AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while now my Samsung Plasma has had a permanent pink smudge that's in the image (kind of like a paint brushing effect), and you can see it all over the screen on a white background. But when there is a scene with colour it's not really as visible but still there. I've done a quick search online and I've seen other people complain about the issue and some call it pink banding and one claimed a technician changed the voltage on the TV which fixed the issue, but I want to know if it's worth fixing (an estimation on how much it'd cost?), and what exactly causes this issue?

I found this picture on the internet and it looks exactly like this but a lot worse, is anyone familiar with this?:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't look like the pink banding that many of us are talking about. The pink banding is typically at the bottom and/or top of the panel. That looks like something worse.
Unfortunately that is not my picture, but I did find it on the internet and that's pretty much what my Plasma looks like although my TV looks a lot worse than that. (It pretty much covers the whole screen) and it's very distracting whenever you're watching something, and it's more prominent when there is a white background displayed.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Unfortunately that is not my picture, but I did find it on the internet and that's pretty much what my Plasma looks like although my TV looks a lot worse than that. (It pretty much covers the whole screen) and it's very distracting whenever you're watching something, and it's more prominent when there is a white background displayed.
Either way, it's not the normal pink tint that many have reported. That's a serious issue with the panel. Contact Samsung.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just got PN60F5300 and to my surprise it's broken in the same way or worse. Here's a closeup of top-left corner of the screen. The rest of it has that huge pink noise you're talking about.

I'm now waiting for Samsung to respond to my service request.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My living room Samsung Plasma has it although not as bad as post 5. Not happy about it. It's worse when the TV is cold (like all over the picture) but gets better after it warms up (staying just at the top) and only noticable with white or very light backgrounds. I'm going to follow this thread cuz I'd love to have mine fixed, if it's worth it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate it a lot. I also forgot to mention that the pink smudging effect also flickers in the picture of the TV (it's not just a smudge that stays still) and yeah I have no idea what causes it, but I would like to know how much it costs to get it repaired. Please let me know if any of you contact Samsung because this TV is a few years old and out of warranty and if it's going to cost over $1000 for a new panel or something, I may as well buy a new TV. Cheers.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That doesn't look like the pink banding that many of us are talking about. The pink banding is typically at the bottom and/or top of the panel. That looks like something worse.
Typically, but FWIW my pink banding got progressively worse to the point that it did spread towards the middle (i.e., upper half, as opposed to top 1/3rd) of the screen; needless to say, voltage adjustment (I did the firmware update afterwards) took care of it. OP's description does seem to sound like pink banding to me IMHO.

·
Registered
868 Posts
...but I want to know if it's worth fixing (an estimation on how much it'd cost?)...
I'd guess around a few hundred bucks tops if the tech does just the voltage adjustment and/or firmware upgrade...but unless you are ham-fisted and/or don't feel comfortable messing with electrical components, you can easily do the voltage adjustment yourself. I was initially intimidated by the task but in the end it was a relatively piece of cake--the "hardest" part was unscrewing and screwing the roughly two dozen screws that hold the back panel in place; having a second set of hands and eyes to assist definitely helps but it can be done by just one person under most circumstances (you might need help if your panel is wall-mounted).

Some folks have reported positive results by just doing the firmware upgrade so you might want to go that route first.

·
Registered
79 Posts
RSPEC, I believe this is exactly what others (including myself) experienced with this vintage of Samsung plasma. It's discussed at great length in the latter half in the owners thread located here. You'll see in my post #8055 where I finally got mine fixed. You'll need to read thru the 50 or so posts before mine to get all the details. I can tell you there file you'll need to download, put on a flash drive, plug into your panel, and install the fix. And there's a certain way to navigate the service menu. It's all explained, but you'll need to be patient to get thru all of it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These responses are helping me feel more confident that there is a fix, but I'm really not that confident in opening up my TV and attempting to change the voltage myself. As for the firmware update, what exactly is involved with that? Is it simply just plugging the flash drive into your TV and updating it which fixes the pink smudging/banding? Because I read a few posts in that thread you provided me JCUMV (thanks for providing the links too) and they are saying you need the service remote to the TV, so do I need to go through service menus and start changing settings? Because I really don't like fiddling around with settings I know nothing about. I also saw a few people mentioning that when they did the update the picture changed for the worse. What exactly is involved and is there a chance the picture can become worse than before the update? Thank you.

Edit: Also sorry for the late responses, I live in Australia and when it's afternoon here it's probably very late for most on this forum (I presume most users on this site are American).

·
Registered
79 Posts
The fix I describe requires no voltage changes. The owners thread explains exactly what you need to do. You'll need to spend an hour reading thru the posts to understand it. You access get service menu with the standard remote. There's just a series of buttons you have to press to access the service menu. If I can do it, you can do it. But you need to sit down and invest some time in this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't remember anybody complaining that it looked worse after installing the update. That could have been on the voltage adjustment, I'm not sure. Most people, like myself, found that the update fixed their panel perfectly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again mate, I appreciate the assistance and guides you have given me. I haven't had much free time lately and have been pretty busy, so hopefully one of these days I can sit down and fiddle around with it. If I'm not too confident in fixing it myself I'll just call a Samsung technician, thanks again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here who provided the links and post numbers to the other threads. I read them all and concluded that my TV could be "fixed" this way too. I have the PN50C550... and when I first tried to put the LOGIC.bin file on the flash drive from my MAC, it wouldn't work but thankfully my GF also has a PC for her work and I was able to make the flash drive there. Then when I tried to do the update, it flashed vey quick and then said "failed". I tried multiple times with the same result. After going back to the TV, I did notice that the "pink" was better but not completely gone and of course the calibration was changed but the picture did look sharper.

Then while I was behind my TV, I saw it had an ethernet port and the menus had a "software upgrade" choice via USB or Network, so I plugged in cable, went to "software upgrade", chose Network and voila, upgraded! Sweet!

I re-calibrated all three HDMI inputs and the picture looked even better still, but still with very little pink but not too bad though. Then I also noticed that every time I turned the TV on, it would default to "Air 3" and only showed "snow", I had to manually switch to HDMI 1 plus the "turn on volume" was set to 10. So I went back into the service menu and realized I forgot to turn "Hotel Mode" off, silly me. While I couldn't change the input default, I was able to change the "turn on volume" and once I turned off "Hotel Mode", the input went to HDMI 1, yay! But the volume was still at 10, back to the service menu! I confirmed that it was still set to "0" but every time I turn on the TV, the volume was at 10, so I gave up and was going to deal with it. The next day I turned on the TV and everything was fine, the input was still correct and the volume was at 0. It seems that it needed a little time to "take".

The only caveat was that every time you enter the service menu, it resets your calibration to factory, luckily last time I took pictures of the settings in each mode and changed all the settings back to my calibrated settings and now the TV looks great with only minor "pink" showing. If it gets worse or bothers me too much, then I'll go in and adjust the voltage but for now, I'm happy.

Thanks again all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts