AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some work in with this afternoon and came up with a great pic. with these settings on this tv.

Why is everyone setting there cell so high....I am seeing calibrated settings cell set at 10!

Try these settings and see what you think.

Mode-Movie

Cell Light-3

Contrast-79

Brightness-49

Sharpness-20

Color-50

Tint-50/50

Detailed Seetting:

Black Adjust-off

Dyn. Contrast-off

Gamma-0

Color Space-Auto

White Balance:

R-Offset-26

G- Offset-25

B- Offset-26

R-Gain-29

G-Gain-25

B-Gain-18

Flesh Tone-0

Edge Enhanc-off

Picture Options:

Cooler Tone-Warm2

Size-16:9

DNR-off

Film Mode-on

Blue Mode-off

Try them out on this T.V. and let me know what you think!

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Cell light is a bad idea at anything but 10. It messes with the gamma big time.

This is also the wrong forum area to be posting settings.

regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, for posting in the wrong thread! Neebie here.

Why is adjusting cell light bad? I think the pic looks amazing with it at 3 instead of 10. I use Calman calibration software, along with eye-one meter.

Where should this be posted?

Thanks, for the help!

·
Banned
3,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formul8 /forum/post/15462160

Sorry, for posting in the wrong thread! Neebie here.

Why is adjusting cell light bad? I think the pic looks amazing with it at 3 instead of 10. I use Calman calibration software, along with eye-one meter.

Where should this be posted?

Thanks, for the help!

Cell Light is a bogus setting Samsung added to fill an empty hole in their Menu system. Like all LCD panels, Samsung LCDs have a Backlight control that changes the brightness of the illumination behind the LCD panel. Plasma TVs don't have a backlight. Samsung wanted to use the same menu system in their LCDs and plasmas for simplicity's sake. So they dreamed up Cell Light. Which does nothing useful... at all.

As you increase the Cell Light setting, you stretch out the grayscale steps in below 25% white or so, and above 75% white or so, you compress grayscale steps so you end up losing both shadow and highlight detail. The Luminance curve becomes "S" shaped the lower you set Cell Light and "3" is a VERY low setting.

Samsung appparently realized that they screwed this up as early production panels had very large, very negative amounts of change between Cell Light = 10 and Cell Light = 0. At some point during production, they changed something and the later models have a much less pronounced change in response to altering the Cell Light setting... but STILL, the Cell Light setting DAMAGES the response of the panel even in newer production units. The only setting that give the correct response from the panel is "10" which is where Cell Light should be set and left forever.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:
I think the pic looks amazing with it at 3 instead of 10.

TV manufacturers continue to insist on throwing features into their wares that "amaze" unsuspecting and uninformed consumers by distorting the picture. Image fidelity is the authentic goal of correctly engineered video displays and calibration.

There are many adjustments a TV owner can use to screw up the picture "to taste." An individual viewer might even like various forms of image distortion. Viewers interested in image fidelity, artistic integrity, authentic picture quality, and display calibration should be learning what best practices really are; how to adhere to imaging industry standards and recommended practices.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your input. I am new to all the calibrarion stuff, just trying to learn, and this site is so HELPFUL...great info. Guess I will be setting that back to 10. Does the rest of the numbers look about par?

I guess I will go back through the calib. again to make sure everthing is still close.

Happy Calibrating.....there is alot to learn.

Thanks, again

·
Banned
3,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formul8 /forum/post/15467058

Thanks so much for your input. I am new to all the calibrarion stuff, just trying to learn, and this site is so HELPFUL...great info. Guess I will be setting that back to 10. Does the rest of the numbers look about par?

I guess I will go back through the calib. again to make sure everthing is still close.

Happy Calibrating.....there is alot to learn.

Thanks, again

Not sure how closely the A450 (768p) follows the A550 (1080p), but recommended settings have been posted a number of times in the A550 thread... that's probably your best source for a list of settings... start with those... but you may find you need something different to get the best results with your model. If there's not already an A450 thread, you may want to start one to see if others have arrived at some good settings you can try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Someone here said Cell Light is bogus. Is that really accurate?

According to a Samsung tech person (I'd post html link, but can't since newbie poster on AVS), the Cell Light controls the max voltage applied to the display on each line. So it's different than contrast in that contrast is a limit within the possible limits set by the Cell Light.

Thanks,

Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts