AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen an owners thread for this TV. I brought this TV home last night and have been looking for calibration settings with no luck. Does anyone have calibration settings for this TV?

I looked up tweak TV but the do not have settings for this TV and recommend that users refer to the settings for this Samsung PN50A550 until they post something. I tried these settings but they don't really look very good.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for opening this thread, I was about to do the same

I just got my PN50B550 last Thursday. I upgraded from a Panasonic TC-37LZ85 and just wanted to give a try to Samsung now that I 'm going Plasma.

First question I have. What is this FilterBright thing? It is suppose to eliminate the glare? I ask because my screen looks like a mirror during the day. It is suppose to be there or do I have to activate something? The set is excellent, but I am about to consider an anti-glare film just to make this visible during the day.

Second. When I use the HDMI/DVI input it works with my computer (Sony VAIO PCV-RS420 with Radeon 200) but as soon as I switch to TV and go back to HDMI/DVI, the signal is gone to not be seen again.

The only way to have it back is to turn off the computer and turn it on again. Other solution is to have the settings of the computer card to turn off the power of the video card if there is no activity for more than 5 minutes. Then, after having loose the signal, all that I have to do is to wait five minutes before moving the mouse and the signal appears. That is a good workaround, but I just wonder if there is a way to tell the set "listen, don't look up further, your signal is 1600X1200 60 Hz and that's it"

Burn in observation: Pretty bad the first hours, then the set recovers in minutes.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
There is an active topic on larger siblings of the 50" 550 here that has many picture settings posted that should work for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128688

As to some of the second posters comments:

1) FilterBright is the branded name of the most basic entry-level anti-glare filter for the plasma line. There are three tiers of quality and unfortunately the 550 has the most basic level. Starting with the 560 and above (including the 590 and all the Series 6), you get the substantially better Ultra FilterBright. The Series 8's have the top tier "Ultra FilterBright Plus" (sounds like a laundry detergent to me). All plasma's will have a more reflective screen than LCD's by design. And the anti-glare coating also contributes to perceived contrast.

2) If it goes away its not burn in which by definition is permanent. You are experiencing image retention (or IR) which is temporary and will not permanently hard your set. I haven't had mine (a 590) long enough to see if it gets better over time. Mine has actually gotten somewhat worse. But it doesn't bother me during regular viewing and I simply run the scrolling feature from the menu for 20 minutes or so here and there to wipe it away. This feature was provided specifically to counteract image retention.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraThompson /forum/post/16932359

Thank you for opening this thread, I was about to do the same

I just got my PN50B550 last Thursday. I upgraded from a Panasonic TC-37LZ85 and just wanted to give a try to Samsung now that I 'm going Plasma.

First question I have. What is this FilterBright thing? It is suppose to eliminate the glare? I ask because my screen looks like a mirror during the day. It is suppose to be there or do I have to activate something? The set is excellent, but I am about to consider an anti-glare film just to make this visible during the day.

Second. When I use the HDMI/DVI input it works with my computer (Sony VAIO PCV-RS420 with Radeon 200) but as soon as I switch to TV and go back to HDMI/DVI, the signal is gone to not be seen again.

The only way to have it back is to turn off the computer and turn it on again. Other solution is to have the settings of the computer card to turn off the power of the video card if there is no activity for more than 5 minutes. Then, after having loose the signal, all that I have to do is to wait five minutes before moving the mouse and the signal appears. That is a good workaround, but I just wonder if there is a way to tell the set "listen, don't look up further, your signal is 1600X1200 60 Hz and that's it"

Burn in observation: Pretty bad the first hours, then the set recovers in minutes.

In response to your question, I had a similar problem hooking up my Mac Mini to the TV, but I think the problem fixed itself when I bypassed my Receiver and used another HDMI input port. I also set the port as PC DVI, which also fixed some other issues I had with the image. I am able to view 1900 X 1080 @ 60Hz.

My burn in, are you referring to burn in as in using the TV, or are you experiencing IR issues? I have read that high contrast can cause this problem.

I am still looking for settings for this TV - any ideas?

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Minor correction. The B560 does not come with Ultra Filterbright. It comes with Filterbright like on the B550. The B560 adds Cinema Smooth, and if I'm not mistaken the Crystal Full HD engine. The B590 and B650 have Ultra Filterbright. The 8 series come with Ultra Filterbright Plus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well this Filterbright doesn't filter bright at all. I have this TV in angle with my walk in closed just beside my living room. I use to get rid of my bra as soon as I come home, but now I got to be careful if I have guest because this TV reflects the whole scene.

There are some guys how sell a plastic film that you put on the screen to fix the problem, but it would be a shame because the set look nice as it is.

I didn’t know the difference between Burn-in and IR, thank you for the clarification.

I guess what I observed was IR because it goes away after two minutes (by keep resizing the windows when used as a monitor).

I found these settings for the 650. I am trying them and they look pretty good in my B550

forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_102-0.html?threadID=345810&tag=forums06;forum-threads

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
As a fellow owner of a PN50B550, here are the settings I have after using a Blu-ray copy of DVE HD Basics Calibration disc:

Movie Mode

Cell Light 8

Contrast 80

Brightness 53

Sharpness 0

Color Saturation 47

Tint 50/50

Black Tone Off

Dynamic Contrast Off

Gamma -1

Color Space Auto

White Balance (All set to 25)

Flesh Tone -1

Edge Enhancement Off

Color Tone Warm2

Digital NR Auto

Film Mode Off

(Note, I watch my TV in a completely dark room with absolutely no reflections, so the picture may look very dark if your room is even a little bit bright....but these are as close to real picture settings as I have gotten without a professional calibration)

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Well, the Filterbright on the 4/5 series Samsungs (the B590 excepted, which uses Ultra Filterbright) is, as you've discovered, not anything to get excited about. If it's still possible, I would consider exchanging your set by upgrading your B550 to the B650, which has a darker filter. The B650 has a number of other features that, in my view, make it worthwhile to upgrade for only about $150-200. For around the same price as the B550 I would go with the B560, because it not only adds Cinema Smooth, but I don't think the B550 comes with the Full Crystal HD engine. But I can't say for sure, because Samsung always disseminates confusing and contradictory specs that even Sherlock Holmes would have trouble sorting out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
great thread! just picked up this TV after doing a lot of research. picture looks amazing but I have some early concerns with IR. I have only had the TV for about a week and have had it on only 6 hours total if I had to guess.

after gaming with an xbox 360 for very short intervals of time with virtually no static images I notice IR. for instance, hitting pause and having the menu come up for only a short amount of time, then returning to the game produces noticable IR for me. The IR doesnt last too long, but is this something that will go away once the TV is properly broken in? I turned down the contrast and brightness from day 1, but is this IR normal? I am considering taking the TV back and getting an LCD. Are there recomended setting for the break in period?

finally, does anyone know if the TV requires a firmware update? the info on Samsung's site is sub par.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There's a smoking deal for this set on Big River right now. Actually, its so good that they've actually hidden it from plain view. Aaah but here I come to the rescue!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50B5...0491280&sr=8-1 Now click on the Amazon.com 'Add To cart' option on the right hand side under 'More buying options.' Once you're on the checkout page add coupon code: 76KKPIAG to your total. I can see your jaw dropping to the floor once you see the final price. Next, remember not to scream and scare everyone in your area. Now complete the transaction and pretend that the 1-2 month delivery time isn't going to be too long a wait. You're Welcome

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
UPDATE: The sale is now over. Amazing to see this set being had for well under a grand.

The 1-2 month time is the delivery time estimated by amazon once you buy the set. Definitely outside the normal delivery period. 'Possible that it was on backorder during the sale period.

For all of you out there who missed out, this set can still be had for a grand and change. The above link and coupon code still applies. I don't see future prices matching this anytime soon. I'll be shocked if this is still running by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus /forum/post/16930233

I have not seen an owners thread for this TV. I brought this TV home last night and have been looking for calibration settings with no luck. Does anyone have calibration settings for this TV?

I looked up tweak TV but the do not have settings for this TV and recommend that users refer to the settings for this Samsung PN50A550 until they post something. I tried these settings but they don't really look very good.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance!

I found these setting while lurking around the net. Hope they help. I am going to try these settings and will report back on the picture quality. BTW, just bought my set a week ago so I am still getting used to the controls and settings. I still haven't quite determined what the cell light does but will post when I find a reasonable answer. Won't let me post the URL until I submit 3 posts therefore:

White Balance Settings

Red-Offset 22 Red-Gain 33

Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25

Blue-Offset 12 Blue-Gain 33

Picture Settings

Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off

Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off

Brightness 56 Gamma: 0

Contrast 90 Color Space: Auto

Color 53 Flesh Tone: Off

Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off

Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto

Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low

Film Mode: Auto

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerM57 /forum/post/17072260

I found these setting while lurking around the net. Hope they help. I am going to try these settings and will report back on the picture quality. BTW, just bought my set a week ago so I am still getting used to the controls and settings. I still haven't quite determined what the cell light does but will post when I find a reasonable answer. Won't let me post the URL until I submit 3 posts therefore:

White Balance Settings

Picture Settings

Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low

Film Mode: Auto

I like these settings but I feel they have a green/yellow tint to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUJeremyZ28 /forum/post/17073031

I like these settings but I feel they have a green/yellow tint to them.

I wondered about that while looking at the White Balance settings. The settings posted were taken from ******************* site. They were derived by their test algorithm. I won't be able to try until late this weekend but will possibly be able to post a snapshot when the setup is done.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere /forum/post/17017948

UPDATE: The sale is now over. Amazing to see this set being had for well under a grand.

The 1-2 month time is the delivery time estimated by amazon once you buy the set. Definitely outside the normal delivery period. 'Possible that it was on backorder during the sale period.

For all of you out there who missed out, this set can still be had for a grand and change. The above link and coupon code still applies. I don't see future prices matching this anytime soon. I'll be shocked if this is still running by tomorrow.

The coupon/promo code doesn't seem to work...how much was this set then?

·
Registered
1 Posts
for the life of me i cannot find the white balance settings menu. and i purchased the PN50B550...please help me set these settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerM57 /forum/post/17072260

White Balance Settings

Picture Settings