AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have a Samsung 46" Series 5 LCD (LN46A550) and want to use my laptop to playback hidef xVid shows (decided laptop was best way to go for divx, xVid because of the possible permutations and certifications). As my laptop does not have a HDMI/DVI port, I'm left with either SVHS or PC VGA ports as choices.

The TV says it supports 1920x1080 via the PC port and I'm able to display the desktop at this resolution (open word,etc) ... but as soon as I try and play video (plays fine on laptop), it drops out on the tv and displays a message that the mode is not supported. I called Samsung support and after working with them for about 25 minutes, they told me that I had to use 640 x 480 mode in order for video to play. Sure enough, I can display video at this resolution. They could not give me a reason why ONLY this resolution works when the tv is capable of much more.

I'm very disappointed with this and wondering if anyone out there is playing video using their PC port with greater resolutions that 640x480 ? Does anyone know why this is so. Is it a Samsung thing, or is it pretty much all vendors.

Thanks,

Jaime

·
Registered
282 Posts
Very strange though, I checked CNet's review on the TV and here is what they said about PC Support:
Quote:
PC: Via both VGA and DVI the Samsung performed as well as we expected with PC sources, resolving every line of a 1,920x1,080p source with no overscan or edge enhancement.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanng /forum/post/15517898

Hi:

I have a Samsung 46" Series 5 LCD (LN46A550) and want to use my laptop to playback hidef xVid shows (decided laptop was best way to go for divx, xVid because of the possible permutations and certifications). As my laptop does not have a HDMI/DVI port, I'm left with either SVHS or PC VGA ports as choices.

The TV says it supports 1920x1080 via the PC port and I'm able to display the desktop at this resolution (open word,etc) ... but as soon as I try and play video (plays fine on laptop), it drops out on the tv and displays a message that the mode is not supported. I called Samsung support and after working with them for about 25 minutes, they told me that I had to use 640 x 480 mode in order for video to play. Sure enough, I can display video at this resolution. They could not give me a reason why ONLY this resolution works when the tv is capable of much more.

I'm very disappointed with this and wondering if anyone out there is playing video using their PC port with greater resolutions that 640x480 ? Does anyone know why this is so. Is it a Samsung thing, or is it pretty much all vendors.

Thanks,

Jaime

could it be the video card that's restricting the output? I was thinking my son's desktop computer with a NVidea video card would output a higher resolution when his was hooked up VGA but we have since swicthed it over to DVI and is set to 1080 with no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a laptop so it's the integrated video adaptor. I've already checked and have latest video bios and drivers installed.

I was wondering about a potential port problem and will hook up my other computer monitor to the laptop at the higher resolutions to confirm that it's not the pc port that's the problem - I've tried so many things that I'm starting to lose track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess C-net review only tested the pc desktop with some apps - I've got no problem with those either at 1920x1080. The article also mentions that the unit has pip, but again it's pretty useless because pip only works if you are watching an analog tv channel...

I would love for there to be a solution to the vga port though (pip would also be nice for flipping between channels during commercials) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PC vga port is not a problem. I was able to connect my Dell 20" monitor to it and play video on it with it configured 1920x1080 - so it's the tv that is having trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I got it to work 1600x1200 @ 60hz & 1024x78 @ 75hz. I had tried these resolution before, but wasn't paying attention to the refresh rate and hadn't pickup on the video driver changing the refresh rate on me to 85hz (I guess default for those resolutions). I just had to set it down to 60 hz and voila - it's good. I'm watching the blue planet shot in Imax, wow what a picture!

Don't know why samsung support, both first and second tiers weren't able to help me figure it out and even mislead me into believe that it was product limitation - oh well, I'm happy now. Hopefully this post will be of help to others that get into the same situation.

Peace,

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanng /forum/post/15519884

Alright, I got it to work 1600x1200 @ 60hz & 1024x78 @ 75hz. I had tried these resolution before, but wasn't paying attention to the refresh rate and hadn't pickup on the video driver changing the refresh rate on me to 85hz (I guess default for those resolutions). I just had to set it down to 60 hz and voila - it's good. I'm watching the blue planet shot in Imax, wow what a picture!

Don't know why samsung support, both first and second tiers weren't able to help me figure it out and even mislead me into believe that it was product limitation - oh well, I'm happy now. Hopefully this post will be of help to others that get into the same situation.

Peace,

If you are going to use your TV a lot with your laptop and watch movies you might want to look into getting a video card with DVI output capabilities. I know with my son's desktop the picture really sharpened up and the detail was much better when we hooked it up by DVI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.