AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Version 6, planned for next year, will focus on full-high-definition capability, higher emitting efficiency and simplified circuitry. The target specs will be 3.5-lm/W efficiency and a 400:1 contrast ratio in bright ambient light. Based on the road map, a 63-inch full-HD panel will be available within 2006. Kim said Samsung SDI has already prototyped 80-inch and 102-inch full-HD panels."

Plasma panel leader sees a market 'in balance'

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
"400:1 contrast ratio in bright ambient light". What does that mean for dark rooms? I'm usually watching in dark rooms, only.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Panny 42PWD8UY is rated at 340:1 according to Panasonic's brochure. A 63" rated at 400:1 would be blinding. :cool:

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Anyone see the 71" plasma on LG's website? I believe the model is the 71PY10. Contrast is only marketed at 1200:1, but its 1920x1080P. I stumbled upon it last night while researching their 50" products.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The LG is old news. $75K right now if you know who to find that can sell you one.

As for bright light, the answer is "no, not necessarily." They are quoting simultaneous or ANSI CR in a brightly lit room and they might get that by being super bright. But the blacks might still not be as dark or as detailed. So it's hard to judge dark-room performance from light-room performance.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Interesting, Mark. Still learning, here. It did bewilder me yesterday when I noticed them denote the CR on some products 'in dark room'.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Wow. This is the second "pre-announcement" of 60+ 1080p plasmas in a week. Looks like 2006 is going to be a stellar year.

·
Registered
160 Posts
These will be out of my price range for quite some time, so it's not really going to affect what plasma I'll buy.

I wonder when we'll see 50" plasmas for less than 5 grand?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You can already buy the Panasonic 50-inch -- which might be the best thing going -- for

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.