AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sammy is $679 for a 720p 42", going into a small room so size is good. This has a PC input

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218064392359

The Panny is $699, also a 720p 42", but no PC input. This lack of PC input is a dealbreaker as I want to watch internet vids on it and have a remote keyboard&mouse while on a sofa.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218061795104

I'd take the Panny if I could find a way to have the PC hook up to it. Panny has S-Video no PC; Sammy has PC input but no S-Video.

is there a way to convert the PC VGA (or whatever it's called) to HDMI, Composite, Component or S-Video??

·
Registered
276 Posts
In my opinion, im glad the s-video port is gone on the samsung. I still personally dont understand how review sites can say the lack of an s-video port is a mark against the tv. Any video that would come over it would look awful.

Anyway, there are plenty of vga to component cables available (going to be your best quality since vga does not play well with hdmi...digital/analog), and while you could find other cables or converter boxes to deal with a combo of vga to composite or s-video, i would say dont bother. Those signals would look very very poor on either of those sets, worse then a 10 year old tube tv.

If I were you, I wouldnt let the inputs of a tv be a deal breaker. More often then not there are multiple solutions to change the number or types of inputs. Either set will fit your needs in the computer hookup department.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i'm sorry, had to ask, but why would you want to use a plasma as a pc monitor. i am well aware of they myths of plasma and own one. this is the only downside i concede to when my friends tell me lcds are way better than plasmas. lcds are safer and better for monitor use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to watch youtube and other internet videos on the big screen. Show people family pics and whatever else one can do with a pc monitor. I won't use it for email, excel or any type of actual application of course. I do a lot of video editing and will continue to use the 17" crt.

if plasmas have pc input, how terrible can it be? Is there a much higher risk of burn in? If it's a moving picture, I'm not too worried - should I be?

I'm buying the B450 this week. Frys has it for 599, and strangely has the A450 for 999 ($400 more). Bizarre that last year's model is literally 66% more in price - is there a valid reason for this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts