AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw Samsung's newset plasma display at BB, model SPN4235. This is the upgrade to the popular SPL4225K.

There have been some marked improvements on this new display, like increased contrast ratio, DVI interface, thinner bezel, etc. The picture quality on the display model was excellent, in fact it was as good as the Panny. Needless to say I was very impressed.

However, my question has to do with the 3:2 pulldown feature. I can't seem to find any information anywhere as to whether this Samsung has the 3:2 pulldown feature or not. It's not listed as a feature on their website, but then again the Samsung website offers minimal information.

So my two questions are;

1) Does anyone know if this model has the 3:2 pulldown feature, and

2) Just how important IS the 3:2 pulldown feature?

My viewing will be mostly SD sattelite (although I'm waiting for DishNetwork's new 921 PVR receiver), SOME HD programming through an OTA tuner, and SOME DVD through a progressive scan DVD player, and very minimal VCR.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If your DVD player has 3:2 pulldown, then it isn't necessary to have it in the display. 3:2 pulldown is only applied to interlaced signals. Therefore, to use the 3:2 pulldown feature in a display, you would need to set your DVD player to output an interlaced signal.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, 3:2 pulldown essentially takes an interlaced image and converts it to a progressive image. I understand that if I have a progressive scan DVD player than 3:2 pulldown is not necessary.

However, what about the satellite signal. If I have that coming in through the S-video connection, then isn't that an interlaced signal, and wouldn't that benefit from the 3:2 pulldown feature?

I'm guessing that Dish Network's new 921 receiver, which is an HD receiver, will send everything out progressive. I would assume it would have to if it's connected via component or DVI.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Just saw this plasma today as well. I must say I was pretty impressed. I read the specs saying it had the DNIe chip. as well as 1200:1 contrast ratio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the SPN4235 has TWO built-in analog tuners for PIP. It does not include speakers, but it does have 10wx2 power for optional speakers (attachable speakers available).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
4apex,

3:2 pulldown is not the same as deinterlacing. It is a part of the deinterlacing process and significantly improves the image for film based sources. There are several excellent documents available on the internet that explain the process, do a search. In a nutshell, deinterlacing video that has been created from film introduces image artifacts. Deinterlacing video that has been created from film using 3:2 pulldown significantly reduces or eliminates these same artifacts.

Because a DVD player has progressive scan outputs does not necessarily mean that the player has/uses 3:2 pulldown. Progressive scan and 3:2 pulldown are separate (but related) features.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Film is shot at 24fps

----------------------------------

3/2 pulldown is a process that converts 24fps “full frames†into 30fps (60 fields/s) interlaced film

reverse 3/2 pulldown is a process that converts 30fps (60 fields/s) interlaced film into full 60fps progressive film

----------------------------------

If a display is progressive it ‘must’ have reverse 3/2 pulldown built-in in order to watch film material from an interlaced DVD player

If a DVD player is progressive it ‘must’ have reverse 3/2 pulldown in order to convert normal interlaced DVD to progressive output for a progressive display.

As for Satellite signals: All EDTV and all HDTV (except 1080i) are progressive signals. But all SDTV signals are interlaced. But more importantly, they are not film.

Since interlaced satellite is not film based material it therefore must be video base (60 different fields/second) and therefore cannot use reverse 3/2 pulldown.

In this case your display or dvd player must use a de-interlacer chip.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Quote:
If a display is progressive it ‘must’ have reverse 3/2 pulldown built-in in order to watch film material from an interlaced DVD player

If a DVD player is progressive it ‘must’ have reverse 3/2 pulldown in order to convert normal interlaced DVD to progressive output for a progressive display.
The word "must" is misleading. Reverse 3:2 pulldown is necessary to minimize image artifacts (usually seen as jaggies in diagonal lines) that are otherwise created by deinterlacing film based video. There are many progressive scan displays and DVD players that do not have reverse 3:2 pulldown.

Regards,

Steve

Edit: I should have made it clear that almost all newer progressive displays and DVD players have reverse 3:2 pulldown. Many of the early progressive scan players and displays did not.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
maybe so but if you want to de-interlace dvd film based material properly you need reverse 3/2 pulldown on one of the following

display

player

external device

Otherwise you'll be weaving two different fields which as you pointed out will show up as feathering.

And I'm not sure that you can get a progressive DVD player without it? Why would they make them? Cheaper maybe?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 4apex
I just saw Samsung's newset plasma display at BB, model SPN4235. This is the upgrade to the popular SPL4225K.

There have been some marked improvements on this new display, like increased contrast ratio, DVI interface, thinner bezel, etc. The picture quality on the display model was excellent, in fact it was as good as the Panny. Needless to say I was very impressed.

However, my question has to do with the 3:2 pulldown feature. I can't seem to find any information anywhere as to whether this Samsung has the 3:2 pulldown feature or not. It's not listed as a feature on their website, but then again the Samsung website offers minimal information.

So my two questions are;

1) Does anyone know if this model has the 3:2 pulldown feature, and

2) Just how important IS the 3:2 pulldown feature?

My viewing will be mostly SD sattelite (although I'm waiting for DishNetwork's new 921 PVR receiver), SOME HD programming through an OTA tuner, and SOME DVD through a progressive scan DVD player, and very minimal VCR.

Thanks!
This model has the Faroudja FLI2200 de-interlacer.

-Omar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.