AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My uncle just picked up a new 58 inch 7000 series 3D plasma from Samsung and I was taken on it's picture quality. Natural clear picture with "film like" response. I was moved on how damn good this set looked running comcast HD cable. Not to mention all the streaming abilities was a nice add on bonus.

I have been looking for a new Tv for awhile now. Back in the day I wanted to grab a Pioneer Elite 60 Kuro but they sold quick and I didn't have the extra cash to grab one. So I'm on a quest to find a replacement model that I can live with for years to come.

I have checked out LG PK750 and PK950 series plasma TV's and I like them a lot. I think they do a pretty damn good job.

I also have dug deep into Panasonic but I always feel they are missing something. The VT series is damn nice but still old fashion in it's look and feel. Picture quality is outstanding compared to just about anything on the market I have seen or Installed.

So in the field I have yet to Install a Samsung Plasma , now that I have seen the 7000 and 8000 series models I'm going to talk to my boss about carrying them so I can get my hands all over them.

My question is has any of you compared the Samsung plasma to everything else? I'm no fan of LED /LCD tv's as they give me motion sickness. I don't like the kiddy pop up book look to the picture. I think non moving images look incredible and damn the best depth I've seen but the motion blur gives me a headache. So I'm looking for Plasma head to head. I want the best set out on the market money can buy or the best bang for your buck will also do.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm gonna spend some good money on a new high end display and It does or does not have 3D , I don't think it's a deal breaker. I wouldn't mind having it as a new receiver and HDMI 1.4 cables can easily be intergraded into my current system. I would be willing to upgrade the entire signal path to support 3D.

I'm just so Impressed with the Samsung Plasma , they don't get much hype in the field , we don't sell any which I would like to change that and get more in home experience with then in different conditions. What I was looking for here was some opinion of owners who already did some compare with other plasma models.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 /forum/post/19567139

If I'm gonna spend some good money on a new high end display and It does or does not have 3D , I don't think it's a deal breaker. I wouldn't mind having it as a new receiver and HDMI 1.4 cables can easily be intergraded into my current system. I would be willing to upgrade the entire signal path to support 3D.

I'm just so Impressed with the Samsung Plasma , they don't get much hype in the field , we don't sell any which I would like to change that and get more in home experience with then in different conditions. What I was looking for here was some opinion of owners who already did some compare with other plasma models.

What "field" are you talking about? What industry are you in?

What is it that you do recommend and have been installing in the field?

You probably should start by reading thru the VT25 vs PNC8000 thread . This is discussing #1 vs #2 rated Plasma models.

Also keep in mind while 3D may not be a feature to have, the technologies that come along in a 3D set actually provide substantial picture improvements for 2D as well.

Quote:
I have checked out LG PK750 and PK950 series plasma TV's and I like them a lot.

What I have heard and seen on LGs is that the LG should stand for "Lots of Glare". Their panels and glass is very reflective.

Quote:
The VT series is damn nice but still old fashion in it's look and feel. Picture quality is outstanding compared to just about anything on the market I have seen or Installed.

In regards to PQ - This Samsung C7000/8000 latest firmware update improved the black levels from 0.018 to 0.012 and we are told that based on estimates that the final VT25 level will be right around 0.012 when its done rising.

So all in all, the Samsung will probably match the VT25 in PQ very closely after about 3000/4000 hours of operation. Both Calibrated and with good HD BD material, they are probably very close.

If you look at C-Net's reviews, they pick the VT25 as #1 TV and even made it an editors choice, but if you read thru and compare what is said of the Samsung in its review and in the VT25 comparing it to Samsung you will notice often that the reviewer states the Samsung is better, equal, and darn near close in each PQ test to VT25. So you cannot go wrong with either in my opinion. In fact I lean towards the Samsung since for Bluray content its 24p Cinema Smooth mode seems to be the best implementation of the mode by any manufacturer or brand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts