AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Plasma for well over a month now. I babied it for the first month by leaving it at 50 contrast and only playing movies and TV w/o static images on it. It's probably seen well over 100 hours. I hooked my Xbox 360 up to it last week and played some Madden 10. It was beautiful. I was previously playing on a 32" CRT I bought around 2002.

When I turned it off after playing for an hour or two I noticed that on the blank light black background (TV on but nothing coming in from input) there was a faint 'burn in'. It was a light white that I could only really see if I got down to that angle. It's still there, but seems to be getting lighter...

Is this just Image Retention? I checked the settings for the Xbox HDMI and it was set to 95 contrast! I changed it down to 50 and went back into game mode. Do I need to let it break in more or maybe just having the images from the game sit (it was only the white portions that were 'burned in') in 95 contrast caused it?

EDIT: Oh, and I only see it when the screen is blank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too have the same tv and noticed when playing The Saboteur on my PS3 I noticed some IR. But I had turned on Game Mode, which did make the picture brighter as it changed the tv to standard mode. I run the wash for a short while and it was able to take care of it.

Do you have the screen protection options turned on? If you do not I would suggest you set those up. As I said I do not play with Game Mode turned on anymore and just use Movie and some tweaks done. Not as bright as with Game Mode but I can live with it. Games look great on this set.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah its image retention. Happens on every plasma. Its nothing to worry about, as long as its only on black screens.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just run the wipe program for ten minutes and it'll go away. It'll start happening less and less frequently, too, as the screen ages.

·
Registered
748 Posts
We just purchased a PN50C450 and found the wife asleep with the TV left on. When the movie ended, it went back to the title screen. It had been on for several hours. I ran the cleaning program for about a hour, then went back to bed. Got up the next morning and still saw it. Ran it for a bit longer and it seemed to go away. I have been warning her about this for years, since our first big screen purchase. I think it finally sunk in almost damaging a new TV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts