1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big news if it is what I think it is:

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-101...ag=mncol;title

Quote:
LED-backlit LCDs are certainly winning the hype war at CES 2009, but home theater buffs know that plasmas often offer a better performance for your dollar. Samsung's new top-of-the-line plasmas, the PN-B850 series, feature a super slim, inch-thick design and offer us the new internet widgets available via the [email protected] platform. Here are the important details.

Key features of the Samsung PN-B850 series:

* Slim design, around an inch thick

* Ultra FilterBright Plus antiglare screen

* Real Movie (24 frames per second) mode

* Wide color Enhancer Pro

* Built-in Ethernet

* WiFi-ready, with purchase of additional adapter

* Energy Star 3.0 compatible

* 50- and 58-inch models

* Available in first half of 2009

While we usually see manufacturers print misleading, inflated contrast ratios, Samsung instead only claims "mega dynamic contrast ratio" for these plasmas. The Ultra FilterBright Plus screen is the latest iteration of Samsung's glare reduction coatings, with these sets adding black stripes into the panel to absorb more room light and create deeper blacks. We're anxious to see this in action, as screen glare is still often a problem with plasmas. Wide Color Enhancer Pro is a feature that supposedly matches a source's color space to the HD color space--we haven't seen a feature like this yet, so it will be interesting to test in the labs.

Built-in Ethernet enables access to Samsung's new [email protected] platform, that allows users to access Yahoo widgets capable of delivering content from services such as Flickr, Yahoo News, Yahoo Weather, USA Today, YouTube, Showtime and others. The PN-B850 series is also Wi-Fi-ready, but you'll need to purchase an additional adapter. Finally, the sets are compliant with the new Energy Star 3.0 specification, although it seems like almost all 2009 HDTVs are.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Impressive...most impressive

I guess they were serious about implementing the issues they wanted to address in that pdf document concerning there future plasma plans.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/15492829

I never got the 24 fps hype, but cool to those that can notice it I guess?

its all hype to be sure. most ppl wanting this feature really don't know what they are asking for. displaying content at 24fps has its own inherent judder that is in many ways more pronounced that 3:2 judder.

ppl making decisions about what tv to purchase based on 24p support may not end up with the set best suited to them.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/15493208

So are the Samsungs going to refresh at 72 or just be 48 flicker-TVs?

That is the magic question.....I am hoping its 72Hz like the Kuros...

·
Registered
28 Posts
anyone here has more news about 2009 samsung plasma lineup? pictures and details?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I really wish Samsung would start offering more in 42" other than their basic garbage model.

Are they having a press conference any time soon?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Prestige /forum/post/15498038

I really wish Samsung would start offering more in 42" other than their basic garbage model.

Are they having a press conference any time soon?

Garbage, please. It is a solid unit. I'm not saying that it's top of the line but it aint garbage!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I specifically wrote Samsung and asked about Cinema Smooth and I was given the following from tech support. I assured them that I would not be happy with a little "mistake" like this since I just ordered an B850 partially for this spec. They were very nice.

Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support.

The PN58B850 does indeed have the Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth feature.

You can view the pdf file with the list of features here

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
374 Posts
I read somewhere that the B860 was the only Samsung plasma TV with 96 Hz. I am guessing the B850 and below have 48 Hz? If anyone can confirm this... that would be great.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxdii /forum/post/16442488

If you access the service menu via (mute, 1, 8, 2, power) there is an option to turn 24x4 on. It is currently turned off. With this setting turned on the TV will display Cinema smooth. Hope this helps, as the 860 is $100.00 more.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelioestaves /forum/post/16442877

Wow...I had a feeling that it would just be a matter of changing something in the service menu. I looked around in there the other day but couldn't see anything that looked like it would turn cinema smooth on. I can't believe I did not notice the 24Px4 option..hah.

It definitely worked it looks like, I now have the Cinema Smooth option in my Menu under Film Mode on my 850

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riooso /forum/post/16475429

I got the 850 yesterday and turned on Cinema and it works great, absolutely no flicker.

Thanks guys,

R

I've been wondering about this...

Can you actually tell a difference with it on versus with it off?

I always thought the crystal HD/cinema smooth was a hardware feature (i.e., an extra chip processor of some sort). Does it make sense Samsung would include the hardware and not turn it on? Or, does it make more sense that the 850/860 share the same firmware, hence the need for the option to turn cinema smooth on or off in the service menu?

Long story short, I wonder if there is any way to test whether cinema smooth is actually on the 850, as opposed to the firmware allowing the option to appear as a option in the settings, with no effect... this is frustrating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts