes to what looks like a 2-layer board with a bunch of through hole parts and then out. Knowing that the RP56 has it hidden, I threw in some test discs. It appears to be using the Ziva5 480p output. The vertical filter is pretty obvious when it kicks in as the image is very, very soft. It drops to video mode on chapter breaks like it is reading the flags, which confirms no Faroudja inside. not to mention no DCDi on flag.

The chroma bug is NOT 100% gone. The chroma upsampling on the Toy Story menu is incorrect and identical to the Ziva3. The actual film itself looks better than the ziva 3, but I need to do more testing. Does a box maker have control of how the upsampling is done or is that kept away from them? i.e. could this be an implementation problem.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...story-menu.jpg

The photo above has MEI MPEG decoder on left and Ziva3 on the right. The ziva5 looks identical.

The player is very slow at changing chapters and navigating DVD menus. Its layer change is fast, not Denon fast, but Meridian fast. It is also quick at doing seamless and non-seamless branching.

The IR receiver has poor range.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your research Stacy, I'm glad that you were able to test it out first. The results are extremely dissapointing though, especially since the p701 (the model I have) does have the Sage/Faroudja chip which is necessary for me since over 50% of the content I watch on my television is anime (which DCDi likes :0 ).

I guess it's back to one of the new panasonics though, thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I did some further testing last night. (it was a long night) Once the movie began to play, the upsampling looked ok. (I need to confirm tonight with some special testing) So my preliminary results are that the the upsampling is broken on some menus and special test discs but ok during film content.

I need to look at a larger sample of material.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised they didn't go with the Sage. Last news a few months ago was that they were going to (although actually this is good news for LSI, Samsung was not happy about the prospect of putting in an expensive progressive chip). The Chroma thing is a bug, I'm surprised nobody caught that. Hopefully we will be able to fix that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, the UI uses the Ziva5 hardware. One of the biggest selling points of Ziva5 relative to the alternatives (including Domino) is its Display List Processor, it allows a large number of "picture objects" which can be moved around and so forth. Most DVD players do not have hardware support for moving pictures, so their menus look pretty static. Ziva5 can do animations, scrolling menus, and that sort of thing.

Samsung's UI looks OK, but consider it a first generation attempt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We are unable to reproduce a Toy Story menu problem on the Samsung players we have here at LSI. Stacey, where did you get your player so fast? Are you sure it has the production firmware?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Charles, we used a digital camera for the screen shot above. This is on a front projector. When you try to use a CRT tube, you get moire from the shadow mask. Perhaps a higher megapixel camera will not have that problem. The same holds true for most tubes. The problem with the FP is you need a dark room and you don't want the flash to go off. :) And of course the lenticular in the RP has vertical lines in it.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Another option is to use a PC capture card like WinTV. You then can use dScaler to capture the image. It helps to have a DVD player that does not output macrovision as it has issues with dScaler. Of course they may have fixed that by now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okay we have identified the chroma issue in the Samsung 721 and are working to resolve it. The sort-of-good news is that it should only affect 30FPS progressive material (in other words, computer animations).

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Ian, how's the Ziva5 do with the red flicker problem?

(I'm lazy and don't have the TS disc here otherwise I'd go try one of the many Samsung DVD-P721s we have here. Although, I'm not sure they have the production FW)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Stacey, So the Toshiba SD-5109 and SD-P1000 had a Faroudja deinterlacer? That's news to me. They both had the red flicker, bad...

Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
The red flicker is a deinterlacing problem that only Faroudja has.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.