AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My Samsung Plasma TV died" PN64E550D1FXZA.

Of course it died 2 months after warranty expired.

Yesterday, the TV started its death throes by randomly shutting off after using it for longer than an hour. It worked fine after turning back on. Today, it shutdown after less than 10 minutes of use. After turning it back on on several times, a loud pop was heard from the back of the TV and it will no longer turn on. My guess is one of the capacitors died. Hopefully it didn't take out anything else with it.

Now  i gotta figure out whether to pay $100-$600 for repairs that may or may not work or buy a new one.  It cost about $2000 new.

Browsing the internets, it seems lots of people have issues with Samsung quality. This is my second plasma from them. The first one is still alive and i have an LCD that is just as old that is alive as well. Both were bought in 2008ish.

Sony seem more reliable. But they also cost quite a bit more.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had roughly the same thing happen to a Panasonic Plasma a few years ago. I did have an extended warranty (I know, I was stupid to buy it
) that paid for the repair. Electronics seem to be luck of the draw, unfortunately. Cheap components are in lots of stuff nowadays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer  /t/1524255/samsung-plasma-tv-died-today-1-year-2-months-old#post_24528313

I had roughly the same thing happen to a Panasonic Plasma a few years ago. I did have an extended warranty (I know, I was stupid to buy it
) that paid for the repair. Electronics seem to be luck of the draw, unfortunately. Cheap components are in lots of stuff nowadays.
Sure seems like it was worth it now.

A friend suggested i check to see if i bought it with a credit card. Sometimes they have extended warranty protection. Turns out my VISA card does. Now i have to jump through hundreds of burning hoops to get it repaired and reimbursed.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge99  /t/1524255/samsung-plasma-tv-died-today-1-year-2-months-old/0_60#post_24528762

Sure seems like it was worth it now.

A friend suggested i check to see if i bought it with a credit card. Sometimes they have extended warranty protection. Turns out my VISA card does. Now i have to jump through hundreds of burning hoops to get it repaired and reimbursed.

Before you contact your VISA provider, you might want to call Samsung and explain to them that your Samsung TV shouldn't blow up only two months after the warranty expired and ask them to cover the repair under "customer goodwill". Panasonic has agreed to such repairs for several people here over the years (even at 3 months after the warranty ended) so it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1524255/samsung-plasma-tv-died-today-1-year-2-months-old#post_24529303

Before you contact your VISA provider, you might want to call Samsung and explain to them that your Samsung TV shouldn't blow up only two months after the warranty expired and ask them to cover the repair under "customer goodwill". Panasonic has agreed to such repairs for several people here over the years (even at 3 months after the warranty ended) so it's worth a shot.
well i am going through Samsung to get a technician to assess and quote a price for repair/replacement anyways. Maybe they'll offer and i can ask. If they don't i just have to submit the bills to the insurance company my Visa card uses to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Usually if you register a samsung product on samsung.com you get an extra 3 months of warranty coverage. I would try that first, and upload the receipt... and with a little persistence when you call, you should be able to get them to take care of you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts