AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a HLN5065W. The PQ is tremendous but I cannot understand the PIP mode constraints. I have the DCT5100 cable box connected to Component 2, my X-Box connected to Component 3 and my DVD-931 connected to the DVI input.

PIP wont show anything but an empty TV screen in the 2nd box. It won't let me select any other input. Can it be true that using the better quality inputs renders PIP useless on the Sammy DLP's? This set was built by Samsung in August '03 and has the latest firmware.

Thanks for any help.

....Brian

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just went through this and was able to get my PiP to work on my 617. You have to split the cable signal at the wall. One goes to your cable box the other goes to your TV. Then you have to designate the PiP to the other cable line (Antenna). I may have left some things out so you might want to do search here for PiP and you may find my old threads.

·
Registered
916 Posts
When you have any high-bandwidth input activated (DVI, PC, Component 1 thru 3), then you can only use S-Video or Video inputs for the PIP window.

Rick

Edit: Added "PC"

·
Registered
615 Posts
VGA counts as a high-bandwidth input, correct ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yep. I foolishly forgot that one, Kenhdtv. Sorry! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Resist
I just went through this and was able to get my PiP to work on my 617. You have to split the cable signal at the wall. One goes to your cable box the other goes to your TV.
I see this splitting solution reccommended quite a bit. Can someone let me know why this is preferrable to connecting the cable directly to the TV first and then use the cable out to connect to the cable box? So that, in effect, the Sammy is the cable splitter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's funny, it works fine for me with the cable out from the Sammy going to a Mot 5100. I get all the digital channels, even HD channels. It must depend on your cable system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got off the phone with Time Warner on this very topic.

They said if I wanted to use the PIP on the TV that I'd have to split the signal at the wall plug one into Ant B and one to cable box and the out to Ant A. The Ant B however would only receive channels 0-99 (since it's not running through the digital converter box).

My solution is I'm getting TW's digital DVR cable box and that box itself has two tuners in it so I'll use the PIP built into the cable box for cable related PIP and use the Samsung TV PIP for the other inputs as needed.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
348 Posts
On my current Sony HDTV tube I can have the compnent signal only on the left side, and the other side is left to RCA and S-Video. But I can mix and match them.

So if I want to play my XBox (component) and watch regular old cable TV (s-video or coax) I can't?

Or it just can't split two of the high-end connectors? Can it do one high-end and one low-end?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by laggerific
So if I want to play my XBox (component) and watch regular old cable TV (s-video or coax) I can't?
You can't put a component signal in a window. You can have the component signal on full-screen, and place a window with s-video or coax in one of the corners.

You can always use a composite or x-video signal with your xBox and play that in side-by-side mode with regular TV.

Getting clearer?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
You can't put a component signal in a window. You can have the component signal on full-screen, and place a window with s-video or coax in one of the corners.

You can always use a composite or x-video signal with your xBox and play that in side-by-side mode with regular TV.

Getting clearer?

I think I want to keep my XBox on component...Soul Calibur 2 is one of the most amazing things in high def. I am fine with the tv picture in a window...this is mainly for gaming anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Doesn't splittting the signal at the wall dampen signal strength tremendously. I've tried just about every way around doing this given the limitations in my cable box and the DLP, but it seems this may be the only choice.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The HLN467 does. I connect the cable from the wall to Antenna A. Then connect Antenna Out (on the Sammy 467) to the cable box. The splitter is built into this Sammy.

Sooke

Quote:
Originally posted by Resist
The Sammy doesn't have a cable out for that purpose. Believe me I tried.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I run cable out on my Sammy to my cable box (SA3250HD) which has no trouble showing channels over 100 (digitial and HD).

Sooke

Quote:
Originally posted by gamecock
I tried the cable out on the Sammy, but my cable box SA3250HD via Time Warner wouldn't show any channel > 100.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.