AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little info about 42" Samsung plasmas. Checked the FAQ and did a few searches but found next to nothing, which made be bad news in and of itself.

My friend knows somebody at Samsung and can get these for near-cost. I need to be able to tell him it's worth it, even at the bargain rate he can get.

Not sure if he'd want to get the HD or ED model, knowing that many ED models arguably look better with DVD's and NTSC. This monitor would be used with digital cable, with the ratio of viewing probably being 10/20/70 of HDTV/DVD/NTSC.

Essentially I'd like to know if the Samsung's are any good. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My opinion is the screen is very good, even the definition of blacks is acceptable, but the scaler is terrible. However, I exclusively use the VGA port through a PC.

Many people here are complaining about colour problems when running through other components (excepting VGA and DVI). If you can get a plasma for the cost of a normal rear projection I would go for it. As for ETV or HDTV, more pixels are better but smaller pixels is adding risk (since plasma cells are low yield and hand picked; clearly the technology is not perfected yet). Also remember HDTV plasmas are interlaced and the pixels are rectangular so computer imagines need to use a line doubler and a resolution of 1024*512 (at least for a 1024*1024 plasma). In terms of rescaling I can't imagine the HDTV being any worse, and HDTV has more vibrant colour. But there are many more people with better expert advise than I can give you. You have to weigh it price per pound. Other than DLP, no projection is going to match the clarity, definition, vibrancy of plasma. And you don't need to sit at a fixed position; anything beyond 5' and you get good picture. There is also the disadvantage of burn in which forces you to scale. For example I have to rescale 2.35:1 movies and distort them chopping off the sides. 1.78:1 though plays perfectly.

All in all I wouldn't go for any big screen tv than plasma currently, but I wish the technology were more ripe and cheaper. I just didn't want to wait 2-3 more years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.