AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday Discovery aired a show "Into the Lions Den" or something like that. I noticed everything was a little tall & skinny, so I switched my Samsung TSL2795HF,a 4x3 27" direct view HDTV, to it's "Wide" screen aspect ratio setting. It wasn't HD, but is was now compressed to the correct aspect ratio & widescreen - really cool. I have just recently gotten Direct TV & wondered if anyone else noticed Discovery Channel's Panavision shows, if yes, which ones? Is there a listing anywhere of what specials or shows are filmed & broadcast in Panavision. The only other show I've seen is my copy of "Die Hard" on VHS tape. On my TV I almost like it better this way than on DVD thru my progressive DVD player. It's slightly softer, but none of the MPEG compression anomalies are there, so it just looks really good. The Samsung converts 480i to 480P, which really improves good source material. I like my Samsung way better than the Sony direct view HDTV's I've seen because the scan lines seem way less visible on the Samsung. Any comments on Panavision or other peoples experiences with Samsungs Direct View TVs would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by mikeg (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup...I own the 32" version of the Samsung. Just got it 3 days ago. I am totally pleased with it so far and I don't even have a Progressive Scan DVD. I didn't know about that Discovery thing..I'll check into that. I use TiVo also with my HDTV but I don't have an HDTV converter box yet so still watch NTSC broadcasts. But this TV is defenitely well made, the sound system is particularly impressive. I don't even need a Reciever with this Monitor.

------------------

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - - Albert Einstein

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like to get you guys opinion on the Samsungs, I noticed one at sears next to an analog Sony Wega and the analog was better both were showing the same dvd....How do you two like the sets? I thinking that Sears just did not have the set adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wilkemp:
I like to get you guys opinion on the Samsungs, I noticed one at sears next to an analog Sony Wega and the analog was better both were showing the same dvd....How do you two like the sets? I thinking that Sears just did not have the set adjusted correctly.
I got my TV from Sears and noticed the exact same thing with the Sony Wega's. I thought they looked not half as good as the Samsung's. Plus the current deal they have on the Samsung 54" and 32" HDTV is hard to pass up. I love my 32" so far. I have yet to see a high resolution viewing on it though except for the one they showed at Sears so I can't comment on that. Everything I've watched is Analog since I view DVD's with a non Progressive Scan player and don't have an HDTV converter yet.

------------------

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Wilkemp was saying the analog Sony's looked better than the digital Samsungs. I think that high end analog sets do look better/more normal for displaying certain material than digital sets to some people. I think there are some trade offs going from analog to digital right now. I for one LOVE the fact that the Samsung TVs barely show any scanning lines due to the fact they convert all 480i material to 480p. The Sony digital sets upconvert 480i also, but they seem to show more scanning lines, they just don't look as film like as the samsungs. I love watching old Hanna Barbara cartoons that look like I'm looking at original film cells through a projector, there are virtually no scan lines. The problem with the new digital sets happens when viewing DVDs, they show the shortcomings of the MPEG compression, which analog sets seem to hide, by actually showing less resolution etc. For the money though I'd much rather pay $850 for my 27" digital ready HD-monitor, that can show HDTV with a tuner, than spend the same or more on a comparable high end Sony Wega that flickers & has scanning lines. At first most people notice the MPEG anomalies, because they aren't used to watching a digital set, & they are used to viewing an analog set with it's analog anomalies. What I know is that the analog anomalies will never go away, but we only seem to be getting more & more HDTV programming, which does look WAY better than any analog signal I've seen on my set.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are either of you hooked up to DSS, if so how does that look because as of now I live in an apartment and we do have DirectTv thru Southwestern Bell and I don't think HDnet or HD programming is in there future as yet. And I agree, if there is no noticable difference between the Samsung and Sony I would much rather shell out $900 instead of $1900 for the Sony, and so would my WIFE.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since having my TV for 3 days here's a few things I've noticed on the new screen. The pay Cable channels look incredible, such as HBO, Cinemax etc. Very clean. The big Networks look alright, but the regular cable channels defenitely show their dirty laundry. Where on a regular Analog TV you probably won't see any big differences, but on a Digital TV you can see Every little detail which ends up making the picture not quite as good.

I've also noticed a few DVD's do this also. Gladiator looked fantastic on my old Analog TV but on Digital you can see the grain. Although I am using a Non Progressive Scan DVD player too so that may be a factor and I'm willing to bet much of that grain will dissapear in a higher resolution such as 1080i. However watching Digitally made movies such as Toy Story and A Bugs Life etc, is an experience you can quite describe. The picture is literally flawless. Looking forward to seeing how Shrek is going to look! Also very excited for the upcoming Star Wars Episode 1 disc.

------------------

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeg:
Socrates, How much did you get your 32" Samsung for?
I got it at Sears for $1499. It's a Gameday deal they have promoting College and Pro Football in HDTV. It's a 6 month moneyback garauntee with free financing and delayed billing. I payed about half of it off anyway when I got it. But it was the best offer on this Set I could find anywhere. I did multiple searches across the Net etc.

------------------

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have DirectTV, & the PPV channels are really good, maybe on par with a well transfered DVD. The sports & regular movie channels look good too, but other channels suffer from compression problems like color blocking & some motion anomalies, but these don't bother me too much unless I'm sitting really close & I usually watch the news from the kitchen so that doesn't matter much. Cartoons look great, but they probably don't take up that much bandwidth. I sure wish they would up the bandwidth on the Sci-fi channel though, Farscape looks much poorer than I'd hoped for.

If you do buy a Samsung, make sure you know that Best Buy sells simular models, but they are downgraded from those you get at other outlets. They have a black case & don't have Dolby sound or the front firing speakers, which really make a huge difference if you don't plan on using a home theater system, they also don't have a seperate NTSC tuner for PIP & split screen viewing. The Samsung TSL-2795HF that I have lists for about $1200, but I got it for around $850. Look for good sales & haggle if you need to. If your rich, they are still a worthy purchase at dealers regular prices.(ie about 10% below MSRP) Also, Samsung has a 30" direct view 16:9 (widescreen) version, which i've seen listed for around $1700. Maybe next year I'll get one of these & move my current one to the Bedroom.

In regards to the programming being called 'Cinemascope' instead of 'Panavision' My TVs manual says that the "Wide" mode sets it for 16x9 aspect ratio & when it is set for this it corrected the vertical distortion of the tall & skinny lions on "Deep Into the Lion's Den". As 2.35:1 is not 16:9 I don't know what original aspect it was shot at, but it seems they are stretching a 16:9 picture to fit a 4:3 screen. You may be correct that it was originally shot as Cinemascope, but Whenever the credits role for shows that are stretched this way they always have the "Panavision" Logo, but not always the Cinemascope. This may just be error in the credits though. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Just noticed that Deep in the Lion's Den will re-air on Monday, November 9, 2001 at 8:00 PM (ET).

[This message has been edited by mikeg (edited 09-24-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.