AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV is the PN58C6500..I've owned it a little over 1 year....The board has now gone out 3 times (most recently this week)...EACH time was due to Lightening...However, My old RPTV TV was hooked up to exact same Monster Surge protector as my plasma...It seems that the board on this TV is extremely sensitive to voltage spikes...The surge protector I have is pictured below....What gives?? I've called Samsung and told them I don't want this TV..They are supposed to call me back from their 'trade in' dept to discuss trading it in for another model...Should I try switching to another Sammy model? Should I just switch brands? Suggestions??

Here is how it looks:

Here is my setup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You have a "surge suppressor". They don't do very much and deteriorate with age. Make sure the cable outside has a grounding block and use a line conditioner to protect the power.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/20787769

You have a "surge suppressor". They don't do very much and deteriorate with age. Make sure the cable outside has a grounding block and use a line conditioner to protect the power.

Ugh..That's not encouraging...I have DirectTV so you are saying that I need to make sure the coax coming from the satellite dish is grounded? And you suggest that I get a line conditioner for my AV Receiver??

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Line conditioners are cheap and the coax line from the dish should have a grounding block.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/20787992

Line conditioners are cheap and the coax line from the dish should have a grounding block.

Suggestion where to buy a line conditioner and what brand? I'm pretty sure the coax is grounded but I'll double check.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
APC on Amazon or Newegg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update....I spoke with Samsung and basically told them I'm not happy about my TV going out 3 times in a year...I got escalated to their 'trade in' dept. They have agreed to give me a 2011 model of this TV and take my old one...It will be 59" and also 3D...I must say, Samsung has made me happy to be their customer....ALSO, I've hired an electrician to install a surge protector in my fuse panel. I'm still up in the air about the line conditioner and how effective it will be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts