AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, bought my dad a Samsung Plasma PN51E450 after his LG lcd died. I messed with settings from Samsung Plasma PN51D450 and cant quite get it to way the LG lcd used to look. The HD is not bad, but the SD is pretty bad.

I read that overtime plasma might get a bit better, so hoping for that.

Does any one have any settings for a bit of a pop(vibrant where people look 3d) but not a vivid setting. (movie mode is a bit dull) ? or should I just use the 51D450 settings.

thank you, any help greatly appreciated.

P.S. i ordered a panasonic 55 inch plasma from tigerdirect.com and it came with broken box/broken screen. I dont think i will be buying anywhere online anymore where they deliver . I believe the LG died early because it was dropped in delivery truck as well. (might be coincidence )

so i needed a tv quick so i bought this at PC richards and Son. do they accept returns/exchanges?

thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What level of "calibration" are you using? If you are transferring grayscale especially, you should understand that chances are low that you will be making much improvement. The calibration thread for the D7/8000 has pretty much concluded that every panel is unique, so you really should use a colorimeter to check grayscale, but you can at least use a test disc to evaluate calibrations you are copying. See Larry's recent post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21874135

Even if you just want to make basic adjustments, a simple test disc will make it very easy to get an optimal result. I suggest AVS HD 709, it's free and there is a simple PDF guide to calibrating (much of which can be done simply by eye). Once you know what to do, you can calibrate brightness, contrast, color, tint and sharpness in a matter of minutes. Then it's just a matter of copying the settings over to the other inputs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Avidhiker, thanks a lot. i will try what you sugested. I usually start with some settings i see some one post and then tweak them by eye. but this tv i kept playing with it and could not get the picture to my liking.

thanks

is there a test disk for usb? dad does not own a blue ray.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there a disk i can just buy thats good, so i can connect the laptop and use that disk to calibrate? or the avs hd709 is just fine too? if they had a usb version, that would probably be best. since i think tv has usb jack to play stuff.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not sure, but you can buy basic calibration discs in DVD format. Not having a bluray player is nearly a crime with this tv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker /forum/post/21883692

Not sure, but you can buy basic calibration discs in DVD format. Not having a bluray player is nearly a crime with this tv.

i know i know, but its for dad, he dont buy/rent blue rays, all he does is watch family basic cable and russian stations
which are horrible in SD

tv is actually looking better today when i saw it with some tweaking. its pretty reflective too, but he says he likes it. so all good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts